Author Topic: What's meditation all about?  (Read 1891 times)

Flipasso

What's meditation all about?
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »
For me meditation is about mindfulness and equanimity. Living a more mindfull life, with more equanimity, expressing emotions better and communicating wisely.
I actually started to learn about meditation 'cause I wanted to increase my empathy skills, to comunicate better with others.
Of course a bit of peace&quiet are good for everyone, but the mainthing was that.
Then I read a book that talked about releasing the psychologic trash you have inside throw meditation, that thrilled me up a lot since I was starting to hear about Freud and other psychology subjects.
Then I started to hear about the Jhanas and started getting excited with the "HIgh" (as in stoned) part of meditation.
Now I am pausing, but will return for the reasons mentioned earlier.
There's something fascinating about a man that's in touch with himself.

What's meditation all about for you?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:30:50 AM by Flipasso »

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
Re: What meditation's all about?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:11:29 AM »
My reasons are much the same, Flipasso.
I'll pass on the *high* part, or at least like you mentioned, focusing on that piece.  But I do enjoy taking a deep breath of calm when others around me are stressed for no real reason.  :)
Another big factor is to better find my bliss and what it really is I was meant to do here.  Once I clear enough of the crap and conditioning out I'm hoping to find my real purpose in life.  I may already be doing it, but will have a great laugh when I can finally know and acknowledge it!
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:49:26 PM »
Now I am pausing, but will return for the reasons mentioned earlier.
There's something fascinating about a man that's in touch with himself.

What's meditation all about for you?

Good question. For me it's about becoming a Buddha, waking up, in this lifetime. And you are right, there is something fascinating about a man who is in touch with himself: he's unlike the rest of the men.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »
There are quite a lot of reasons why I like meditation.

But my main reason was: It felt right at that point in time, and I try to listen to the truth inside me&everything without arguing with myself about it. So actually I don't really know why I meditate ... it simply feels right to me. I'll find out some day, and I'll tell you then.

Metta, Stefan
anicca

HappyMe

Re: What's meditation all about?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »
Meditation to me is all about happiness.

It's about maintaining a way of living that makes me continuously happy without causing harm to the world. It helps me stay away from superficiality and enjoy the true happiness, like that of helping others.

By gaining insight I become calmer and it is easier not to get sad when sad things happen, to take the good with the bad and enjoy all the beauty around us.

May all beings be happy,
HappyMe