Author Topic: Bill Hamilton's Saints and Psychopaths  (Read 5749 times)

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
Bill Hamilton's Saints and Psychopaths
« on: September 30, 2011, 03:56:23 AM »
Though the mods will most likely move this to the dusty back corridors of the resource library, this is an ABSOLUTE must read for anyone influenced by the vipassana/ pragmatic dhamma movement.

http://www.scribd.com/Saints-and-Psychopaths/d/19649507

Note to mods; if you move it I will cut and past every page and post the entire thing here again. Just saying.  :-\

love to all and to this enlightened man's memorial.

A
getting it done

Masauwu

• chipping away
Re: Bill Hamilton's Saints and Psychopaths
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
I`ve read it a few months ago and i have to say it didn`t leave me with much other than a bit of common sense advice when dealing with people who claim to be teachers or have a degree of realization. Reading a whole book for something that could be said in a page, unless i`ve missed something it looked more like a biography? :)
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »
are we talking about the same book?  ???
getting it done

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:09:17 AM »
Same pdf even, i recognize the low-resolution scan of the cover. Can you resume in a phrase or two why is the book worth reading, maybe i missed it or just forgot? Just being honest here, i read it because it was mentioned in MCTB and afterwards i almost wanted back the hours spent reading it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:30:40 AM by Masauwu »
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »
The Saints bit. But also the tendency for all people to act in pathological ways. I find it very powerful to realise the truth of this as a motivation to remove the 'flow of becoming' altogether. It is not just 'me' suffering, but those around 'me' suffering as the pathology squirms with each new hit.

Perhaps it is just significant to my path.

getting it done

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:54 AM »
what we do here, posting all of this stuff is a good percentage pathology, and a little bit dhamma. How do I know that?  Common sense; if the 'flow of becoming' that endless round of selfing that separates us from peace has pride of place we are leaning towards being 'not saints' to put it nicely.

practice well, as until freedom is our basic felt nature, we are feeding monsters.
getting it done

Jeeprs

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
There was an amazing US spiritual teacher who suddenly appeared in the 1980's in the US. I won't say his name here. But his books were amazing, he had a glossy magazine, which appeared to be amazing, with many amazing articles by and about all kinds of interesting spiritual teachers. I actually learned some really good things from him.

His talks and books were all fantastic, seemed to summarize all the wisdom teachings I had ever heard into amazingly catchy titles and ideas. I even went and met one of his reps and came close to signing up.

But I realized it was a cult and pulled out. Several years later there was a big scandal around this teacher, which didn't surprise me much.  It was a shame, because he definitely knew something, he was not just a fraud. You would think that being enlightened would mean you were wholly benevolent and selfless. I don't think so, any more.

I also researched the history of the Theosophical Society fairly deeply, there was a fair amount of chicanery involving them at the time they 'discovered' Krishnamurti. This is one of the reasons he split from them so decisively.

Right now I am reading American Veda by Philip Goldberg, which is a cracking read about the influence of Yoga Vedanta in the US. It has a chapter on the dark side of the the movement, which I am not up to yet. But all of these types of teachings are corruptible, and there is power involved.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
Jeeprs .. off the top of my head I would have to guess Frederick Lenz or Andrew Cohen .. Lenz because of the scandal and Cohen because of the glossy mags and reps (nicely suited lot eh?)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~