Author Topic: Vitamine D  (Read 8814 times)

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
Re: Vitamine D
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
Wish I could share some of mine with the northern latitude dwellers. It's a cool 90.Fahrenheit in Los Angeles.
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »
I've read somewhere that in order to get sufficient vitamin D out of sunlight during summer, you have to sunbathe totally naked for 30 minutes every day!! The risk of skin cancer is too high for me, even in summer I take vitamin D supplements and avoid the sun as much as possible.

redalert

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
It's a cool 90.Fahrenheit in Los Angeles.

I hate you  :'(

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
OK ... long ago I promised an answer to Stefan ... apologies my friend for the delay, Ich bin ein Berliner.

After spending a year reading the scientific literature on the subject I gave some presentations to members of the Black and Asian community locally. Where I live there is a very high population of these communities (I live happily in one of two boroughs of England where White British is an ethnic minority :) )

The presentation linked below is for those communities but includes quotes from the key scientific papers - you may wonder why there is a reference to the abolition of slavery without this knowledge haha. The relevance of slavery to Vitamin D deficiency? Due to skin pigmentation people of colour need greater amounts of sunshine to create vitamin D which is from a pre-cursor chemical to cholesterol using UVB rays to initiate the chemical change. Due to slavery people of colour are now living far from the equator, creating the conditions for a very high deficiency rate in these communities. Being fair skinned doesn't save you though: 75%+ of White British are clinically deficient according to the studies which state we need to redefine normal levels.

I can't embed my (slightly shabby :D) presentation on the subject within the forum software - however, it can be seen here: http://issuu.com/the_irreverent_buddhist/docs/vitamin_d

Key points:

1) Due to modern living conditions there is an endemic Vitamin D deficiency in all countries with "modern" living conditions (e.g South Africa - the only equatorial country with Breast Cancer rates equivalent to "First World" countries).

1) We have been measuring a normal Vitamin D level incorrectly

2) Your Doctor most likely won't really know anything about the subject

3) On page 8/9 (not including cover) there is a call for the UL (upper limit) to be raised to 10,000IU/day - page 9 lists a rather substantial list of institutions  making this call (Harvard, Tufts, University of London, Zurich .... etc, etc)

4) Supplementation with testing is the key: 25(OH)D serum test once a year aiming for >40ng/ml, ideally 50-70ng/ml

5) In UK and Northern Europe/USA from October to March there is not enough UVB in the sunshine that gets through for the chemical reaction to take place: hence we have a cold/flu season around Dec-March when the body has depleted reserves.

In addition here is a chart of disease reduction (actual and extrapolated) according to 25(OH)D serum levels.

http://issuu.com/fdegeus/docs/vitamin_d_disease_prevention_chart

Here is the abstract of the research that lead to that chart: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21378345

CONCLUSION: Universal intake of up to 40,000 IU vitamin D per day is unlikely to result in vitamin D toxicity

...Do you think cold climate dwellers have developed the ability to suck all the vitamin D they need through their face? ;) ....

red - No we haven't been living in modern living conditions long enough for genetic changes such as this to have occurred. However, the Canadian Cancer society made Canada the ONLY country in the world to respond to the paper noted in point 3) above: they recommended "all Canadian Citizens supplement with 1 - 2,000IU/day of Vitamin D3".

Lastly, if you are going to supplement you need a liquid Gelcap variety where the Vit D3 is dissolved in olive oil - this is because Vit D will not pass through the gut wall unless bound to an oil molecule. The bio-availability of dry formula tablets is low, unless you want to crush them and mix them with oil before consumption most will just come out the other end.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
A forum member recently got his 25(OH)D serum levels measured clinically, he lives in India. They were 12.5% of healthy levels.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~