Author Topic: What The Bleep Do We Know  (Read 6664 times)

Morning Dew

What The Bleep Do We Know
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »
Here is the first part of many parts which you will find on youtube
What The Bleep Do We Know (1 of 12)

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: What The Bleep Do We Know
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »

I've seen this - it is recommendable, very interesting collage of facts.
I also saw the sequel ... but that's a whole DVD-set going on for hours no end, my brain closed after three hours.  ;)
anicca

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
I would love to see a movie that would manage to do what this one tried to. I have to admit one of the reasons for my reticence was the fact that this one was produced by a somewhat shady organization and featured their leader among the interviewed people, who is channeling "a Lemurian warrior who fought the Atlanteans over 35,000 years ago". :-\ They can easily seduce good people by weaving in facts and fiction, and there were other cults in the past who used this tactic for publicity and recruiting.

I think every single human being wants to see beyond the illusion of our conventional view of the world as we "know" it. They all intuitively know there is something there, so close and yet so far. And the main organized religions and the cults know this, and in their thirst for power they sell their snake oil as being the only truth, redirecting people from their search for the path and onto another illusion, one which serves their purposes.

Sorry for side-tracking, got carried away. ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:43:47 PM by Masauwu »
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Morning Dew

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
I find the 7th part interesting. Talking about peptides and chemical reactions in the mind, creating habits etc. As a meditator i find this part interesting.

What The Bleep Do We Know (7 of 12)

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »

while I understand Masauwus concern, I'd still say this movie is recommendable.
Just keep Masauwus warning in the head while watching ...

the example Dusko posted (7th) is only one of several interesting parts for us meditators (and not only). I also apprechiate the part(s) where they show that you cannot actually touch something physically (due to the charging of the electrons), that (regarding quanrum energetics) we are not solid at all and that (regarding the space between the atoms) we consist of mostly nothing ...
anicca

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »

btw as I recall, the sequel is ~10 hours long ...  ??? ... I never managed it ...  ;)
anicca

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »
The most important day in my life was the day I realised I knew nothing about anything important. And that any amount of facts would not rectify that. Experience was needed.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jeeprs

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
I got out What the Bleep on DVD in November 2008. I didn't mind it - liked Fred Alan Wolfe and Amit Goswami. But a lot of it sounded like psychobabble and hot tub philosophizing ("why do I always find myself in this situation???).

Here is a photo taken by Fred Alan Wolfe when he was part of the Fundamental Fysiks Group which thought up a lot of these ideas.

Rest of the story is here -  worth a look.

Bottom line: physics doesn't support materialism. This simple fact annoys the crap out of everyone on the Philosophy Forum. It is quite congenial to us old hippies, however. ;)

lente

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »
I have seen the movie. At the time I thought it was great, just fascinating, but that was in my superstitious phase.

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 07:19:04 AM »

well, compared to your average blockbuster it is quite good ...
anicca

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
Debunked! - What the Bleep Do We Know?

I think deceiving even with a good intention is still wrong. Or maybe that movie was just that, a fiction movie, and we tend to give it scientific credit because of our expectations of it and the marketing hype.
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
I think every single human being wants to see beyond the illusion of our conventional view of the world as we "know" it. They all intuitively know there is something there, so close and yet so far. And the main organized religions and the cults know this, and in their thirst for power they sell their snake oil as being the only truth, redirecting people from their search for the path and onto another illusion, one which serves their purposes. ...

Good sidetracking :) Not all people want to see beyond the conventional however. Some have no idea it is possible, most who see it is possible are too scared to jump over the precipice ...
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
I think deceiving even with a good intention is still wrong

Those deceving are also the decieved. Saying my way is the good way is both being decieved and decieving.
The Middle Way is not Right or Wrong yet even the Buddha talks alot about the right speach right this right that ;) then again he did aparently say that His Teaching will be lost after 500 years after his death. So those Suttas left over are written by who knows who.

Many meditators are decieving them selves that they Know the Right Way and they need newbees to teach them or tell them this so to feel alive to feel Right about it.

So much deception is on this path because it is a path. What if the truth is in the forests surounding the path from both sides which make up this whole "reality".

We are mistaking to assume that those incharge (gurus, magicians, polititians) are aware of it. They are as much a sleep as those being decieved by them.

When "i" started the recent "issue thread" none of us realy tried to look into who is this "one" talking?? Is this one talking to us a real being. Is this an He, His , Himself talking or was that just a layer of the ego onion surrounding the being which is asleep, covered in layers and layers of self-deception. None of us realy understands this i feel.

The same way we are to apply without judgement the anicca, dukkha, anata when mindfuly observing oneself so can we also do when observing others. Like this Compassion maybe possible. Or not.