Author Topic: Please help- Headaches  (Read 21 times)

Scrabble3444

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana
Please help- Headaches
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:41:25 PM »
Hello

I am new to this forum and also meditation!

Last month I attended the ten day retreat at the Dhamma centre in Suffolk. It was ten days of Goenka meditation.

I had never meditated before this with only a fleeting ten minutes at Mindfulness. I went with an open mind which worked out well as I had no preconceived ideas before I attended.

It was brutal to be fair and I had a hell of a ride. It was also life changing for the good reasons of changing my life style and discovering who I am. Here is the issue though. One month later and I continue to meditate morning and night for an hour each time. I sit there and remain equanimous. I sit and observe and focus on points in and around my body. Just recently I have been getting really bad headaches which just sit there. Temples and inside my head. Almost like tension. I can dissolve these through equanimity but they come back. They only disappear if I stop meditating for a couple of days. Am I straining too much through meditation? I try and sit there without passing judgement but it’s alnosr like everything goes into my head. If I focus on another pain or feeling in my body it dissolves but seems to go to my head?

Is this common? Do other people suffer from ongoing headaches through Vipassana?

Like I say I am a novice and would like some reassurance or some tips or advice if you could offer please?

Thanks in advance

With love.

Kevin

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Please help- Headaches
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:04:53 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you are straining your mind that is causing you headaches. The mind's nature is to move so it can relate to the surrounding environment in order to keep you alive. When you stop the mind forcibly by concentration, it rebels and gives you a headache.

I suggest you follow the meditation technique provided on the front page of this forum website. It is likely solve your headache problem. If you wish to continue body scanning technique, then you may want to try random scanning i.e observe any body part your minds takes you to. Don't stay in one place longer than your mind wants to. Just observe the mind and let it do its thing. But always bring back the wandering mind from any other thinking process.

Hope this helps.

Middleway
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Please help- Headaches
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:07:30 AM »
Hi Scrabble3444. Middleway has excellent advice there. I have never tried Goenka meditation, but from what I hear it is indeed pretty 'brutal'. Although it may be useful to some people, others, such as myself, find a kinder, more gentle approach is useful in developing a regular practice which can be maintained over a long period of time. It's the difference between, say, breaking a horse and gentling a horse. Both ways end up with a horse to ride, but which way would you prefer if you were the horse?
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka