Author Topic: Second members introduction thread 2011 - 2017  (Read 141084 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: New members - introduce yourselves here.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 07:11:30 AM »
DN ... Vagus nerve, Amygdala, Anterior Cingulate ..... Neuroscience is slowly unravelling the depths of meditation. Yet without a personal practice it risks being dry science. The Buddha was an empiricist and this is the cultural bent that the west brings back to Buddhism: stripping away slowly at the cultural bents from other adopted homes of The Buddha's teachings .. which have often lead the current interpretations far from his truths, his Dhamma.

Hope you'll share your thesis with us.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Admetus

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
Hello, my name is James.

I tried out meditation around 6 years ago, trying out a Guided Meditation CD led by Bodhipaksa.  The quieting effect was impressive at the time and I meditated a few times before getting distracted by other things.  I also had an opportunity at university to join a Shorinji Kempo club which apart from being a martial art, emphasises the (Buddhist) philosophical and technical aspects as practically half of the curriculum.  The meditative aspect of this martial art has probably been invaluable to my development, for around this time I began to feel virtue manifesting itself from beneath the seams of my personality.  Since then I have trawled through a few Eastern philosophical texts and recently took up meditation again to experiment with the benefits of meditating to a long routine.

I look forward to receiving your help!

magenta

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
Hello to all-

As a new member I would like to introduce myself. I first became interested in meditation when I read krishnamurti but he kind of leaves you hanging there and so I moved on to joko Beck and Jon Kabbat Zinn.  I think Beck really helped me understand what Krishnamurti was pointing to and Zinn also. I am now practicing everyday and not just when i sit-I practice virtually all day- living each moment and feeling the presence of it-it is much easier to do in the morning after good night of sleep-more trying later in the day or when I have too little sleep. my mind has always been one full of thought-racing and leaping into consciousness creating anxiety and depression issues-meditation has really awakened me to how sick our human minds can become when they become consumed with thought.

I am here because I want to learn, help, and participate

Bless you all

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 11:10:47 PM »
magenta, James,

Welcome to the forums. The mind truly can be a proliferating distraction from reality. I hope you find here some of what you need on each of your journeys.

Warm regards,

Matthew

ps Beck is a good writer - helped me a lot too at the start - and Bhodipaksa is a good chap too.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:13:05 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
Hello, my name is James.

I tried out meditation around 6 years ago

Maybe meditation tried you out?  ;)

Welcome James. Feel free to start a thread in the main forum so we can see what help flows, you may be surprised at how much you may have to offer.

regards
getting it done

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 01:16:41 AM »
Hello to all-

my mind has always been one full of thought-racing and leaping into consciousness creating anxiety and depression issues-meditation has really awakened me to how sick our human minds can become when they become consumed with thought.

Bless you all

Hello Magenta,

It is good to see you are so self aware in what is going on in your mind, and also your willingness to learn, help participate. A great combination of qualities, I get the feeling that you have had some previous successes and experiences.

Welcome, jump in and get involved, and bless you too.

regards.
getting it done

Nam_aRupa

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 05:18:36 AM »
Hello everybody..

I am glad to find such a forum like this - and i agree its allways a beautiful experience meeting fellow vipassana students on the travel..

My name is Thomas and am from in California..
I have been on the path for over a year now with the main focus on  Vipassana Meditation.
I started practicing on my own, by reading about the teachings and listening to dharma talks. I then found a lovely Sangha very close from where i live which was a blessing - I had the chance to talk to a teacher the first time which took my practice to another level.

Last June i went to my first 10 day Goenka experience which was the most intense thing i ever did.
I found that this practice was exactly what i was longing for all my life  :angel:

I surely hope to meet other fellas of the dhamma practice and know we can grow
and create beautiful music together  :-*

blessings to you

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:44 AM »
Welcome Thomas,

Indeed it would seem the world has fallen into your lap when meditation finally makes sense, it is good you have found a local sangha and the good sense to look to on-line support as well.

Looking forward to your contributions

regards

Andrew
getting it done

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 07:20:14 AM »
Hi James, Magenta and Thomas! :) Welcome to the forum.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
    • Looking for answers and trying to loose weight
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 08:14:06 PM »
My name is Pierre. I have been a member of this forum for 2 years approx, but left 3 years ago because I was fed up with some of the opinions that were carried. I am making a comeback, knowing that my discomfort of then was not only the result of the opinions of others, but also of my own reactions to those opinions.
I have been meditating for about 10 years now. I started with a 4 hour course where I was taught mantra based meditation and anapana. I prefered anapana, and my attention went naturally to the sensations at the nose area. In 2007, I went to a Goenka retreat, because this was the only that existed in my area. I have now been to 3 10 day retreats, and I also served for 5 days. I would like to do the 20 day retreat, so I need to do 2 more 10 day retreats and I must also serve a few times.
I also went in California in feb. 2010 to study MBSR wit Jon Kabatt-Zinn and Saki Santorelli.
I am currently trying to reorient my career to become an MBSR coach. Meditation has brought so many changes in my life that I thought it would be a good idea to try to share this experience.
Meditation makes me angry...

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »
Welcome back.
Well - I came after you left, so we had no interaction, but I saw your  name often in the older posts. It is good that someone who starts to learn MBSR has a lot of experience in meditation to start with.

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 05:30:54 AM »
I didn't learn a lot in the mbsr class, at least the meditative aspect of it. The course is way less demanding than Goenka's. Less discipline means that every time people were facing difficulty, they always could get up and get an cup of herb tea or eat a banana, running away from challenging experiences. However, MBSR course teaches you how to interact with people with health issues, Goenka's doesn't.
I don't know if this is the place to discuss this Quardamon but you seem to have some experience with mbsr. Could you develop on this topic?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:37:27 AM by frepie »

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »
Welcome back, frepie.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »

so many new names ... welcome guys!

... left 3 years ago because I was fed up with some of the opinions that were carried ...
... my discomfort of then was not only the result of the opinions of others, but also of my own reactions to those opinions ...

oh, I understand that! it's always good to realise that (despite of the stupidity of others) the annoyance and the discomfort is the own part of the "drama". after all, the other members are indulging our own strange opinions and stupidity (at least most of the time), so we should try the same. no one's enlightened here, so stupidity and weird opinions are sort of built in ...

... well, we are working on it, aren't we ...

:)
anicca

chintan

• Maun
    • Vipassana - Goenka
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Welcom Frepie / Nama_Rupa / Magenta / Admetus...

Really nice to see so many new names... this forum has been a bit quite of late but rest assured its not always like this..

Hope to see you all around..

Chintan

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »
As I said during my previous stay here: This forum is like the United Nations and I love it!

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »
Welcome back frepie,

have a nice stay  :)
getting it done

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »
Good to see you again Pierre, I think the strongly held opinions that lead you away last time have softened into something more mature - as well as your reactions to them.

Matthew

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »
I don't know if this is the place to discuss this Quardamon but you seem to have some experience with mbsr. Could you develop on this topic?

Frepie, if you open
http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,2.0.html
(That is   'Sangha: Community Introductions / Re: Hello all: Introduce yourself in this thread or just read it to meet the members' )
and on the top right search box you fill in my user name, then click on the word 'Forums' within the search box and click on 'Topic' in the drop-down list, then click on the magnifying glass, you will find my introduction. You will find no MBSR there, nor Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy. But you are not very far off.
In fact I am doing my best to be more at home with my attention since my wife complained about my being with the forum friends so much. So I refrain from asking more about you.

That is how it is at the moment. I am planning again to go on my fourth retreat, 8 days in April. I planned that a year ago also, but did not go because I could not pay it. Now, I have more a sense that I need to go to stay healthy - I am, and I want to keep it that way.

Be well,

Quardamon

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 03:54:51 AM »
Good to see you again Pierre, I think the strongly held opinions that lead you away last time have softened into something more mature - as well as your reactions to them.

Matthew

I am not Buddhist but I am tempted to say "annica"...

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:39 AM »

Frepie, if you open
http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,2.0.html
(That is   'Sangha: Community Introductions / Re: Hello all: Introduce yourself in this thread or just read it to meet the members' )
and on the top right search box you fill in my user name, then click on the word 'Forums' within the search box and click on 'Topic' in the drop-down list,...
I do not see that drop down menu. Maybe you have admin rights. Doesn't matter, I will find it manually.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
Pierre, the menu appears when you click on the word "forums" in the box. If not please shoot me a PM with the equipment/browser (inc version you use) .. I'll take a look.

Matthew

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2011, 10:01:17 PM »
It's ok Matthew, my mistake, I found the drop menu Quardamon was talking about.

Morning Dew

Welcome
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »
Hi All - as you might have noticed, I have not been participating a great deal since September or so. I have decided to join an online Zen community.  This is not because of any negative views of this community but simply because I identify with Mahayana Buddhism, and in particular, the Soto Zen form of practice,... My best wishes to all my friends here.

jeeprs

May the path lead you to nothing less than liberation. Be well and drop by sometime.
p.s. love the blog

Hi all! ... However, I'm still very much a novice in Buddhist meditation, so I'm hoping to learn from this forum and from others' experiences, whilst trying to re-establish my own meditation practice.

Looking forward to chatting!
Cheers,
Dark Night.
Hello, my name is James.
I look forward to receiving your help!
Hello to all-

Bless you all
Hello everybody..

I am glad to find such a forum like this - and i agree its allways a beautiful experience meeting fellow vipassana students on the travel..

My name is Thomas and am from in California..
I surely hope to meet other fellas of the dhamma practice and know we can grow
and create beautiful music together  :-*
blessings to you
My name is Pierre.
... Meditation has brought so many changes in my life that I thought it would be a good idea to try to share this experience.

Dark Night, Admetus, magenta, Nam_aRupa and frepie WELCOME to the Communtiy of Vipassana Forum :)
Looking forward to share this Path with you.

May you be happy free from harm and suffering

rob

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to do my intro. My name is Rob (you're shocked) and I'm a meditation newbie. I'd wanted to try it for quite some time, and eventually got enrolled in a weekly intro class that runs 6 weeks. I'm also devouring every book, lecture, video and website I can get my hands on. Mostly centered around Thich Nhat Hahn, Eckhart Tolle, Osho, Alan Watts, and soon to include Joseph Goldstein.

I'm very overwhelmed, and discouraged with my practice probably 50% of the time, but I've only been at it about 3 weeks. My natural tendency is to expect perfection immediately and beat myself up if I don't "excel" right away. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it... cursing myself when I notice my mind wandering and whatnot.

I'm currently on a host of mood stabilizers for moderate-to-severe bipolar disorder, and have been on no less than 15 antidepressants or antipsychotics in the last 10 years. I'm not a basket case or a victim of the pharma industry, but I kept hallucinating and getting violent and waking up driving my car with no recollection of how I got there or where I was going, etc etc. Most of my bipolar manifestations, though, are now related to anger issues and depression. I'd love to be able to drop the meds, but I'm not expecting miracles. Primarily I think I need to work on my anger and my feelings of insecurity/need for validation from others.

Looking forward to learning from and participating in the community here. :)