Author Topic: something switched  (Read 1310 times)

Alistair

• Write something about yourself here
    • vipassana
something switched
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
Hi!

Have been meditating for 3 yeaars now with the method of sitting and observing thoughts and emotions. Something switched during my meditation today, I sat normally observing thoughts and feelings while my point of observing suddenly switched like a pop sensation and all of a sudden I saw that I'm not playing the game it's some sort of pusher or doer thats in the back of my mind pulling the strings, almost felt like catching something of guard and revealing the truth.

Does some one have a clue of what I just realised, is this the Ego being seen for its true self?

kind regards
Alistair

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: something switched
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »
There will be a fancy word for it (im not good at technical terms) but what you have seen is the distinction between actual consciousness and your mind just sorta doing its own thing. We like to think we're "thinking" the whole time but most of its just automated responses.

So what can you do with this? Over time you should be able to hone in on distinguishing between your mind just running off and doing whatever, and actually being present without the additional DVD commentary track of your thoughts.

Enjoy.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: something switched
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:34 AM »
Quote from: Alistair
Does some one have a clue of what I just realised, is this the Ego being seen for its true self?

Quote from: Dharmic Tui
There will be a fancy word for it (im not good at technical terms)

It's often called "The watcher" - it's still a part of ego watching itself, at this stage, but it's a value state giving you a strong insight into the non-self nature of being, and as DT pointed out, you can work with it:

Quote from: Dharmic Tui
what can you do with this? Over time you should be able to hone in on distinguishing between your mind just running off  doing whatever, and actually being present without the additional DVD commentary track of your thoughts.

As you hone in the thoughts will diminish and eventually die down as DT says. When you arrive at silence you'll hit one pointed mind, absorption, samadhi, and thereafter find your way into the jhanna states. But, for now, don't worry about all that: keep on trucking and follow your path. Jumping ahead usually results in taking a wrong turn and getting stuck in a cul-de-sac.

Warmly,

Matthew

PS welcome to the forum.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~