Author Topic: time speeding up after hours of meditation  (Read 5121 times)

DuaneWhite

time speeding up after hours of meditation
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
I've been meditating for a year now.

Recently when I do one day retreats, after I get out it seems like time has sped up. Everyone moves like it's a movie on fastforward. Everyone moves very quickly like I just entered a different time zone, but I'm even quicker than them.
Has anyone else experienced this, and is there an explanation for it?

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: time speeding up after hours of meditation
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »
Awareness is sharpened by meditation ... so your awareness of that funny little thing called "time" has been sharpened. Nothing really changed ... except your way of looking at the world.

Yes I know how funny time acts. Don't get carried away with it, just observe, stay equanimous, and of course smile when people move like in an old slapstick movie ...  ;D

Metta, Stefan
anicca

rideforever

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »
Krishnamurti has a book called "The Ending of Time" ... i.e. being so present that there is no past or future.  I wonder if you have access to this realm with your heightened state ?

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
That's interesting, Rideforever. I experienced a "widening" of the moment. The NOW in "here & now" became subjectively longer. As a result, it looks to me as if  ... hmmm, when I wave my hand in front of my eyes slowly, it leaves a trail of fading hands ... something like that.

But I think that my experience as well as DW's experience is nowhere near "the ending of time".
Like a stone not being a temple, even if the temple is built of stones.  ;)

Metta, Stefan
anicca

rideforever

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
I just had the feeling ... that people think it is an incremental journey ... but perhaps that is perhaps you are travelling in strange lands, and actually once the door is open you just need to look in the right way and it will all stop.

i.e. you have crossed a threshold but don't realise it

... this is an idea only ok ...

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
I just had the feeling ... that people think it is an incremental journey ... but perhaps that is perhaps you are travelling in strange lands, and actually once the door is open you just need to look in the right way and it will all stop.

i.e. you have crossed a threshold but don't realise it

... this is an idea only ok ...

I've read this for some time now ... I'm not sure wether I really understand what you mean.
If you have the time, please put it clear!
Metta, Stefan
anicca

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »
Jeeprs linked to the Platform Sutra a while back, it talks about enlightenment being instantaneous, and ever present. One moment we think an enlightened thought, the next moment a deluded thought. We don't reach enlightenment, we just stop thinking deluded thoughts and viola! Enlightened.

The process of stopping delusion is why we meditate and why we strive to be present and skillful in each moment. I've started calling the space between my breaths during the day 'one moment'. This way I have divisions to judge whether I'm keeping pace with what is going on around me and not just daydreaming as usual!.

I think it has increased my metabolic rate as well, all that extra oxygen!!

love

andy
getting it done

Jeeprs

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
Good to see you back on board!

I haven't really had any particular experiences associated with meditation recently. I am learning Pail as part of the Master of Buddhist Studies course and am realizing it is really very hard work. I would much rather be chatting away on forums, but 'fraid not.  I need to concentrate. Philosophizing comes easy, but sometimes life requires us to do the opposite of what comes easily.

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 02:16:38 PM »
Hi Jeeprs,

I came back to ask about a book for my brother, and saw some interesting posts, so lets see if I can keep the posting to a couple a day on average, not my usual 4 or 5 average!

I know what you mean with meditation, some days I think 'gee I got this going on!' then the next day nothing, I can barely sit straight!. I've come to accept that is just how it is, and not get hung up on it. Who knows, perhaps all the actual work of meditation is done precisely when it feels the least effective! I think the attitude we have when we rise from the mat is as important as the one we have before we sit.

All the best with the focusing, I'm planning on learning that trick one day too!

love

andy
getting it done

Morning Dew

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
[quoteWho knows, perhaps all the actual work of meditation is done precisely when it feels the least effective!][/quote]

Che will speak now!
The more i try to achive or to get to, the more restless i get.
Sitting as an immovable mountain, calm and concrete, such mountain is noticing all the clouds flowing arround yet it does not ride the clouds, insted it lets them pass continuing to be just that, an immovable mountain.

The only thing which matters is to Sit Actualy, trying not a thing, just being there in the sitting body sensing it without any judgement.

There is nothing special about it. The calm will generate and will flow into the off the cushion life no matter how many times one get lost in thoughts during the sitting.

Che had spoken :)

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:19:44 AM »
Lovely image Che.
getting it done

wildfox7

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:18:36 PM »
Duane,

This happens to you after one-day retreats because you have opened the door of attention on your runaway subconscious mind.  If you do a 10 day retreat, the mind runs like this for about the first three days, and then it slows down simply because it gets tired of running!  When you have 'mindfulness', time slows down, proportionally to your degree of mindfulness.

The easiest way to check yourself is counting breaths up to 10, counting only on the exhales.  Observation of breath without counting is the proper remedy for your problem.  Count just to check yourself.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
When I left a 30 day retreat a friend asked me to drive into town with him. "Sure", I replied, "but I'd like to drive".

Five minutes down the road he pointed out I was driving at 15km/hour. It seemed very fast but I sped up to 30 and wow, that seemed stupidly fast.

Sensitivity to many phenomena are enhanced by retreat or intensive practice. The fixed way we have of perceiving becomes more fluid in some ways, or punctuated by long moments of purer perception.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
When I left a 30 day retreat a friend asked me to drive into town with him. "Sure", I replied, "but I'd like to drive".

Five minutes down the road he pointed out I was driving at 15km/hour. It seemed very fast but I sped up to 30 and wow, that seemed stupidly fast.

Sensitivity to many phenomena are enhanced by retreat or intensive practice. The fixed way we have of perceiving becomes more fluid in some ways, or punctuated by long moments of purer perception.

Interesting....
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:47:49 AM »

Sound like the perfect 'punishment' for traffic offenders! Though I would probably get caught speeding just so i could go on a retreat! Did it feel dangerous? I'm often amazed when driving how with all these angry people everywhere (including me sometimes) we manage to drive at all! Conditioning working in our favor I guess.

getting it done

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
andy,

For a moment dangerous then actually quite exhilarating, after a month sat on my arse. I was hyper aware of the road, which I knew like the back of my hand, and other traffic - though there was only the one car we saw in the 7km trip ;D

You are right about the level of anger,especially on the road. But also yes, driving is mostly done subconsciously, in a conditioned fashion.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

ivana

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
Good to see you back on board!

I haven't really had any particular experiences associated with meditation recently. I am learning Pail as part of the Master of Buddhist Studies course and am realizing it is really very hard work. I would much rather be chatting away on forums, but 'fraid not.  I need to concentrate. Philosophizing comes easy, but sometimes life requires us to do the opposite of what comes easily.

Hi Jeeprs
I have to agree life but if you will go to thread Dictionary of any language and share interesting words in Pali, we will learn something new and you will be chatting on the forum and to master your Pali as well.

Take care

Iva