Author Topic: Hello, I am new to meditation.  (Read 40 times)

LECHISY2008

• Who are you?
    • practice
Hello, I am new to meditation.
« on: July 16, 2019, 01:54:35 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been doing meditation for almost 6 months now.  I do not know whether I have been breathing correctly or not.  I am not sure whether to exhale through your nose or your mouth?  Some people said to breathe naturally so I just use my nose to breathe.  However, breathing in and out through the nose is shallow and short.  Inhaling through the nose and exhaling out by the mouth is deeper and longer but feel less natural.   Thank you for your inputs.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Hello, I am new to meditation.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
It depends what you are trying to do. There are all kinds of breathing exercises, each changing the meditation to larger or lesser degrees. Not only that but where you breath from, chest or diaphragm, brings change too. Nowadays I usually breath through the nose after starting with consciously breathing deeply for a few minutes to refresh the air in my lungs. If I become conscious of my breathing becoming too shallow I either repeat the deep breathing or, as you say, try nose and mouth breathing for a while.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

LECHISY2008

• Who are you?
    • practice
Re: Hello, I am new to meditation.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »
Thank you so much Stillpointdancer!