Author Topic: The anger-eating demon  (Read 5505 times)

Morning Dew

The anger-eating demon
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
A problem with anger is that we enjoy being angry. There is an addictive and powerful pleasure associated with the expression of anger. And we dont want to let go of what we enjoy. However, there is also a danger in anger, a consequence that outweighs any pleasure. If we would keep in mind the danger, then we would be willing to let anger go.

In a palace in a realm a long time ago, a demon walked in while the king was away. The demon was so ugly he smelled so bad and what he said was so discusting that the guards and other palace workers froze in horror. This allowed the demon to stride right through the outer rooms into the royal audiance hall and then sit himself on the king's throne. Seeing the demon on the kings throne the guards and the others came to their senses.
"get out of here"  they souted. "you dont belong here!"

At these few angry words the demon grew a few inches bigger his face grew uglier the smell got worse and his language became even more obscene.

Swords were brandished, daggers pulled out threats made. At every angry word or a deed even at every angry thought thatdemon grew an inch bigger more ugly in appearance more smelly and more foul in his language.

This confrontation had been going on for quite a while when the king returned. He saw on his own throne this gigantic demon. He had never seen anything so repulsivly ugly before not even in the movies. The stench coming from the demon was more repugnant than anything you'd hear in the roughest of drunk-filled downtown bars on a saturday night.

The kinf was wise. Thats why he was king: he knew what to do.
"Welcome" he said warmly. "Welcome to my palace. Has anyone got you anything to drink yet? Or to eat?"
At those few kind gestures the demon grew a few inches smaller less ugly less smelly and less offensive.
The palace personnel caught on very quickly. One asked the demon if he would like a cup of tea. Another phoned out for pizza, while others made sandwiches. One soldier gave the demon a foot massage while another massaged the scales on his neck. "mmmm that was nice" though the demon.
 At every kind word, deed or thought the demon grew smaller less ugky less smelly and less offensive.

But they never stopped being kind. Soon the demon was so small that he could hardly be seen. Then after one more act of kindness he vanishedcompletely away.

We call such monsters "anger eating demons"

Your partner can sometimes be an "anger-eating demon". Get angry with them and they get worse-more ugly, more smelly, and more offensive in their speech. The problem gets an inch bigger every time you are angry with them even in thought. Perhaps you can see your mistake now and know what to do.

Some cancers are "anger-eating demons" ugly and repugnant monsters sitting in our body, our "throne". It is natural to say "Get out of here! You dont belong!" when all else fails or even esrlier perhaps we can say "Welcome". Some feed on stress - that is why thet are "anger-eating demons". Those kind of cancers respond well when the "King of the Palace" courageously says: "Cancer, the door of my heart is fully opeb to you, whatever you do. Come in!"

I read this story today and it made me cry just at the end of it. The part about openning the door of ones heart to such a thing as a cancer just broke another chunk of ice surrounding my heart. I cried.
I wrote this story on the iPhone so wasnt easy but wanted to share it.
Copied for the benefit of all our members dealing with anger.
The story is writen by Ajahn Brahm in his fabulous book called "Who ordered this truckload of dung?"

May we all be free from anger. May we all open our hearts to kindness and compassion.

Jeeprs

Re: The anger-eating demon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »
Beautiful parable Che, and so very true. Thank you for it.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »
Good parable. How about the 'boredom-eating demon'. I reckon he is sitting on a few thrones as well...

following jeeprs good example how is anger defined?

Anger: The thought and feeling attached to the persistent belief that things should be other than they are and that someone is to blame for that.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:49:26 AM by Andrew »
getting it done

Morning Dew

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »
Youare welcome lads :)

Anger: The thought and feeling attached to the persistent belief that things should be other than they are and that someone is to blame for that.

In my experience:
Anger is a product of a supressed greeving which is sitting inthere wanting to be set free.

Be well

Mungo

• Shamatha
    • Smiling Politely
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »
That was great Che - thanks mate
You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:08:54 AM »
Youare welcome lads :)

In my experience:
Anger is a product of a supressed greeving which is sitting inthere wanting to be set free.

Be well

So letting grief out properly, reduces it showing up as anger.... Hmm, yeah I've seen that before, cool insight.

getting it done