Author Topic: The Nature of Consciousness by Allan Wats  (Read 4794 times)

Flipasso

The Nature of Consciousness by Allan Wats
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:59:44 AM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20041115113931/www.publicappeal.org/library/unicorn/watts/the_nature_of_conciousness.htm
A bit lengthy, but brilliant, funny and confusing.
Since I don't seem to have woke up, would love to see some debate.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:52:59 PM by Flipasso »

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
Re: The Nature of Consciousness by Allan Wats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »
A bit lengthy, but funny and confusing.
You could say that again. :)
thank you Flipasso, you are very resourceful. I have printed it out and I will let you know my thoughts.
Tara
 :)
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

deanmw

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »
The link seems to be broken, but I think this is another version of it here: http://deoxy.org/w_nature.htm

Yes great article. I'm still reading it now. I just came across this paragraph below, and realized that this is exactly my predicament:

The way the animals live, everybody envies them, because look, a cat, when it walks--did you ever see a cat making an aesthetic mistake. Did you ever see a badly formed cloud? Were the stars ever misarranged? When you watch the foam breaking on the seashore, did it ever make a bad pattern? Never. And yet we think in what we do, we make mistakes. And we're worried about that. So there came this point in human evolution when we lost our innocence. When we lost this thing that the cats and the flowers have, and had to think about it, and had to purposely arrange and discipline and push our lives around in accordance with foresight and words and systems of symbols, accountancy, calculation and so on, and then we worry. Once you start thinking about things, you worry as to if you thought enough. Did you really take all the details into consideration? Was every fact properly reviewed? And by jove, the more you think about it, the more you realize you really couldn't take everything into consideration, because all the variables in every decision are incalculable, so you get anxiety. And this, though, also, is the price you pay for knowing that you know. For being able to think about thinking, being able to feel about feeling. And so you're in this funny position.

As a software designer I am constantly worrying about whether I have taken everything into consideration, especially when trying to give accurate estimates for project plans. I drives me nuts, and I suspect the baseline anxiety that Alan Watts is referring to underlies the energetic problems I have.

Oh to be a cat, basking in the sun all day...

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:26:37 PM »
... eating mice ...   ???
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:27:25 PM by stefan »
anicca

deanmw

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »
... eating mice ...   ???

... and birds. Well I'm more of a dog lover anyway.

Do cats actually eat mice, as in chew & swallow? I get the impression they just toy with them, then drag them into the house. I always thought cats were a bit sadistic the way they play with birds & mice.

Sadistic cats aside though, predation has always been a part of nature, long before anything crawled out of the sea, and even longer before man was able to make moral judgments about it. My point really is about how the perpetual over analysis and continual judgments that we make take us out of step with nature, and make us ill.

Do you think mice get ulcers worrying about cats?  :)

Flipasso

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 09:09:15 PM »
You can hear the Alan Watts discourse on mp3. www.soundstrue.com
or you can donwload "Out of your mind" by Alan Watts (which contains this particular text) from e-Mule.

BTW - I read the beggining of the link you posted and it seems to be it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:10:26 PM by Flipasso »

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »
Do you think mice get ulcers worrying about cats?  :)

No ...  8)

Oh to be a birch, standing in perfect Asana all day

Metta, Stefan
anicca

deanmw

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
On the subject of mice getting ulcers -

Peter Levine put forward a theory about why animals don't get ulcers (or at least accumulate stress) in his book "Waking the Tiger". He noticed that after stressful fight-or-flight encounters, animals tend to lie down and succumb to violent shaking, which when slowed down on film revealed patterns of muscle movement related to their recent trauma. He postulates that this releases nervous energy that would otherwise be locked in their bodies, eventually leading to illness.

He also hypothesizes that people bypass this natural mechanism, presumably because the analytical mind kicks in. He went on to develop an effective body-based therapy (Somatic Experiencing) to treat clients with post traumatic stress disorders.

I think Somatic Experiencing, as well as Eugene Gendlin's "Focusing" technique, has much in common with Vipassana meditation. Paying attention to body sensations with equanimity seems to be very healing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:34:19 PM by deanmw »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »
On the subject of mice getting ulcers -

Peter Levine put forward a theory about why animals don't get ulcers (or at least accumulate stress) in his book "Waking the Tiger". He noticed that after stressful fight-or-flight encounters, animals tend to lie down and succumb to violent shaking, which when slowed down on film revealed patterns of muscle movement related to their recent trauma. He postulates that this releases nervous energy that would otherwise be locked in their bodies, eventually leading to illness.

Read this http://www.perceptions.couk.com/devices.html

It's about what happens to human mammals who "don't shake it off" .. and more.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

deanmw

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 06:02:29 PM »
Read this http://www.perceptions.couk.com/devices.html

It's about what happens to human mammals who "don't shake it off" .. and more.

Interesting article & scary with it. It's hard to know what to believe - I certainly lost faith in the media to tell it like it is years ago. On the other hand conspiracy theories abound. Robert Anton Wilson after studying them for years came to the conclusion that most conspiracies don't last more than a decade or so because someone always ends up stabbing the co-conspirators in the back. But I guess it's different amongst the ruling classes.

The final statement "those who abuse power over the helpless are merely more cowardly terrorists" reminded me of another piece from the Alan Watts article:

And the man who rules you all is the biggest crook in the bunch. Because he's the one who succeeded in crime. The other people are pushed aside because they--the criminals, the people we lock up in jail--are simply the people who didn't make it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:05:09 PM by deanmw »