Author Topic: Give a Monthly Gift - Developing an Altruistic Heart  (Read 8113 times)

Morning Dew

Give a Monthly Gift - Developing an Altruistic Heart
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »
Giving is something my heart is just starting to learn.

I have read in this article that " genuine altruism comes from a state of equanimity. We're at peace with ourselves and content with what we have. Having overcome self-fixation, we're relaxed and happy. Giving is effortless and a source of joy"

Most of us get paid every month with enough money to spend afterwards on some sort of luxury (Luxury good - an economic good or service for which demand increases more than proportionally as income rises).

The fact is there are milions of families in this very world which suffer from hunger yet we dont think of it when we buy some extra sweets and chocolate, families which have no clean water yet we dont think of it when we buy a bottle of coke or beer, families which have no moscito nets yet we dont think of it as we buy a new bottle of suntanning lotion.

So much money is wasted on luxury goods to make the ego satisfied, to make the ego suffer less and enjoy more.

While others actualy suffer.

I decided to place a gift every month via Barnfonden.se
https://www.gavokatalogen.barnfonden.se/
I chose them because i already sponsor two kids through them.

There are other organisations who help this way. Of course one can also join an organisation which helps others in person. I am not there just yet, not as strong to meet face to face with people in need. But someplace I have to start and therfore I choose sending monthly gifts making each time another family happy.

This time I gave 20 chickens to a family in Brasil. They will use them for eggs, meat and will sell on the local market the eggs they dont need generating extra money :)

So little for me to give YET SO HUGE for them to recieve :) May they be happy, may no harm come to them may they be free from suffering.

We already practice sitting meditation together, so let us also practice together a practice called Developing an Altruistic Heart :) shall we?

The house is build with each single brick we lay into the wall. Each and every brick counts.

May we all be happy and full of compassion

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: Give a Monthly Gift - Developing an Altruistic Heart
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »
This is great! I want to do this.
Anyone got a link for a german (or english) site?
(I'll look myself as soon as I got the time left, but maybe someone already knows a trustworthy organisation who do it like that.)

Thanx again, Dusko!
anicca

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
http://www.oxfam.de/
Helping poor countries to help themselves. an organisation that has been around, internationally, for many years.

http://www.avaaz.org/de/index.php
The last one politically active - does e-mail actions against all sorts of injustice.

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »

yeah Oxfam sounds pretty much like it ...

"Just donate your money and that's it" never caught me.
But this catches since it's personal and I can decide what to give (I know that not everything is good that is meant good).

Great idea, again, just practicing to be nice :)

Metta, Stefan

One thing though ... they invite you to buy banana seeds for planting ...
... anyone seen a banana seed in the past centuries?  ;)
ah well I'd rather buy them the goat ...
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »
Thanx again, Dusko!

No :) thank you Stefan, thank you for ACTUALY doing this. Even though we cant in person put these goods into their hands it still counts. It indeed makes the difference :)

May you and your families be free from suffering

p.s. I actualy went ahaid and gave a fruit tree as a small gift to another family.

See you next month  :) ... which is btw coming soon (we get paid every 25th in the month)

Morning Dew

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »

No :) thank you Stefan, thank you for ACTUALY doing this.

Right now I am in the state of actually intending it ... I'll tell you when it's time to thank me on that   ;)

thx for the links btw, and Metta, of course!
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 07:09:48 PM »
When you actualy do give the gift please post it in here not to boost your ego but to keep this thread alive, so others can see it actualy happening :)

Good man

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:24:49 AM »
When you actualy do give the gift please post it in here not to boost your ego but to keep this thread alive, so others can see it actualy happening :)

Good man

Just waiting for the next pay ... I wrote "Oxfam" in my calendar already.
They have a settlement in Leipzig so I going to visit them these days and have a chat.
They also have an interesting shop. Bring your old but good things (DVD, clothes ect) and give them as a present. They'll sell it in the shop and from the money they buy some more goats or seedlings for poor families. I've started packing a suitcase already. It is interesting to realise how important stuff isn't important any more in the light of the simple question: "Do I need this more than they do need the goat?"

I'm going to let you know when I bought a goat. And I admit it right now, whatever intentions are there else, there will be a little ego-boost as well, I'm afraid. But in a rather good way. And on Vipassana-level it's the awareness of the ego-boost that counts.

Metta, Stefan
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:30:06 AM »
there will be a little ego-boost as well, I'm afraid. But in a rather good way. And on Vipassana-level it's the awareness of the ego-boost that counts.

Yes. We recognise the ego-boost and let go of it. Again and again until only pure compassion remains.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
A whole world full of egotistical givers, trying to outdo each other in generosity; I don't see the down side..
getting it done

Mungo

• Shamatha
    • Smiling Politely
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
Thanks for this post Dusko. I just bought 20 chickens for somebody.  ;D

Take Care
You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep

Morning Dew

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »
A friend told me to not cling to the fact that I am giving a monthly gift to families in need.
It matters little whether I cling, dont cling or something inbetween. What matters are the happy smiles who will indeed recieve those gifts. This is what truly matters all the rest is just arising and passing.

May we all have courage to give more and ask for less.

Good man Mungo :)

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 01:44:44 AM »
A person cannot cling to letting go. By definition. Or put another way, if you manage to cling to letting go, you will live nibbana real quick!.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an07/an07.049.than.html

"This is an ornament for the mind, a support for the mind." that is has always stuck with me since I read it years ago, what do others feel it means?
getting it done

Morning Dew

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 06:10:37 AM »
Thanks Andrew  :)
This is the proper place to post this. Good man

Be well

Mungo

• Shamatha
    • Smiling Politely
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »
I would assume something along the lines of this?

Ornament • a quality or person adding grace, beauty, or honor to something

It has added slightly to my confusion to my feelings of giving though. I usually would not tell anyone about the giving I do and prefer to remain completely anonymous. I dont take praise very well and often get quite embarrased. My lack of an enthusiastic response is sometimes mistaken for me having to fulfill an obligation I didnt really want.

It has never been my intention or motivation to profit from generosity in any way but do I feel inner joy after doing something kind or generous - absolutely - which is part of my quandary. On the other hand I often get the opposite feeling when I am treated like a door mat - I like to be respected but not rewarded. I always liked this quote (from futurama no less)

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »
hi Mungo,

Yes that was my initial interpretation, that it beautifies the mind somehow, but reading it again I'm not so sure, the support bit throws me. Unless it is like how women 'demand' diamond rings, both because they are beautiful and if they fall on hard times, they can be sold to support them!

I'm getting the feeling it is something more along the lines of a meditative object, giving is similar to 'letting go' itself which is the heart of meditation, that it provides a focal point for the mind like an ornament does for the eye, and that it allows the mind stability and purpose hence the support bit. Otherwise, what does a mind free of selfish desires do all day?  ;)

The realm of devas sound cooler than the brahma heaven, so I might just aim for that and not worry about it!... ::)
getting it done

Morning Dew

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »
Otherwise, what does a mind free of selfish desires do all day? 

It abides in calm i guess

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
So ... my little daughter and I bought a sheep for a family in ethiopa

Metta,  :angel:

PS.: and we'll do it again!!
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
That famiy is happy to have such supporting friends, your doughter and you :)
Well done.
Small thing for some yet means life to another :)
Well done
Well done

Namaste

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »
Unless it is like how women 'demand' diamond rings, both because they are beautiful and if they fall on hard times, they can be sold to support them!

It all makes sense now..    ??? ??? ???   :D

Morning Dew

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »
Just went ahaid and donated for the children in Kenya/Ethiopia.

http://m.news24.com/news24/Africa/News/Measles-outbreaks-in-Ethiopia-Kenya-20110715

Help the way you can. Even if only by sending Metta, send anything, cause they have nothing.

My heart is breaking. I whish to give em all i have but my wife would not be able to understand this.

May all be free from suffering

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 06:46:34 AM »

Redalert brought up the Dana-thread, and it reminded me of this thread - time to bring it up again ...

very good one, thanx Dusko!

Metta, Stefan

PS.: But please don't donate goats, they turn into a serious ecological disaster in the blink of an eye ...
anicca

redalert

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »
A whole world full of egotistical givers, trying to outdo each other in generosity; I don't see the down side..

Becareful all,

The road to hell is often paved with good intentions. Trading in animals may have benifit to those humans who recieve them, but if the animal was slaughtered or mis-treated or suffered(removed from its mother shortly after birth) in any way, you as the giver will have directly supported this.

We need to develope right view, if we become attatched to the colours and sounds we see on the news we will feel we need to change all that is wrong with the world in order to end suffering. We will join movements and due battle with the supposed evils that we personally disagree with, this is the trap. The battle is within you.

Practicing vipassana, we begin to see clearly that to end dukka we must observe dukka, equanimously, in whatever form it manifests. We don't crave for it to take another more pleasant form, we simply observe equanimously with the understanding that this form to shall pass away(anicca). This and only this will liberate your mind. This is a tough pill to swallow.

As stefan so wisely mentioned this is not the planet "tinkle" this is earth and it is the way it is so we can practice.

Metta