Author Topic: Instructions on posture for meditation practice  (Read 8688 times)

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Instructions on posture for meditation practice
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »
The teacher in this video gives instructions mainly from a Zen meditation perspective, but most of the suggestions are applicable to other types of meditation practice too:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:19:29 PM by Matthew »
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Vivek

• Staff
Re: Instructions on posture for meditation practice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:14:45 AM »
Organizing Your Meditation Practice ~ SHINZEN YOUNG

Shinzen Young is one for the foremost meditation masters and he bases his retreats/courses mainly on Vipassana as well as Zen. Here is a video of him taking a session on how to organize one's meditation practice on a daily cycle and also on a yearly cycle. Worth watching:

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:04:26 AM »
Here is another detailed piece on different meditation postures, in text format: http://www.shinzen.org/Retreat%20Reading/POSTURE-PEDIA.pdf

lsamson

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:57:10 AM »
That was a great video, I think that posture can help a lot if you are struggling with meditation as it can help open up your diaphragm and breathe deeper which in turn will relax your body and mind.

It also helps with attaining a correct posture.

Thanks for the video, Luca.

barrec

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 01:04:59 AM »
Here is another detailed piece on different meditation postures, in text format: http://www.shinzen.org/Retreat%20Reading/POSTURE-PEDIA.pdf

Thank you for this resource! Read it last night, put it to practice this morning and felt immediate relief in the back.

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 02:43:58 AM »
You're welcome..

skunk

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
Hi all. First post.  I don't think this is worth a new topic. I tend to sit on the floor (I know, i've just learned that the knees should be below the hips but I'll sort that) and lean lightly against the wall because it keeps my back straight (base of spine and shoulder blades both touching wall then i know it's more or less straight) and because, speaking honestly, it's a little less effort than maintaining posture independently. I don't feel that it affects my alertness. If anything I am more alert because in an unsupported posture I feel that nodding-forwards dosiness coming on a little.

Other than affecting alertness, will 'leaning' be reckoned to have any deeper affect, such as on energies or chakras? I haven't come across information to suggest it would.

Thanks.

PS. I'm keen to get the basics right at this early stage. What's learned wrong is hard to unlearn.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:35:03 PM by skunk »

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 07:58:13 PM »
I would still recommend that you learn to sit with back unsupported. Maybe instead of sitting on the floor, you could try using stool or chair. The instructions for that also are given in the video I posted. Or, you may could continue with the current way of sitting, if you feel it is helping you to concentrate for extended time and does not make you drowsy, but eventually, I suggest you start experimenting sitting with back unsupported.

skunk

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »
Ok. I haven't found much information on the significance of unsupported posture other than the alertness factor (and that it encourages physical independence in a way that bleeds through into character development, or something hinting at that). I should try it now while I am still new and habits are not yet ingrained. Thanks.

bomega

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 02:13:20 AM »
Adding this 12 second video from Katy Bowman about sitting posture as I've referenced it a lot on this forum and an life. (Its good on and off the meditation cushion.)

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »

... only logged in to join the applause! Great advice for meditators as well as for office workers, students and pupils.
I've seen a lot of meditators who tend to sit wrong, complaining about how they couldn't sit upright for a longer period. Well ... that's why! I am going to share this video. Thanx!
anicca

bram

• Still workin' on it
    • a hotchpotch of influences, 99% buddhism
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »
I trained  myself to sit for an hour in half lotus position, but once I finally mastered it so I could sit without pain, I found that I had knackered my knees (at the age of 63) and can hardly bend down and stand up now!

So I now use a chair to sit. It hasn't affected my concentration though.

I think the motto is not to get too hung up about posture.

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
You are right. Many practitioners approach the sitting as an endurance test and strive to get better at it. That is not the point at all. The general rule is to simply adopt a posture you can maintain for a longer period of time.

zoya

• Write something about yourself here
    • BHK
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »
There are many positions we can meditate in: sitting, standing, walking and lying down. These instructions focus on the sitting position, the most common position for formal practice, as it’s conducive to staying alert and relaxed. For those unable to sit, you may use the alternate option of lying down.

Laurent

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »
In my experience, i found that body posture in meditation is not important and is important though.
Good posture is a consequence of mind training, not the opposite.
One thing i am sure is that you don't have to focus on this. It will quickly become a problem.
I always observe that when mind tends to clear, body seems to know how it is fine. You adjust posture because you clearly know by feeling it that it is better. Deep respiration and calm mind set automatically the posture, you don't have to care about that.
And when the posture is better, you feel that your mind follows. There is no doubt there.

I also believe that not to move is an abusive instruction.I find it is out of context, dogmatic. Not to move is a consequence of deep attention and clear sight of the body.
You have to train hard your mind and then body will be released, abandoned and you don't want to move it, even when there is pain or other unpleasant things. You just don't want to move this body, you observe it as it is now.But when you are not in those mental conditions, not to move seems to be an ascetic way.
When you saw this, you know that you move because your mind is not yet ready, it is normal, and just continue to train mind until things make themselves.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:09:35 PM by Laurent »