Author Topic: How to really cleanse your mind - Recommended Reading :)  (Read 2865 times)

Morning Dew

How to really cleanse your mind - Recommended Reading :)
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
Just a tiny teezer ;) I love this elaboration;
Ah! If I reflect right, sort my thoughts, catch them right when they come up and purify my thinking step by step by adding more good thoughts, chastising bad thoughts, gradually changing my thinking towards the wholesome and good, I act like  the doorkeeper in the Buddha’s simile of sati. This doorkeeper promotes sense restraint. And sense restraint means I will not fall for unwholesome qualities of my mind which could break my sila which in due course would destroy my mental energy break up my concentration and destroy my efforts in building up wisdom. You translate sati as memory and sampajaññā as awareness. In the above steps of progression it fits in nicely, as memory is essential after listening to the Dhamma to remember and continously go over the “thoughts of the Dhamma” in this form of contemplative meditation. What was the simile of sati as the doorkeeper again?

[The Buddha:] …”Similarly, o monks, just when there is a doorkeeper of a royal border-town, who is wise, smart, intelligent and who blocks those who he does not know and lets those proceed who he does know and who thus protects those inside and wards off those outside. In the same way, o monks, a noble disciple is remembering, is equipped with the highest carefulness and remembers things done a long time ago, spoken a long time ago, remembers in accordance. With memory as the doorkeeper, o monks, the noble disciple rejects the unwholesome and cultivates the wholesome. He rejects that which is with blemish and cultivates what is free of blemish, he always keeps himself pure.

‘‘Seyyathāpi, bhikkhave, rañño paccantime nagare dovāriko hoti paṇḍito byatto medhāvī aññātānaṃ nivāretā ñātānaṃ pavesetā abbhantarānaṃ guttiyā bāhirānaṃ paṭighātāya. Evamevaṃ kho, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako satimā hoti paramena satinepakkena samannāgato cirakatampi cirabhāsitampi saritā anussaritā. Satidovāriko, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako akusalaṃ pajahati, kusalaṃ bhāveti; sāvajjaṃ pajahati, anavajjaṃ bhāveti; suddhaṃ attānaṃ pariharati. => AN, 10. Nagaropamasutta

The whole article is to be found HERE

May all be happy

rob

Re: How to really cleanse your mind - Recommended Reading :)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
Looking forward to reading the rest of this -- kind of you to share it with us :)

... adding more good thoughts, chastising bad thoughts ...

What's your opinion about this part? (or anyone's opinion)

The chastising part seems very deliberate, almost as if it would fall under the category of judgement, or "whatever you resist persists".

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:11:16 AM »
I don't think it is a real practice -chastising thoughts? "Naughty thought, bad bad bad thought, you shouldn't be there"!!

Awareness itself, mindfulness in action, has the power to modify our thinking process, as it arises before thoughts are formed. Any action after they are formed is only going to tie the tangle tighter.

That modification isn't a preset pattern of 'these are good thoughts, these are bad thoughts', but a general increase in cognitive ability. The more mindfulness, the more the underlying patterns are recognised, that recognition alone, begins to break down the habit of ignorance of our own motivations. Once that motivation is being watched, we tend towards wise actions naturally.

We are better at being 'good' than we have been told.

The great thing about mindfulness is once learnt, it sticks. You can't help but see patterns in everything you do, it is like you find the middle ground in the mind. All sorts of thoughts come and go, but none of them are 'you', and with enough mindfulness (pre-symbolic awareness), there is all the changes happening on their own, without the 'gate keeper' needed to control anything.

getting it done

Chubachopsger

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
Andrew
I couldn't agree more, I sometimes think we can over think things, when I believe all we have to do is let go.
A very simple tool is if you have the presence of mind to realise that it's a voice speaking words in your thought process? Then it's not you, but the ego.
Let go!
Don't chastise(I'm always getting this wrong), Don't reward(aren't I a clever boy/girl), it's all ego stories.
Just be, the truth shall set you free...