Author Topic: Level of happiness  (Read 2361 times)

Mungo

• Shamatha
    • Smiling Politely
Level of happiness
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:33:13 AM »
Even though I have only been practicing meditation and mindfulness for a relatively short period I have begun to notice a certain mind and body state that I sometimes have all my life. Through mindful awareness I have now been able to acknowledge the experiences in the moment and to be aware of them (when I remember that is).

One problem I have had is that whilst I understand the definition of a word I sometimes struggle with the definition of the concept or idea. Happiness and sadness have multiple levels depending on the context and situation. I have not read a great deal of spiritual texts but what is obvious is that they all promote a path to the goal of happiness. It is said that the motivation of all creatures is to be happy and avoid pain - fair enough. Both sadness and happiness, at the extreme levels, seem to cause agitation to body and or mind and suggest something of a doing nature to achieve and sustain it.

I'm not sure what words to use here but personally I am "happiest?" when completely content. It doesn't seem to be dependent on anything in particular. It could be hot and sunny or cloudy and rainy outside - it could be after a stressful day at work or after a walk in the park. It is sort of a "state of nothing really going on" my body isn't stimulated or uncomfortable - it is just content to be there. My mind isn't thinking about anything in particular, good or bad, it is just content to be somewhat still, observing but not engaging. It is not a blissful state but more like all activity is just flat lining and everything is good. When it's calm it can seem like there is no better place to be.
You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep

Alexanderjohn

Re: Level of happiness
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Equanimity.

ivana

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
Equanimity.

HI ALex
I would continue to your word "equanimity"
which helps us to throw out all lies, to see things and  our feeling how it is and not how it "should be".
Take care
Ivana

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:42 AM »
Hi Mungo,

I was always of the opinion that happiness was some elevated state of peace and contentment, then I realized I was living in a city!. It does come down to semantics but there certainly is an equilibrium that is natural to humans, like when we are doing some relaxing task free from pressure. I started calling this 'happy' as well. I'm often too aware of how cramped I fell in the city, push this way and that to fit with what is expected at every moment of the day, for 'happiness' to happen naturally.

If I don't meditate and breath consciously all day, my mood quickly drops. Like Che, I have contemplated the alternatives to the pace that life demands of me; my brother-in-law and I are considering community farming at the moment and I would love to give up 'working for the man' to do my own thing. I think it should be a basic human right to have enough time to feel 'happy' naturally. But that is probably just my perception, as you said, it can happen at anytime when we stop doing and rushing and just become observant.

thanks for the insight.

love

andy
getting it done

Jeeprs

Hanging Loose
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:07:17 AM »
Quote from: A H Almaas
When your mind is free, not concerned, or worried, or focused on anything in particular, and your heart is not grasping or clinging to anything, then you are free. The most characteristic quality is that there is no fixation on anything; you're not focused on any issue or experience. Whatever is there, is there. So there is a freedom of mind. The mind is not saying, "I want this," or "I want to look at this," or "It has to be this way." The mind is loose. The expression "hang loose" tells us what it means to be liberated.

Source

Mungo

• Shamatha
    • Smiling Politely
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:24:39 AM »
Equanimity....

Ha ha - I guess this was my long play extended dance mix definition of it.

Thanks Alex and Ivana

Andy - I agree on the one hand - but - on the other hand - whilst the consumer capitalist machine tells us to be happy means buying new distractions and working hard and the self sustaining life is great for us and the environment (something I to have thought hard about as well) I think the real trick is to be content right here - right now. Remember the saying, wherever you go there you are. Like I said, I have moments of contentment, fleeting and impermanent, but my goal is to try and gather momentum. I think its kind of like riding a bike. You have to peddle hard at first but then once you are coasting along, there you are, everything seems effortless and it gives you a chance to look around.

Take Care All.

Mungo

• Shamatha
    • Smiling Politely
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:29:48 AM »
Jeeprs - thanks for that - spot on. May you hang loose to.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:16 AM »
I find, like you said, as long as I keep my eyes on what I'm doing, with my only interest being meditation, I can keep calm. My issue is always the pressure of, in your words the 'consumer capitalist machine'. But also like you said, if I break it down, no one moment is unbearable, and given clear goals and stages I guess I can move beyond thinking about it. I like your analogy, I also like the reverse analogy; getting off the bike and slowing right down to walking pace!  I get your point though. Just a little bit a time adds up to a whole lot eventually.

love

andy
getting it done