Author Topic: Adrenaline Rush in the body  (Read 2745 times)

Adrenaline Rush in the body
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »
Hello to Respected users!

I sometimes feel sometimes an adrenaline rush in my body (Not when I am meditating , but when I am at work or doing my exercise). May be stress is doing that. I have learned Vipassana mediation 10 day course as taught by S N Goenka and am a beginner only. What should I do to avoid that, should I just observe that its happening as taught in Vipassana? I think I get a little afraid when that comes for no reason. This also used to happen in a more acute manner before the Vipassana training. Please let me know your opinions.

Thank You.
A beginner.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Adrenaline Rush in the body
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »
Dear Beginner,

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you are suffering from mild panic attacks. This can happen if there is some unresolved trauma in your life and for a number of other reasons. I would suggest you continue to maintain a focus on these sensations when they are happening, whilst also remaining aware of the breath as an anchor to keep you rooted in now. This should help to dissolve that energy you are experiencing in a safe way.

It is not unusual for enhanced feelings to arise when you start meditation. Your body has been crying out to be noticed and finally you are noticing it. It has a story to tell you. Sit back and listen and the story will get resolved in time. Don't worry and if the feelings become extreme or frightening at any time just simply sit and breath and focus on your breath.

Anapana has a very calming effect as you know by now. Use it if things get too much. It's part of your toolkit as a meditator and is perfect in these circumstances to let you know those feelings without becoming overcome by them. As you say yourself this used to happen before the course in a more acute manner. It seems your practice is already slaying this dragon.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:37:58 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 12:30:55 AM »
Excellent answer!

Yesterday when this happened I tried to observe the feelings caused by it and observe my breath and the adrenaline rush or the mild panic attack sensation went away relatively faster. The root cause that you said a bit of mind trauma was also correct. This is a fight between the mind and the dragon and there will be a good challenge  :D . You have added more confidence in me and the Vipassana method. The method appears to be more logical after coming out of the training and facing the world and observing.

I have been practicing this for a month or so, and have started seeing bad and good feelings and its root causes in a better way.

Thank You Sir!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »
Dear Beginner,

How is it going? Are the panic attacks losing their grip on you?

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »
Yes Sir. Panic attacks have Gone. I have become bolder and even if I want it it doesn't happen.  It was mainly as I was afraid of fright. I am confident now.

With lots of respect,
Vipassana Beginner