Author Topic: Preparing for The Journey  (Read 3414 times)

Morning Dew

Preparing for The Journey
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »
Preparing for The Journey

We talk alot about breathing techiques, about right way to concentrate, about Jhanas, Anapana at the nose or whole body breathing, about calming the body. Yet we talk very little about the Preparation for The Journey which leads Down The Rabbit Hole and starts BEFORE each meditation session.

We feel that meditation starts with the sound of the Gong and right there we begin the wild rodeo of ridding the breath, holding fast so it doesnt go away, so it doesnt throw us down, we cling to it so to reach Concentration. But the more we hold onto it the wilder the breath becomes and we end up being thrown down into the thoughts, emotions and perceptions again and again and again.

We grow restless, and yet we follow the idea as described in the recent meditation book we have just read, and yet again it doesnt work !!! How to reach Concentration with such a mind, not to mention all the Jhana states?!

It is easier to describe this if we separate our mind into two: the Doer Mind and the Knower Mind.
The mind is one but the Doer Mind is the one creating this separation. Our culturaly conditioned mind became more focused on the Doer than on the Knower Mind therefor all this confusion.

When we start meditating, most of us begin the meditation with the Doer Mind. The Doer wants to meditate, wants to be aware of the breath, wants to develop concentration, wants to achieve Jhanas, wants to become enlightened (mmmmm Jack Pot).

So we sit there and we want all this .... We focus, we concentrate, we pull our best, the breath seems slipping away and we again and again end thrown down in the mud of thoughts, emotions and perceptions !!! WTF !? !!!
So much effort for nothing!

We are bound to "fail" each time because we ignore the Actual Meditator. The one and only! The Knower Mind !!! Doer is not ment to be the meditator the Aware one, the Mindful one. Doer Mind is there to make food, to make shelter, collect water, to dress us in warm clothrs when cold, to open the window when hot, to dress us in confortable clothes before meditation, to set-up the cushion or Seiza bench, to Acknowledge the Knower as the Ultimate Meditation Warrior, who is about to leap down right into the darkness of the Rabbit Hole, armed only with the bright light of awareness.

It is of Great Importance that Doer Mind gain this Insight, to actualy realise that the Knower is the Actual Meditator. Once the Doer realise this it becomes easier to let go of controling everything and here the Doer starts placing Great Trust in the always quiet Knower Mind, the Ultimate Meditation Warrior!

With this Wisdom the Doer is not afraid anymore since the Knower will take care of all concerned Down the Rabbit Hole. From this point on the Doer starts preparing the Knower for each meditation session as it will be the last one, as this very Journey into the Darkness of the Rabbit Hole will make the Self disapear without trace together with its demonic army.

The Knower Mind is the Warrior and the Doer Mind is the Worrier. It is of great benefit to make this distinction.
From The Free Dictionary;
worri·er n.
Word History: Worrying may shorten one's life, but not as quickly as it once did. The ancestor of our word, Old English wyrgan, meant "to strangle." Its Middle English descendant, worien, kept this sense and developed the new sense "to grasp by the throat with the teeth and lacerate" or "to kill or injure by biting and shaking." This is the way wolves or dogs might attack sheep, for example. In the 16th century worry began to be used in the sense "to harass, as by rough treatment or attack," or "to assault verbally," and in the 17th century the word took on the sense "to bother, distress, or persecute." It was a small step from this sense to the main modern senses "to cause to feel anxious or distressed" and "to feel troubled or uneasy," first recorded in the 19th century.

Once we truly realise the Worrying nature of the Doer we see crystal clear why our meditation ends up in frustration most of the time.

From now on let the Doer have an honest conversation with the Knower before the meditation starts. Call this The Preparation for The Journey.
Let the Doer say "I will now prepare you The Knower for this Epic Journey into the darkness of the rabbit hole. I will open the window to let some fresh air enter, i will dress you just enough so its not too cold nor too hot, i will prepare the cushion/seiza bench for you, i will set up the meditation time, i will wave at you when you depart and will wait here beside the entrance patiently for your glorious return. I will let go of you now entirely. I am placing Great Trust in you. May you The Knower go in peace and spread the light of awareness into the whole world. May you Awaken us through this very Journey.

From this point on the Knower begins its Journey with Shamatha lighting the Path with a bright light of Awareness.
May this very Journey bare the Fruit of Liberation

May all beings be free from suffering
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:07:41 PM by Matthew »

Masauwu

• chipping away
Re: Preparing for The Journey
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
Important lesson, and beautifully worded. I will try to put it in practice. Thanks :)
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 10:39:51 AM »

Nice one! (Bleep-inspired also, I'd say?) ... Great concept that is: warrior vs worrier  :D  (that's something you cannot think of in german language since the words are too different). They should sit together!

May we all shrink our egos so we fit down the rabbit hole! Be well!

Metta, Stefan
anicca

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
Doer Mind reminds me of Frank Costanza`s "Serenity now!" :D
The summer river:
goes through the water.

Morning Dew

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »
Nice one! (Bleep-inspired also, I'd say?)

Nope! Ajahn Brahm inspired but also Masauwu inspired ;)

Thanks

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »

Nice one! (Bleep-inspired also, I'd say?)

Nope! Ajahn Brahm inspired but also Masauwu inspired ;)

I referred to the rabbit hole idea only .... the whole text was too big to be just "bleepy" ... With Metta!
anicca

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
It is easier to describe this if we separate our mind into two: the Doer Mind and the Knower Mind.
The mind is one but the Doer Mind is the one creating this separation. Our culturaly conditioned mind became more focused on the Doer than on the Knower Mind therefor all this confusion.
Oh man words really are not good at this dhamma business... I think only now i start to understand what you meant. Witnessing, disengaged, like from the viewpoint of the space on which everything happens - is this what you meant by knower mind? Doer mind i know all too well, i`m in it all the time. :D But isn`t the doer in the mind, while the knower beyond mind? Like i said words are not very good at this, been smacking myself silly to find the knower in the mind. :D
The summer river:
goes through the water.

Morning Dew

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
Knower mind is Wisdom observing the Doer mind. In a nonjudgemental manner

Namaste

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »
Oh man words really are not good at this dhamma business... I think only now i start to understand what you meant. Witnessing, disengaged, like from the viewpoint of the space on which everything happens - is this what you meant by knower mind? Doer mind i know all too well, i`m in it all the time. :D But isn`t the doer in the mind, while the knower beyond mind? Like i said words are not very good at this, been smacking myself silly to find the knower in the mind. :D

Right now, Doer mind is reading, but body is breathing all the while.  With breathing there is no doing involved, just like there is no doing involved with heartbeat, but we dilute our breathing with things from Doer mind and try to "do" breathing and "do" mindfulness.  Watching the breath is like checking our pulse - we don't influence, it's happening anyway, we just sit and watch.