Author Topic: It's not so strange for a Buddhist to endorse killing  (Read 4690 times)

Daiho

It's not so strange for a Buddhist to endorse killing
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
Well, that's what this guy thinks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2011/may/11/buddhism-bin-laden-death-dalai-lama

Stephen Jenkins is professor of religious studies at Humboldt State University. He received his doctorate from Harvard University in 1999. His research is primarily focused on Buddhist concepts of compassion, their philosophical grounding, and their ethical implications. His most recent publication is "Making Merit through Warfare" in Buddhist Warfare, Edited by Mark Juergensmeyer and Michael Jerryson. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: It's not so strange for a Buddhist to endorse killing
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
"I don't think it's very enlightened to get yourself killed" - Chogyam Trungpa when asked if he thought Christ was enlightened.

Equally it is not very enlightened to kill someone. Except ... if that is a skilful means to a lesser harm. And that is quite a judgement call.

Bin laden was assassinated in cold blood. This is not acceptable in Buddhist ethics. He could have been taken prisoner but they chose to murder him. Every avenue needs to be extinguished according to Buddhist ethics before resorting to killing. Bin Laden's death does not make the grade.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:30:18 AM »
"I don't think it's very enlightened to get yourself killed" - Chogyam Trungpa when asked if he thought Christ was enlightened.

Matthew
Did he say that when he was drunk, sleeping with his students, or just generally stirring up controversy?  :D

Daiho

You keep posting this crap as if it matters. It doesn't. What matters is who you are and what you do. What part of this article was in anyway going to help this Sangha? You remind me of when I was 12 years old and I had it in for the Catholic church. You get one shot at this life, and I think you are wasting it if this is what you spend your time contemplating.

love

andy
getting it done

dragoneye

• on the wings of compassion and wisdom
    • Observant
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
Aside from it seeming that Mr. Jenkins was more focused on "Westerners'" distorted views regarding Tibet, than on the Dali Lama's condoning the act of killing bin Laden, not to mention, that this is a Vipassana forum, as opposed to a Buddhism forum, I feel this would be a more true reflection of how the Dali Lama would teach on this matter.
http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/anger.html#heal
With metta,
DE
Dragoneye

Daiho

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:48 AM »
Andy, what do you mean by "this crap"?  How much "crap" am I guilty of posting?

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:14:50 AM »
Hi Daiho,
By 'this crap' I mean I mean random articles about things that you don't explain why it is so important to you. It seems to be directed at others, like we don't know that the world is pretty messed up. Are you under the impression anyone here is not aware of that?

As far as being guilty, there is no standard which I could hold you to but my own opinion. So you aren't guilty of anything at all. Post away... :-X

It would be nice though to hear from you as a person rather than these articles. Feel free to post what you like, if you are growing in your path then who am I to say otherwise, it just seems to me that you have these anti-american /anti-christian themes going on which I can only assume have some personal meaning to you. In which case it is not crap, just not what you are perhaps trying to tell us?

Do you feel guilty being an american? Relieved not to be a christian? Is buddhism providing you with distance form these things?

My post is in the spirit of provoking a reaction in you for the purpose of growth, if I have failed and you feel I'm just being rude, then I apologize.

love
andy

getting it done

Daiho

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:41:26 AM »
Just sharing what I've run across with people I thought might be interested.  I've posted in the everything-goes sub forum, rather than the meditation forum. 

If a large number of people are equally irritated, I'll desist.

Al the best.

Jeeprs

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »
I think it is a fair point to make, but other than that, I will refrain from getting involved in this debate. I am really trying to restrict my input on this forum to matters directly connected to Buddhist meditation, philosophy, psychology and so on. My mind is like a squirrel, runs up and down trees and gathers nuts everywhere, so here, I am restricting its activities.

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »
I'm grateful for your presence and your post Daiho, don't get me wrong, my irritation is my problem, not yours. Irritation rises from within me, not telepathically from you. So your post is a blessing to me, just thought I would return the favor!
What does it all mean to you?, I can't fathom it otherwise, i don't claim clairvoyance or any wisdom about your path. I know what is bothering me and that's me!. Post what you like, even if every person on the forum said to stop , you have every right to post things you think relevant.

To comment on your post, I think it is just plain human nature (ignorance and limit) to pick a side and claim the moral high ground. I don't think your country men or 'the west' started all the 'Buddhism is a peaceful religion'; that was Buddhist themselves. the Muslims do it, the Christians do it, Hindus etc all of them claim to be peaceful, the reality is they are just people with a label on their souls and a guilty finger pointed at their neighbors like naughty children.

love

andy
getting it done

Morning Dew

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »
my irritation is my problem, ... Irritation rises from within me,

Bingo :) bullseye ! It becoms your problem only if you identify yourself with it.

Anicca Dukkha Anatta ;)

Notice, go back to the breathing, calm into the body, observe, contemplate, respond :)

Metta to you both my friends

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
Just sharing what I've run across with people I thought might be interested.  I've posted in the everything-goes sub forum, rather than the meditation forum. 

If a large number of people are equally irritated, I'll desist.

Al the best.

Don't desist. This board is here for the reasons you are using it.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~