Author Topic: Odd sensations in the left side of my face  (Read 5466 times)

Dream

Odd sensations in the left side of my face
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum but not to meditation. I have been practicing "artisanal" meditation for years, just lying on my bed and trying to clear my mind. I am a "naturally" very anxious person and I have problem to concentrate in my everyday life. Althought meditation has provided me with great moments, it could never defeat once for all my anxiety. Lately, I have been experiencing some odd sensations while meditating. I have been experiencing plethora of sensations, varying by intensity, nature and location. It's a shame there are no words to describe sensations, as there are for colors and tastes, but still, I ought to render them so you can hopefully give me some explanation about them. Those last couple of mouths, I have been experiencing persistent sensations in the left side of my face, and in my tight leg.

The sensations in the left side of my face are:

Some kind of pressures, like somebody was pushing from this inside, this happens generally just under my left eye.

I also feel I burning sensation in my left nose trill when I expire, this sensation occurs quite rarely thought.

A spiky sensation just under my nose and on the left end of my mouth, like someone would stick a needle, but it's never painful!

Stretching sensation on my left eyebrow.

On my right leg, I feel this kind of electric sensation, on my tigh and sometimes my muscles are shaking, and sometime I get my sole cramped and it can hurt.

I would be glad to hear if some of you have came across similar things, and I would like to understand what it is with the left side of my face.

Thank you in advance, JB

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Odd sensations in the left side of my face
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
It seems that you are not practicing Vipassana, but some other technique. Normally, a Vipassana practitioner is advised to watch whatever sensation presents itself throughout the body, and there is good reason to suggest that. But, without a background in the Vipassana, it may prove counter-productive to suggest anything related to that. However, I would point out one thing: there is absolutely no gain in trying to understand the why's and wherefore's of any sensation, it will only keep you stuck in loops. Also, it is of little benefit to be too concerned about the nature of bodily sensations. The best thing would be, to learn to observe it impartially, and check whether it changes, subsides, increases etc.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Hi JB,
Are these persistant sensations? or only when you are meditating? if they are there all the time, make sure you get yourself check by a doctor. Not everything is a symptom of meditation  ;)

I hope you find what you need.

Andrew
getting it done

Cilla

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
I agree with Vivek, there's no need to get worried by these sensations and to try to figure out what they are. However, i would also suggest that perhaps the reason you have become aware of them lately is because your concentration is "sharpening" as Goenka would say.

In goenka vipassana when we are taught to become more aware of sensations throughout the body, we find that we become aware of heaps of funny little sensations that we might never have noticed before because our mind was too preoccupied with thoughts and other activities.

So i would suggest that its possible that your mediation might be improving. None of these sensations sound harmful. They all sound quite normal except for the cramp which could be due to your posture or if it happens at other times could be due to dehydration and lack of salt. I"ve got a bit of experience with cramps in my feet and calves. Suspect your posture as being the first cause unless you are simply lying straight on your back or sitting upright in a chair with feet flat on teh ground. If you are  doing either of those things then start adding a little pinch of salt to your meals and make sure you drink enough water.

Are your living conditions such that you could be suffering from lack of salt and consequent dehydration?

The electric sensation in your thigh or shivering/shaking sensations could also be to do with your posture. Are you relaxed and comfortable in your posture or are you holding yourself tense. Try to become aware of any tension in your muscles and deliberately relax those muscle.

Nothing else sounds like its of any consequence. Try not to worry about stuff.

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
Are these persistant sensations? or only when you are meditating? if they are there all the time, make sure you get yourself check by a doctor. Not everything is a symptom of meditation
Seconded.

Dream

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »

Are your living conditions such that you could be suffering from lack of salt and consequent dehydration?

I never eat salt, for some reason I always thought that it was harmful, I will follow your advice and have some. However I water myself correctly. I also drink lots of green tea.

Hi JB,
Are these persistant sensations? or only when you are meditating? if they are there all the time, make sure you get yourself check by a doctor. Not everything is a symptom of meditation  ;)

I hope you find what you need.

Andrew

They can happen all the time, generally when I'm relaxed and more aware of my body. They generally don't come if I have to concentrate on something. I thought about getting myslef checked by a doctor, but I have to say that doctors nearly always disappointed me in the past, by having no clue about my issues.

Thank you for your answers  :)

Cilla

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:20:15 AM »
I never eat salt, for some reason I always thought that it was harmful, I will follow your advice and have some. However I water myself correctly. I also drink lots of green tea.

Salt is not harmful. Too much salt is harmful. As is not enough. The body needs about 1 tsp of salt per day. You've probably been getting some salt through your other foods.

You can drink as much as you like but if you do not have enough salt, you can still be dehydrated. The way salt works is to attract water. So when we have more salt in our body, we hold more water also.

Did you not do the experiment at school with the frog. Anyway read up on the proecess  of osmosis on google.

Cilla

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:21:36 AM »
They can happen all the time, generally when I'm relaxed and more aware of my body. They generally don't come if I have to concentrate on something. I thought about getting myslef checked by a doctor, but I have to say that doctors nearly always disappointed me in the past, by having no clue about my issues.

Sounds like you are preoccuppied with your health and your body.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
JB,

I disagree with those who have said there is no point trying to understand a sensation. From personal experience I can tell you this is a) very important and b) where a lot of meditators practice fails.

You mention that you have always been anxious and I am supposing this is something that was triggered at a early age in you, please let me know if this is incorrect? If you want to discuss anything private feel free to PM me.

With regards to the physical issues, you do not seem over-occupied with them from where I stand. They may be quite important and directly linked with the anxiety issues you are having. The doctors are unlikely to be able to recognise the complexity of what is going on, depending on what is going on ! - this is much more likely to be the issue than you being "too much of a worrier" - or whatever.

Doctors do not know everything. In fact there is quite little they do know on the whole. In some areas they know almost nothing. Trauma in the body at a young age and it's manifestations in adult life falls squarely in this category and most of the work in this area by medical professionals is completely misdirected at worst and not much better at best.

Would you please try a couple of experiments and let me know your findings?

1) Gently rotate your head to look to one side, return, rest, and then to the centre, rest, to the the other side, rest, back to centre. Repeat a good few times starting in both directions and try everything a few times to become mindful of the sensations.

Notice if there is any difference in sensation. Notice if you "lead" with your eyes when looking to the side or if the eyes follow your head - or if there is a difference between the two sides. Notice if you use the same muscles in your neck both sides - or not. Feel for the Sternocleidomastoid muscle in your neck particularly - both the clavicular and sternal attachments - see if there is any imbalance in these muscle groups or any others in your neck/upper chest/upper back that you can identify.

(You could start practicing the following technique when moving: if you are going to turn your head OR body to the right, first move the right eyes in that direction, let the head follow your eyes, bring your neck round and so on. If you are turning to the left, first move the left eyes ... etc)

2) Can you fully arch your back? Particularly behind the bottom of the rib cage around the Lumbar-Thoracic junction at L1 (top lumbar vertebrae) and T12 (lowest chest/thoracic vertebrae). If you can or can not arch your back behind this area where the diaphragm is I would be interested to know. Also a little higher in the middle of the Thoracic spine, around T3- 7 how is your flexibility and ability to arch?

You may have to actually feel your spine as you arch your back to know if you are successfully arching right behind the diaphragm or if there is a little section of your back that does not arch.

3) Legs. Please could you stand on each leg in turn with the other leg raised up so the thigh is horizontal pointing in front of you. Get someone to push straight down hard on each leg as you resist and estimate if the force required to press down/resist is equal, different or hard to tell between your two legs.

4) Feet - walk a little and pay attention to where you carry your bodyweight on each foot, how that weight is transfered to the hips and pelvis - and pay attention to  differences. Also stand on each foot with the other leg raised slightly up in the air and try to see if you can push down with the big toe into the ground (the foot you are standing on). Is there any difference here between your two feet?

Welcome to the forums. You can PM me the results of all the above if you wish to try them or post it in here, as you choose.

Kind regards,

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:59:16 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
It'll be great if JB posts the results here. I'll be interested to know them.

Cilla

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 01:39:23 AM »
Matthew it seems to me that the OP was concerned there was some medical problem underlying his sensations. This sounded like worry too much to me.

Of course it does seem like there was a medical problem re the cramps  so his concern there was not misplaced. But the other sensations do not sound like pain and we all know that pain is generally a warning signal that something should be check out.

This is the thing, when you start to observe your sensations, you notice a lot of funny things you never noticed before. Mostly, and as goenka teaches, its just the body moving around inside itself - the blood, the capillaries, heat and cold changes will cause sensations throughout the body. Sitting in one spot will cause sensations as pressure mounts up. Tension in the mind will cause sensations.

None of this is of medical concern at this stage.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:14 AM »

How could you possibly know that Cilla? Assuming you are a doctor (as only a doctor should go around talking about 'medical concern' ) have you examined JB? Done tests?

Please do not make statements like this, even if you are a doctor, as they are not useful.
getting it done

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »
Matthew it seems to me that the OP was concerned there was some medical problem underlying his sensations. This sounded like worry too much to me.

Your beliefs about the situation are of absolutely no relevance.

EDIT: The above does not really reflect what I wished to say and was written in haste. I apologise for the bluntness and sentiment.

It is not about views having relevance, everyone's views have relevance. It's about the dynamics of certain interactions. We can discuss this in another thread perhaps.

How could you possibly know that Cilla? Assuming you are a doctor (as only a doctor should go around talking about 'medical concern' ) have you examined JB? Done tests?

Please do not make statements like this, even if you are a doctor, as they are not useful.

Ditto Andrew. If JB tries the experiments (tests) I have proposed we will discover some relevant information.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:00:41 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~