Author Topic: Is this Metta Bhavana? What am I doing?  (Read 13267 times)

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Is this Metta Bhavana? What am I doing?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »
Great article, Matthew. Thanks for sharing. I'll be reading this again and again.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
The Dalai Lama:

Although all the Buddhist teachings are techniques for transforming and training one’s mind, in the Tibetan tradition we have a group of teachings which are actually categorised as ‘thought transformation’ or ‘training the mind’ teachings. This refers to certain types of practice or meditation in which the emphasis is placed on overcoming selfishness — the thought that cherishes one’s own welfare while being indifferent to that of others. So these types of teachings are called ‘teachings of thought transformation’.

Compassion, love, kindness, a sense of brotherhood or sisterhood, a sense of altruism — these are key areas for human development in the future as well as today. Compassion, love — these positive thoughts give us hope, courage, determination, inner strength. Whether we are successful in the future, or not, depends entirely on the determination of the present generation. If we do not act with will or intelligence, then our future cannot be guaranteed for the next generation or for the generation after that. We cannot blame politicians, or people who make problems, but we can blame ourselves. We must ourselves take some kind of initiative. Without shouting that there is not enough, we should develop something within ourselves, and then, as an example to others, try to make some contribution to humanity. Altruism is no religious business; it is the business of humanity.
So now, the next question is: Is there any possibility of developing more compassion, more altruism? And is there any possibility of reducing anger, hatred, and jealousy? The answer is: Yes! Whether we believe it or not, let us try to implement this, let us carry out some experiments, then we’ll find the answer. Within my own little experience, through training the mind, the answer has become quite clear.

First published in the February 1989 Buddhism Now
from a talk given in London in 1988.

From: http://buddhismnow.wordpress.com/2010/06/10/more-compassion/
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
Great article, Matthew. Thanks for sharing. I'll be reading this again and again.

Vivek has said exactly what I wanted to.

CP
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
Sharon Salzberg kindly gave her permission to reprint it here.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »
Yes, thank you TIB. That was excellent.
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Jeeprs

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 03:20:36 AM »
what this post reports, is what happened to me. I call it the awakening of Bodhicitta which is universal compassion. (That is a Mahayana term). Ever since that happened, I become tearful whenever I hear or see things that are touching. (This is embarrasing at times. But it is a kind of upwelling of compassionate connectedness. )

But even so, I still hear a voice say 'stop wallowing in it -  and get a move on'. So even opening up to that, beautiful though it is, is not the be-all and end-all and there is still much work to be done.

(incidentally the Buddhism Now site looks first rate!)

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »
Just being curious. Did this happen recently? Or many years ago? I am asking this, just to understand your situation better.
Regards,
Quardamon

Jeeprs

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »
Happened in about 1982! At the time I had had my first experiences with formal meditation, both Buddhist and also through a secular organisation, and was reading pretty intensively.

Since then I have gotten married and raised two sons. I have practiced and studied ever since, but my commitment has been very uneven, which has had adverse consequences. If one has this realization, it definitely changes your outlook on life, but it is not the be-all and end-all. It is the beginning of the path, not the end.  If I had had a teacher, he or she might have told me that. So I didn't really 'actualize realization' properly in my view. I didn't renounce alcohol or begin take the precepts seriously - not that I had 'a drinking problem' or anything like that. It is simply that if I had practiced much more consistently after this realization, it would have been better.

I have created another thread about this also called 'ongoing struggle'. It is indeed an ongoing struggle, but now I see how I have been responsible for the difficulties I have been facing.

jeepneyko

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
thank you for that articles! i guess i should read more from sharon hehehe

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »
I avoided talking about the metta subject in the past, thinking it`s just a form of wishing well. But yesterday while taking my pinball machine for a calming walk outside and feeling quite relaxed, i felt an impulse to "radiate" a state of wellbeing outwards to everything in existence. Which i did for a bit and continued my walk. Still not sure if it`s metta but it felt good and left me with an inner smile. :)
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »
Beautiful.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
And that's what we call Metta, Masauwu. :) Good one.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »

... a calming walk outside and feeling quite relaxed, i felt an impulse to "radiate" a state of wellbeing outwards to everything in existence. Which i did for a bit and continued my walk. Still not sure if it`s metta but it felt good and left me with an inner smile. :)

sounds like Metta to me!  :)
anicca