Author Topic: Jesus Was a Buddhist Student- and the son of Julius Caesar and Cleopatra  (Read 13703 times)

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
Re: Jesus Was a Buddhist Student
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »

they were slowly forced to live behind the walls of the monasteries

I knew it.

Monasteries chaff my common sense. They are the opposite of a spiritual life. All of the challenges are artificial and make believe. How does this get monks ready to advice me? Simple answer, it doesn't!

Like you said, behind walls so the common man will think the monks are extra special. Once there, the monks can be corrupted quietly with long lists of BS rules.

I'll still listen as I think there are many genuine people having a real go, like Ajahn Brahm et al, but there is a path out here in the real world that is largely 'make it up as you go'.

getting it done

Morning Dew

From the Gospel of Magdalene
18) When the soul had overcome the third power, it went upwards and saw the fourth power, which took seven forms.

19) The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom. These are the seven powers of wrath.

20) They asked the soul, Whence do you come slayer of men, or where are you going, conqueror of space?

21) The soul answered and said, What binds me has been slain, and what turns me about has been overcome,

22) and my desire has been ended, and ignorance has died.

23) In a aeon I was released from a world, and in a Type from a type, and from the fetter of oblivion which is transient.

24) From this time on will I attain to the rest of the time, of the season, of the aeon, in silence.

http://www.gnosis.org/library/marygosp.htm

Also interesting to read about the chovinist Peter;
3) Peter answered and spoke concerning these same things.

4) He questioned them about the Savior: Did He really speak privately with a woman and not openly to us? Are we to turn about and all listen to her? Did He prefer her to us?

5) Then Mary wept and said to Peter, My brother Peter, what do you think? Do you think that I have thought this up myself in my heart, or that I am lying about the Savior?

6) Levi answered and said to Peter, Peter you have always been hot tempered.

7) Now I see you contending against the woman like the adversaries.

8) But if the Savior made her worthy, who are you indeed to reject her? Surely the Savior knows her very well.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: Jesus Was a Buddhist Student
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »

I knew it.

Monasteries chaff my common sense. They are the opposite of a spiritual life. All of the challenges are artificial and make believe. How does this get monks ready to advice me? Simple answer, it doesn't!

Like you said, behind walls so the common man will think the monks are extra special. Once there, the monks can be corrupted quietly with long lists of BS rules.

Well, now, that's too much judgement for my liking ...
not all monks in all monasteries are indoctrinated puppets.
anicca

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
No, you may be right. Like I said I still read the books as there are many making genuine efforts.

Now and then a lion or tiger bites it's handler at the zoo. Those days it feels alive!
getting it done

Jeeprs

I am seriously contemplating the possibility of retiring to a monastic community, even a 'lay monastic' community - not for a good while, but eventually.
I would like to be part of a Buddhist community where there was daily practice and recitations and the like, and the opportunity to engage in dharma studies, instead of golf, drinking and cards.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God

... yeah I heard those monks are lousy card players ...  ;)
anicca