Author Topic: Stephen and Martine Batchelor - secular buddhism  (Read 2052 times)

Cilla

Stephen and Martine Batchelor - secular buddhism
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »
http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/169/talk/14270/

This is a talk by stephen about secular buddhism. He's always worth listening to.

At the moment these are the two people who speak to me the most clearly about what sort of buddhism i want to practice.

They teach vipassana meditation. Stephen was a tibetan monk before leaving and becoming a zen monk in Korea where he met Martine who was a zen nun. Now they travel the world teaching the dharma and making a good effort at bringing buddhism to the west without the cultural baggage of the other countries its been in. This talk discusses this aspect, among other things. Stephen is a rigorous buddhist scholar. He's translated shantideva, nagarjuna and now he's been working with the Pali Canon for some years.

For me the only thing missing from their method is an effort to establish buddhist centres. However they are connected with centres and there are more website popping up around the place calling themselves secular buddhism.

Also their teachings appeal to western buddhists from all traditions. Our tibetan nun is soon going on her second study retreat with stephen and Martine. I can't afford to go but maybe next year i can.

They write books and stephen has an excellent readable style. I've one twice and its as good the second time round as the first. Martine is also a good writer but i didn't get to read the whole book of hers i bought because i bought it for my sister. I've got another one coming in the post. its about Changing habits.  I heard her talk about this topic and i think the book is going to be interesting and helpful.

So if anyone has the slightest interest, i'd urge you to follow up on these guys. Their books, their websites, their podcasts and their retreats.

Upaya.org has an 10 day retreat in podcasts which records some guided meditation by martine and talks by them both.