Author Topic: I'm New and Curious, HELP THE NEW GUY :D  (Read 4910 times)

KrAzEeSiK

I'm New and Curious, HELP THE NEW GUY :D
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:48:18 PM »
Meditation has always been something I have found interesting when I have seen it, whether it be in movies or driving by a group of Monk's in the middle of nowhere.  I have been reading up and studying on meditation for the past few weeks after sparking an interest again.  I would like some personal advice or even opinions on how to go about starting practicing and what sort of things I need to focus on, the ins and outs of the practice.  I am open to any questions about myself or anything else anyone would like to ask to get a better understanding.  Don't feel shy, but seeing as I am not sure what information you may want I am not sure where to begin exactly.  Any guidance and experience would be greatly appreciated, and I hope to begin a healing path that will enrich my way of life, rather than being self destructive with the things that clutter my own mind.  I DO tend to ramble on many occasions, so if you get lost with anything I say just let me know and I'll try to better lay things out. 

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: I'm New and Curious, HELP THE NEW GUY :D
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:02:40 AM »
Jeremy,

Start here please. This is calm-abiding practice instructions - the beginning of a path good in the beginning, middle and end. It is a very balanced way with none of the pitfalls that some more forceful techniques can bring.

If you have any questions about the practice ask.

If you want to experience it with another to begin we can do so on Skype tomorrow at 12pm London time (7am NY) or at 7pm London time (2pm NY 11am LA). If you wish to PM me your Skype addy and a time.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

KrAzEeSiK

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:41:44 PM »
What sort of ways do you find it easiest to follow the sensations of your body?  And by this, what exactly is it meaning? Basically a loss of just "hearing" (not literal), and more of a conscience awareness of the slight sensations moving in your body? Or am I over thinking that much of it?

KrAzEeSiK

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
Also, I am seeing different people talking about mindfulness, and other sorts of practice? Is there a major difference in the effects of each, or is it just making a particular focus on something else?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »
Jeremy,

Forget about the words. The words and identification with them are the problem.

FEEL your body as you breathe in and out, RELAX your body as you breathe in and out, BE aware of what arises and falls in your bodymind without clinging to or rejecting. ust be aware, relax, breathe and feel.

It's all in the text linked above - read it, try, ask questions.

DON'T believe me or anyone - find out through your own experience.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Relaxing: Making yourself at home
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
Hello KrAzEeSik,

You mention that you are curious in learning what sort of opinions everyone has to offer you.
Well then, here is my two cents.

You mention, that before you start, you want to make sure you know your intentions. That is a beautiful start, and it is something to come back to once in a while, even after a lot of experience. It is very worthwhile to know that one starts with the best of intentions.

One thing that helps, is seeing what brought you to meditation. I read: "Meditation has always been something I have found interesting when I have seen it, whether it be in movies or driving by a group of Monk's in the middle of nowhere." It might be a good thing, even in a practical way, to make a collage of pictures, quotes, inspirations that you can reflect upon and turn back to now and then, to keep your inspiration.

"I hope to begin a healing path that will enrich my way of life   . . .   ". That is a beautiful starting point also, and a point to come back to. Hoping is an activity - just like loving is. There are moments in life where one needs to actively go back to one's heart and good intentions, actively call forth the warmth in one's heart. Actively look at what is good and proper, simply to keep walking on a path with beauty. Well, you mention that yourself already in the rest of the sentence that I quoted: "   . . .   rather than being self destructive with the things that clutter my own mind".
In this half of the sentence, you indicate, that you do not identify yourself with "the things that clutter your mind". That is also a good point, and a point that will be made again and again while walking the path of meditation.

Oh, as a forum name you chose KrAzEeSik. A name can be used as an indication of who one is and what one is. The name you chose sounds very much like "Crazy Sick". I suppose you know that. It might be a proper description of you situation, but to me it does not sound like a name that someone would call you by if they wanted you to come home.  ;) If it gives you power and courage to call yourself KrAzEeSik, then it is OK with me. But to describe where you are now in life, I would prefer something like: the-one-who-went-beyond-what-most-people-experience-and-who-is-returning-home. That is a very short name too  ;) .So: something that acknowledges the craziness, and still allows a positive focus. Gone-beyond-and-coming-back would be shorter already.
Well, just a thought. You will find something if you need it.

So, I did not write about shamatha or about vipassana. In a figure of speech: I spoke about where to sit down to have a safe feeling, about how to find a place where one can feel warmth.

Welcome.

Quardamon

KrAzEeSiK

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
I take all those words with the greatest kindness that I can, and also that you took the time to analyze even the smallest of situations and give me an honest outlook on what you seem to see.  It's a very uplifting thing to know people can dig deep into the core of even words and how you identify yourself, to see that even a "name" can show the sort of things you've been through.  You were correct, it is identifying the past, but as you mentioned, I also see it as a source of courage in myself also.  I came up with the name a few years ago as my gamertag for XBOX live, and ever since I've been "known" for that name, several different reasons, but nobody has actually stopped to ask or analyze the reasoning behind it.  For that I am really appreciative, and it makes you feel as if someone else can find the pain, even without literally conveying it.

KrAzEeSiK

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:04:05 AM »
I also have a question about "focus" related practice.  For example, since I am now playing college golf, I want to take my time before my competitions and meditate, and/or focus or calm myself in general.  Is there any certain concepts to grasp in order to more clearly organize a session on FOCUS itself, or does it actually come in conjunction with a healthy and regular practice (meditation of course, not golf)?

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »
I would think visualising the game ahead, and being in the golf 'head space', the best way to use that time.  experiment though, there are plenty of different techniques out there for sportsmen I'm sure. Visualisation has worked for me with running, though I find being mildly distracted better that concentrated, so each to his own. Reminds me of Chevy Chase in Caddy Shack   

Caddyshack - Chevy Chase shares his wisdom
getting it done

Alexanderjohn

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Is there any certain concepts to grasp in order to more clearly organize a session on FOCUS itself, or does it actually come in conjunction with a healthy and regular practice (meditation of course, not golf)?

Good question. Grasping concepts is one of the habits you start to want to inquire into with your daily practice. Observe the physical sensations of the experience of grasping, along with the conscious experience and thought trails that follow when your mindfulness pulls you back to the present where you realise what you've been doing and then wonder how this keeps happening so you try to grasp the concept of "relaxation" and "mindfulness" and the cycle continues and continues... Until you can just breathe  :)

Now for the actual answer. I went to a driving range recently and stood mindfully of my body, vision gently focused on the ball until my thought trails finished and for a few still moments was just poised, breathing, mindful of the ball. This allowed me to feel the subtle tensions in my bodymind that would screw up my shot, to feel the subtle urge to smack it as hard as I can or try to impress my friends with a long shot. Instead of letting these muscle tensions control my shot I raised my arms mindfully, eyes still gently focused on the ball, and delivered the shot. I must say, it was a damn fine sshot. I Managed to getthis focus a few more times as well that day.

I think this was due to both a daily meditation practice and a particularly mindful day, but it worked. Instead of just being super focused, it was more about being aware of what habits were interfering with the shot and mindfully correcting them.

KrAzEeSiK

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »
Instead of just being super focused, it was more about being aware of what habits were interfering with the shot and mindfully correcting them.

This is a great and positive way to clearly understand how easily your body and mind can choke you up over something so simple, that you do repetitively and skillfully.  I think this could be something that could help anyone improve lots of different functions, it may not always fix it, but I also believe that it will increase anyone's success rate whether under pressure or just out by yourself.  Very nicely stated, I really like it, thank you.