Author Topic: Is the total amount of Happiness and Sadness equal in everyone's life?  (Read 5587 times)

Is the total amount of Happiness and Sadness equal in everyone's life?

I am a beginner of Vipassana Meditation and i realized lately that the total of Happiness and Sadness in a person's life is equal to zero, irrespective of beauty, handsomeness, wealth , knowledge,  creed or color. Let me know your Opinions and If i am correct.

For example, If you enter a room which has Air cooler, the person feels relieved after coming inside on a hot day, how long? 5 minutes. After that we are just looking TV, chatting etc. The AC goodness is forgotten. This enjoyment came because the negative/problem/hot air was there before coming. Had you been born and bought up in AC, you would have never felt the goodness of AC. If you were running short of money, and you get some money, you enjoy it. If you had lots of money, getting the same amount of money doesn't feel great. When a successful player loses a Game he feels very bad, when a regular loser wins one game he feels very good and doesn't feel bad when he loses. Rich man at the time of death feels that he is losing all the wealth for nothing, beggar at the time of death is happy as he is getting rid of poverty.
So I think what you enjoy is the delta ( difference between the badness and the goodness and vice versa).
So happiness is equal to sadness for all, right? Or is there a way to remain happy all the time?

I think Vipassana meditation helps you reduce the amount of happiness and the sadness, those who don't meditate are very happy for small good things and very sad for all small things?

Am I right, please help me understand.

Thanks,
A Vipassana Beginner.

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
Dear V_B,
I would have to agree with your analysis.  The magic is to appreciate the opportunity we have to experience these feelings of happiness and joy, pain and pleasure.  I mean just how are these things possible anyway?  Suffering comes from attachment to either pole, and bliss is to be content right in the center at zero.
Warmly,
-Joe
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Is the total amount of Happiness and Sadness equal in everyone's life?

No.

There is no balance between hapinesss and sadness in any one persons life. Accross all space/time/existence there probably is a balance. An example: Both you and a friend like the same girl. He ends up winning the love of the girl and feels happy. You end up losing it and feel sad.

Vipassana meditation helps you recognise both these phenomena (happiness and sadness) as transitory passing experiences. Vipassana meditation helps you reduce and see through your conditioned reactions to circumstances, feelings, thoughts etc. It teaches you not to think "this is my happiness" or "this is my sadness". Instead you start to notice "happiness" and "sadness" as the transitory reactions to circumstances that they are. In doing so you stop identifying with those and all the other passing phenomena you experience.

Vipassana meditation will lead you to a greater overall level of hapiness. Awareness of how you function as a human being is something most people have no clue about. As a meditator you are searching for those clues. When you find them you will function more harmoniously as an individual being and with the world around you. You will be happier. So will those whose lives you touch. This is the third "noble truth" of Gautama Buddha - "There is a way out of suffering" or "The cessation of suffering is attainable".

The fourth "noble truth" of Gautama is the eightfold path - the way that leads from suffering. Meditation is a key element of this path, as described above.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:03:44 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

So, If I do Vipassana Meditation, I should be able to live happily, no matter what bad or good things happen to me? Sorry for asking this repeatedly.

Can you also please tell some good books to read to understand such things. I am a layman, a beginner. Whatever you all commented appears too hi-fi for me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks,
Vipassana Beginner

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
Dear V_B,
I apologize for using Buddhist-speak.  Keeping things simple is much better.  If you check out The Dhamma Resources section, http://vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html you'll find many book recommendations and links to information.  Personally, I greatly enjoy listening to Dhamma sessions on, http://www.audiodharma.org/talks-cur.html because the speakers are very learned and speak in simple everyday terms.
Much success on your path,
-Joe
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Dear Vipassana Beginner,

The simple answer is that vipassana meditation will reduce the amount of suffering in your life, yes. This is not exactly the same as saying you will be "happier" but as a beginner you may as well assume that it is and keep on practicing.

Sorry if I lead to any confusion for you.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Dear V_B,
I apologize for using Buddhist-speak.  Keeping things simple is much better.  If you check out The Dhamma Resources section, http://vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html you'll find many book recommendations and links to information.  Personally, I greatly enjoy listening to Dhamma sessions on, http://www.audiodharma.org/talks-cur.html because the speakers are very learned and speak in simple everyday terms.
Much success on your path,
-Joe

Good Knowledge resource. I also appreciate the person who is maintaining it.