Author Topic: Saint John of the Cross -Dark Night of the Soul  (Read 2474 times)

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
Saint John of the Cross -Dark Night of the Soul
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:55:16 AM »
This is intense reading, and I have only browsed it. Where ever I land in the text something jumps out that has the feeling of 'yes' all over it!. Ignore this writing if you have never had anything to do with Christianity, it will just mess with your head! Or ignore me on that, perhaps it will be enlightening!

getting it done

Morning Dew

Re: Saint John of the Cross -Dark Night of the Soul
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
I am so weak. So greedy. So Ignorant.

6. These persons have the same defect as regards the practice of prayer, for they think that all the business of prayer consists in experiencing sensible pleasure and devotion and they strive to obtain this by great effort,[47] wearying and fatiguing their faculties and their heads; and when they have not found this pleasure they become greatly discouraged, thinking that they have accomplished nothing. Through these efforts they lose true devotion and spirituality, which consist in perseverance, together with patience and humility and mistrust of themselves, that they may please God alone. For this reason, when they have once failed to find pleasure in this or some other exercise, they have great disinclination and repugnance to return to it, and at times they abandon it. They are, in fact, as we have said, like children, who are not influenced by reason, and who act, not from rational motives, but from inclination.[48] Such persons expend all their effort in seeking spiritual pleasure and consolation; they never tire therefore, of reading books; and they begin, now one meditation, now another, in their pursuit of this pleasure which they desire to experience in the things of God. But God, very justly, wisely and lovingly, denies it to them, for otherwise this spiritual gluttony and inordinate appetite would breed in numerable evils. It is, therefore, very fitting that they should enter into the dark night, whereof we shall speak,[49] that they may be purged from this childishness.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
Re: Saint John of the Cross -Dark Night of the Soul
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
You are not alone there my dedicated friend.
How intense is this St John dude?  ??? , he wrote most of this locked in a prison cell not much bigger than a person!

I noticed in the introduction that this Dark Night is the sequel to the earlier Ascent to Mount Carmel.

getting it done