Author Topic: Weekly Dharma talk on Vipassanaforum  (Read 8243 times)

Morning Dew

Weekly Dharma talk on Vipassanaforum
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
Dear Sangha :)
I would like us to share a Dharma talk each week. I came to realise just now how important it is to listen to the Dhamma especially if not living with people sharing the same knowledge, especially if living only with people interested in the mundane.

I was fortunate to find this Dharma teacher which resonates well with me. I litened to some others too but they didnt resonate with me that well.

Her name is Tara Brach.

Here is one i invite to listen :)
http://www.tarabrach.com/audio/2011-01-05-Three-Gateways-to-Freedom-TaraBrach.mp3

May we awaken in this very lifetime

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Weekly Dharma talk on Vipassanaforum
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
Sharing a Dhamma talk or reading would make a good basis for group discussion on Skype. We pick a topic, arrange a time, sit together for 20 minutes and then have a Dhamma discussion having listened to the talk or read the text.

We can now video conference with up to 15 people.

What say ye?

Much love to all,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
Im for it :) good man Matthew good man :)

Yes, i have hit the stage where i see the importance of sitting with the Sangha and listening to the Dhamma talks together. We already discuss in here so i would not go into that too much. Discussions can be done one on one rather than a group. My two cents of course.

---

I just finished listening to this uplifting Dhamma talk by Tara :) i cant wait to get up tomorrow to sit and practice :) Iv found the source of Right Energy which is fueling the Right Effort :) Dhamma Talk!

I intended to use the headphones so not to disturb my wife but she asked me if it is ok for her to hear what this Dhamma talk was all about. She planned to listen to it for a few minutes and ended up listening for the whole hour with me :) so cool :)

I made a decission to listen to one Dhamma Talk every night before bed time.

Thanks to Tara I know understand what taking refuge means. It aint realy religious at all but simply a reminder to take refuge into ones own Awareness, Truth and Loving-togetherness (Buddha Dhamma Sangha)

Be well Sangha :)

Jeeprs

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:50:27 PM »
Thanks to Tara I know understand what taking refuge means. It aint realy religious at all but simply a reminder to take refuge into ones own Awareness, Truth and Loving-togetherness (Buddha Dhamma Sangha)

Well said! No external religion necessary.

Matthew

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »
OK it's a done deal. Next weekend's Dhamma talk for discussion is Dusko's suggestion above - a very important subject.

I'll post some suggested times in a poll and we'll roll with what works for the largest number of people. Listening to the Dhamma talk before the sit/discussion will be useful having Skype and making sure you are connected to me in advance will be essential.

Much love to all,

Matthew

Poll is here: http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,1680.0.html you can cast multiple votes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:12:56 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:09:11 AM »
I voted in that poll Matthew. I am a bit concerned about Sangha members from Australia and USA as well as in India because it can be too late or too early and you, Stefan and I would probably be the only 3 chaps sitting together  :P which aint too bad.

I will post a Dharma talk once a week in this thread also for those shy to join and for those who simply cant manage time to join this Skype Dharma Talk.

NOW!!! Please remember what happened with our little retreat in Sweden OK. It kind of slipped away. Lets make this Skype thing happen. The most important thing is for it to happen and regularly takes place NO MATTER HOW MANY CAN ATTEND. With time Im sure many will join. But it must be a living thing, not just a one time thingy. OK? Thank you :)

Yes lets do it!

Matthew

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »
Dusko,

I voted in that poll Matthew. I am a bit concerned about Sangha members from Australia and USA as well as in India because it can be too late or too early and you, Stefan and I would probably be the only 3 chaps sitting together  :P which aint too bad.

Once we get rolling we will a few find time slots that allow everyone to join in some sessions (by rotating them every two or three weeks) but do the sitting/discussion every week.

I will post a Dharma talk once a week in this thread also for those shy to join and for those who simply cant manage time to join this Skype Dharma Talk.

Go ahead and post a talk weekly to share. In the longer term, for the group sit/discussion, I wonder if it would be good to have some democratic process where anyone can propose a subject/text/talk etc and we vote on them. This could take place starting two weeks before each session so everyone has a chance to propose and vote and a week before the session the material is decided on by the Sangha, giving people a chance to digest and ponder.

NOW!!! Please remember what happened with our little retreat in Sweden OK. It kind of slipped away. Lets make this Skype thing happen. The most important thing is for it to happen and regularly takes place NO MATTER HOW MANY CAN ATTEND. With time Im sure many will join. But it must be a living thing, not just a one time thingy. OK? Thank you :)

I've thought this through. It's a weekly commitment for me. Just finding the right ways to allow different groups to connect.

We may need to buy a second Skype premium account if a timeslot emerges that works for a group of the Sangha but not for me.

I'm also looking at hosted server solutions but these come in at around $300 per year. They allow more than 15 participants and we would have a video chat room open all the time. Let's try this for a while first.

I'm worried about Vivek paying 50 rupees to sit in an internet cafe and meditate in front of a webcam :D

Much love,

Matthew

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
I heard Google+ allows free group video chat. Is that something we can try instead of costly skype?

CP
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

thomas

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
Hi. Does anyone know how I can download this.. or get it on my computer? I'd like to listen whilst not online.
back to the breath... and back to the breath....  and back to the breath.... and back to the breath..... and back to the breath

Morning Dew

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »
Thomas :)
On Tara's page you can find this talk on the bottom of this page;
The talks below are freely available. All files are in .mp3 format - you can play them on your computer, iPod, or other .mp3 player. To download, right-click (or Control-click on the Mac) and select "Save As" or "Save Target As."
http://www.tarabrach.com/audioarchives2011.html

thomas

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
hi Che. Thanks. Got it
back to the breath... and back to the breath....  and back to the breath.... and back to the breath..... and back to the breath

Morning Dew

Dhamma Talk-Relating wisely to desire
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
Hi Sangha and welcome to the second week's Dhamma talk here on Vipassanaforum :)
Lend your ear to Tara Brach please :)

http://www.tarabrach.com/audio/2011-08-10-Relating-Wisely-to-Desire-TaraBrach.mp3

Morning Dew

Re: Weekly Dharma talk -week 3
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »
Hi Sangha :)
I hope you enjoyed the last two talks. I know i did, and benefited from them alot. They are melting the ice around my heart.

Here is the Dharma talk for this week. Tara will talk about the Metta practice.

http://www.tarabrach.com/audio/2010-08-18-Metta-Lovingkindness-TaraBrach.mp3

May you all awaken in this very lifetime for the benefit of all.

Morning Dew

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
Hi Sangha :)

This weeks Dharma talk was inspired by the sense of "I" seeing fault in "Others" and being Angry with them :)
This time it is a short talk around 10 minutes by Ajahn Bram and is called "The Anger Eating Demon" :)
May we all learn from it.

The Story of "The Anger Eating Demon" with Ajahn Brahm.

May all beings be happy and free from suffering

p.s. you can feel free to discuss the talks in this thread of course :)

Morning Dew

Weekly Dharma talk on Vipassanaforum- There is No Enemy
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »
This talk is from Buddhist Geek podcast named

There is No Enemy by Ken McLeod;

http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/audio/Episode228_There_is_No_Enemy.mp3

May we all be happy

dimeo

• “What we think, we become.“
    • Mahamudra / Dzogchen
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »
Sharing a Dhamma talk or reading would make a good basis for group discussion on Skype. We pick a topic, arrange a time, sit together for 20 minutes and then have a Dhamma discussion having listened to the talk or read the text.
We can now video conference with up to 15 people.
What say ye?

This might be an old thread but, a similar thought has been recurring to me about this lately as well.  Why not collaborate on building a virtual sangha through video conferencing?   I recall a rinpoche I was listening to in a podcast talking about how the dharma and sangha transcends time and space.  How true! 

However connecting together in real time could be a wonderful thing to make happen.  I loved joining in the weekly sit at the nearby Shambhala Center.  It was open and inviting to anyone interested, beginning or experienced.  You could sit and meditate together, have tea and share a talk afterwards.   

Google+ hangouts are a good idea.   Also I just read today about a new emerging technology called WebRTC (Web Real-Time Communication).  It allows anyone using a current version of Chrome 23, Firefox 22, Opera 12, or Android should work.

For example   https://talky.io/ allows 6 people to quickly and easily create a free video chat.

Matthew

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
dimeo,

It is one of my aims to enrich this website and provide more ways to interact and exchange. Looking at options now, however, it's starting to look as though I may need to rebuild the entire forum/site using a different content management system .... my resources are limited and so I am presently weighing up the options including integrating a google hangout and how that could be done.

We did sit together for a while using Skype - I found it to be a valuable tool in making the connections to others who share this space/place deeper and more meaningful.

Kindly,

Matthew

dimeo

• “What we think, we become.“
    • Mahamudra / Dzogchen
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 12:21:40 AM »
starting to look as though I may need to rebuild the entire forum/site using a different content management system
This forum is wonderful! What makes you feel you need to rebuilt it using a different system?

The conversations we have through writing are excellent.
I just think the 'live' connection like you did with skype sounds fun! ;D