Author Topic: mixing techniques, what does it mean?  (Read 5796 times)

inconditus

mixing techniques, what does it mean?
« on: February 24, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
Hello all,

This might have been asked previously but if so I couldn't find it though a simple keyword search so I am asking again  :angel:

The "idea" of what is mixing techniques is confusing to me. Why is it bad? Are all techniques separate or are some complimentary?

For example, when I was on my Goenka retreat it mentioned that Vipassana and yoga can be practiced together; however, one is not to practice yoga during the 10 days. He also seems to not approve of "energy healing," as when I was looking at one of the old student retreats one pre-req is to not be a practitioner of energy healing on others or the self.

These are just two examples and I know that "Goenka Vipassana" has differences than other sects. So is this just Goenka's thing or is it universal? While I was there I also had a hard time understanding the terminology of staying within the physical, and not to use one's imagination. I'm gussing this is why Goenka doesn't approve of reiki but if one finds physical benefit from it then how is it imaginary? And doesn't EVERYTHING originate in the mind anyways? So wouldn't that mean our whole reality is imaginary?  Similarly I had an issue with ... hmm... how do I want to word this "non physical/incarnate beings(?)" like spirit guides, angels etc. and how are these entities not real? Similarly I don't understand the idea of impermanence because time is not linear the past is continuing to happen now and in the future and future events are happening now and in the past...err everything that was is and will be is now. We just can't perceive it.

Ack. This turned from a simple question to something more. I do believe that everyone has to come to their own Truth and realization and walk their own path. I'm just confused that why I "can't" or "shouldn't" practice Vipassana-which is awareness more than a meditation technique anyways, Anapana, reiki, mantra meditation, yoga, and remain in contact with non incarnate beings all at the same time. Why are they contradictory?

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
Re: mixing techniques, what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
I wouldn't know if anything is incompatable with anything else where 'energy' is concerned , except to say that excessive imagination about energy has side tracked me over the years and not got any lasting results. YMMV.
getting it done

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
Hello Inconditus,

The "idea" of what is mixing techniques is confusing to me. Why is it bad?
Nothing is "bad". Mixing Vipassana with other techniques of meditation is not recommended, because it could result in unwanted consequences.

Are all techniques separate or are some complimentary?
Some techniques are complimentary. Some others should not be practiced together.

For example, when I was on my Goenka retreat it mentioned that Vipassana and yoga can be practiced together; however, one is not to practice yoga during the 10 days.
Both advice are meant for different contexts. You are mixing them. While in the retreat, the practitioner should do only Vipassana. While off-retreat, if anyone does yoga, he can do so at the same time being aware of the sensations throughout the body. Even old students who do yoga are usually asked not to do it during retreat, just to ensure that the rules apply equally to everyone, and that the new students do not get confused regarding the instructions. 

He also seems to not approve of "energy healing," as when I was looking at one of the old student retreats one pre-req is to not be a practitioner of energy healing on others or the self.
The GVF tradition does not have anything against energy-healing practices, like Reiki, Pranic-healing etc, but, during the course, it is absolutely essential that those SHOULD NOT be practiced. And also, if the student wishes to continue to practice Vipassana off-retreat, he should discontinue using Reiki, Pranic healing etc, either for himself or for others. This is only for the safety as well as benefit of the practitioner himself, NOT because practicing energy-healing techniques is bad or something.   

I'm gussing this is why Goenka doesn't approve of reiki but if one finds physical benefit from it then how is it imaginary?
As already indicated, it is not a question of the teacher approving/disapproving reiki, neither can it be denied that Reiki provides benefit to its practitioner as well as others. If the person wishes to practice reiki alone, there is absolutely no problem. But Reiki and Vipassana should never be practiced together. Also, the tradition does not have anything against imagination. It is just that in Vipassana, there is no place for imagination/verbalization. Vipassana has to deal ONLY with the here and now. Always the PRESENT REALITY is the focus in Vipassana. Any imagination is brought in, that takes one away from the present, either to the past or to the future. But, Vipassana is about staying FULLY PRESENT. If one wishes to practice other techniques which use imagination, there is no problem in that.

Similarly I had an issue with ... hmm... how do I want to word this "non physical/incarnate beings(?)" like spirit guides, angels etc. and how are these entities not real?
Not sure what is the "issue" you have here. Please clarify.

I'm just confused that why I "can't" or "shouldn't" practice Vipassana-which is awareness more than a meditation technique anyways, Anapana, reiki, mantra meditation, yoga, and remain in contact with non incarnate beings all at the same time. Why are they contradictory?
You are strongly advised not to mix Vipassana with other techniques. It is for your own benefit.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

inconditus

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
thank you for the detailed response Vivek, I didn't realize how repetitive my post was until you broke it down like that  :angel:

That makes perfect sense that the reason one is not to practice yoga at the retreats is to not confuse new students.

What I meant about the spirit guides section of my post is just that I don't understand the differentiation between "real" and "imaginary," for example during the retreat I kept in contact with my spirit guides but didn't tell anyone. My husband did the same but mentioned it to the teacher asking what his opinion is on spirits. My husband said the the teacher just had this shocked/stern look on his face and just responded "don't talk to them." He wouldn't answer any questions on why just repeated that one is to stay in reality and to not communicate with spirits. Why?

But Reiki and Vipassana should never be practiced together.

Are you saying that reiki and Vipassana should not be practiced during the same sitting? Or that one should not practice, for example, Vipassana meditation at 7am and reiki  at 2pm?

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
You're welcome, Inconditus.
I didn't realize how repetitive my post was until you broke it down like that
That is not a problem at all. :) There are no shoulds or should-nots as far questions related to the path are concerned.

Thanks for clarification on the spirits part.
What I meant about the spirit guides section of my post is just that I don't understand the differentiation between "real" and "imaginary," for example during the retreat I kept in contact with my spirit guides but didn't tell anyone.
I trust that you know for sure that what you term as "spirit guides" are real entities (visible only to you though) and not creations of your own mind. I have no experience whatsoever with such things, so I am going to assume that you have some ability which I do not have, to see and communicate with such entities. If they are real to you, then that's it, nobody else has the right to tell you that they are imaginary. Only question is, do they cause any disturbance to your practice on-retreat? If not, there are no issues. You need to carry on with your work in the retreat. However, by contact, due you mean you were constantly communicating with them? If so, I would say that is not going with the spirit of attending a retreat. You are to maintain noble silence and NOT communicate with ANYTHING, whether visible or invisible, throughout the retreat. Not telling the teacher about this, is OK, considering how he reacted to your husband's telling about this.

My husband said the the teacher just had this shocked/stern look on his face and just responded "don't talk to them."
I won't totally agree that what the teacher did was right. Especially the stern look part. We need to understand that many people come out as assistant teachers from Global Vipassana Foundation every year, and not all of them embody that compassion and wisdom that a true teacher ought to have. So, such instances wherein a teacher falls short of expectations (not ours, but the masters') and respond in less than effective ways to students' queries/concerns, can be quite normal. Any way, the "don't talk to them" can be taken as an admonishment, even though it looks like it was not really meant that way. As I said earlier, you really are not supposed to talk to anything/anyone throughout the course. So, let's take it in good sense. :)

Are you saying that reiki and Vipassana should not be practiced during the same sitting?
Let me try to make it even more clear: Reiki and Vipassana should be practiced NEITHER in the same sitting, nor separately. A person who practices Reiki should NEVER practice Vipassana as taught in GVF's courses. If he wishes to practice Vipassana on and off-retreat, he must discontinue the practice of Reiki entirely. I am aware that this is applicable to Pranic healing as well, but not sure about EFT, TFT etc. To be on the safer side, this be applied to all energy-healing practices.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Lokuttara

• Trekking the hills of dhamma
    • Vipassanamurti
    • Love cycling into the blue skies and enjoying the first touches of Spring!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
I don't know much about energy healing practices, but I can give you an account of what happened to a friend of mine who combined techniques.

He had been doing three Vipassana courses each year for a couple of years, and he'd also been attending holotropic breathwork sessions, as taught by Stanislav Grof. But number 1, he went against the rules of holotropic breathwork and continued practicing it on his own, outside of the group sessions.

Number 2, he applied for a 20-day Vipassana course. On this course, he used the aid of both Vipassana and holotropic breathwork to enable him to go into very deep healing sessions.

Result: He almost went insane, and on the 19th day he was taken off the course due to strange behaviour. It was a Dhamma Dipa in the UK, and they allowed him to do some gardening and had some meetings with him to get him to relax and "come back" after the breakdown he had on the course. He was banned from doing any courses pending further notice. Gradually, over the years and after many more meetings with teachers, he was accepted back to serve, and eventually got back into sitting 10-day courses. He has left the holotropic breathwork behind as he sees Vipassana as the "real deal".

Just a word to the wise. Mixing techniques gives unpredictable results.

Why are we in such a rush to become enlightened? :)
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti