Author Topic: Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice by Venerable Sujiva  (Read 10737 times)

Niek

Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice by Venerable Sujiva
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »
Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice
A Pragmatic Approach to Vipassana
by Venerable Sujiva

A complete verry good e-book (pdf) about Vipassana

Buddhanet - Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:35:58 PM by Niek »

Flipasso

Re: Essentials of Insight Meditation Practice by Venerable Sujiva
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it, when the School Exams are over.
It seems to be just what I was looking for. A book that explains the Satipatthana Sutta.
So, there is the Satipatthana Sutta that is the Buddha's way of meditating, and then there is this book that is a lengthier but more understandable explaination of the Satipatthana Sutta.
Great Recomendation

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
thanx for this link! I downloaded it, but I won't read it until I'll have done my first satipatthana course (practice first!) ...

Metta to you, Stefan
anicca

Flipasso

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:04 PM »
what is a satipatthana course?

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
what is a satipatthana course?

I don't know ... in the Goenkaji tradition you have to do three ten-day-courses and practice vipassana & sila in your daily life before you can do a satipatthana sutta course, I think ... I don't try to find out what it is, I want to do the course first (in some years ...), because I made the experience that it was great to go to my first Vipassana-course without knowing anything about the theoretical background.
Metta, Stefan
anicca

pamojjam

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 03:54:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

a satipatthana course in the tradition of S.N.Goenka lasts 8 days instead of 10, because there are no 'new-students' the atmosphere is a bit more determined, in the evening discourses piece by piece of the Satipatthana Sutta is explained in relation to the particular way Goekaji teaches Vipassana, and during the first morning sits Goenka chants the whole Sutta in Pali language each day, instead of the usual dohas of the 10-day course.

The bigger sincerity also comes because to participate in a satipatthana course one has to has practiced for at least 1 year 2 hours each.

kind regards..

pamojjam

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »
Oh, forgot to add the most important,on what the emphasis is placed in the teachings themself:

'Continual awareness of 'anicca' in body sensations.'

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »
 :) Thanks for explaining. And I will repeat: Continual awareness of 'anicca' in body sensations. Continual awareness of 'anicca' in body sensations. Continual awareness of 'anicca' in body sensations. Metta to you, Stefan
anicca

pamojjam

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
Hi stefan,

And I will repeat: Continual awareness of 'anicca' in body sensations. Continual awareness of 'anicca' in body sensations. Continual awareness of 'anicca' in body sensations. ..

I take it for granted you're not hiking on the map? ;-) And you verbalize this just not to forget?

Because it is my conviction that real insight only can become powerfull when it leaves for the biggest part such gross conceptualizations behind.

kind regards..

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
I had been lost in words, for some time of my life all I did was staring onto paper. one misses the landscape if one stares on the map all the time.
I had the strong feeling of being lost in myriads of words when I came to the Vipassana inquiry website, for example.

Metta & Shanti, Stefan
anicca

pamojjam

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
I had the strong feeling of being lost in myriads of words when I came to the Vipassana inquiry website, for example.

I see. Yes, if words don't reflect or relate to anything within ones own experience, its better not to carry such - which then would become - a burden.

kind regards..

PS: 'Vipassana-Inquiry' is a web page I wrote about practicing Vipassana in the organization of S.N.Goenka's. Which after 10 years prohibited me to continue my practice there - because I still would not believe in theories which I didn't found reflected in my own experience to lead to wholesomeness.

pamojjam

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

Just found the summary of the 8-day Satipatthana course discourses online:

Flipasso

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
About the book.
It seems very good, and I'm nearly at the end.
It has, in the begining, very good instructions on how to meditate. If you enjoyed Mindfulness in Plain English, I bet you'll enjoy this one very much.
I had a strange experience in the chapter where he explains how to notice intention. - While reading it, I suddenly started noticing (almost) all intentions of actions occuring. It was psychedelic to see how much things you do just reading a book. I couldn't notice the intention of moving the eyes, it just happened.

Of all the meditation books of read, this one seems to be the one that explains you the best how to practice and also seems to be very much precise according to the Maha Sattipatthana Sutta.
It doesn't focus to much on thought's though, but I put the emphasis on it myself.

On the down side, it's very lengthy and at times he gives you advise that seem miles away from experience. 300 and some pages...
On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it, with not much comparison, a 7.

peace@you.all
EDIT: I think it follows U Ba Khin's tradition.
Re-EDIT: It follows Mahasi Sayadaw's tradition.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:35:11 PM by Flipasso »