Author Topic: Vipassana + Emotional Techniques  (Read 4727 times)

rideforever

Vipassana + Emotional Techniques
« on: March 29, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
I have been combining meditation techniques recently.

Vipassana + Atisha's Heart Meditation, and
Vipassana + Peter Levine's Waking The Tiger Work

Why ?  Well my goal is not enlightenment, it is to be happy and work through trauma.  Also, as Ken Wilber says the goal for most people is unifying the centaur level - which is my goal ... just to be happy and normal, and regain my spontaneity and joyfullness.

So Vipassana does seem to be effective.  As does just 'sitting with your feelings' ... Atisha's Heart Meditation is version of sitting with your feelings.  As does Waking The Tiger.

It seems to me that these 3 techniques use different inbuilt mechanisms within us to heal.

Vipassana : works at the deepest level, energetically
Sitting with Feelings : works by facing emotions and welcoming them into yourself
Waking The Tiger : works with the fight/flight/freeze mechanism

Vipassana increases overall sensitivity, and I use it as a catalyst for the other 2 techniques ... i.e., it allows me to feel deeply my emotions, making the other 2 techniques available. 

I am experimenting with using these techniques together.

Morning Dew

Re: Vipassana + Emotional Techniques
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:03 PM »
just to be happy and normal, and regain my spontaneity and joyfullness

I share this goal with you :) and for that reason I am moderating my forum activities and totally have stopped reading about meditation and similar mind boggling stuff ;)

Besides putting your self diligently into those 3 techniques which work well for you, you can also try (or rather test it) to care for something like growing plants, vegetables or/and caring for a dog, chicken, goat, horse or similar .... anything which will focus your mind into something concrete, something actual in a mindful manner.
If none of these work for you try knitting hats, socks or hand gloves :D  my wife started doing this recently and man she calmed a lot.

I wish you all the best my friend :)

Friendly Che

rideforever

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »
Hi Che.  Thanks for the response, but you are not relating to anything that I have said.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
This is interesting rf. It is true that for working through trauma additional techniques to meditation can be advantageous and sometimes essential. I think the way you are working shows some true wisdom.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:32:42 AM »
Lately, I have been using Hale Dwoskin's Sedona Method as well as Larry Crane's Release Technique along with my meditative practice. These wonderful tools do bring about very effective emotional healing when used persistently. Especially good for working on past issues.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Morning Dew

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:41:17 AM »
Hi Che.  Thanks for the response, but you are not relating to anything that I have said.

I was relating to the part i quoted mate :) from my own perspective. Go back notice the quote (separated from your whole post) and contemplate on it or not :)

Friendly Che

rideforever

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:11:45 AM »
Look, I am wanting to discuss Vipassana + Emotional techniques ... that's why I have made this thread.  If you want to talk about that then great, and if not make your own thread and talk about gardening. 

Morning Dew

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:07:18 AM »
As you wish.

Friendly :)

rideforever

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »
Lately, I have been using Hale Dwoskin's Sedona Method as well as Larry Crane's Release Technique along with my meditative practice. These wonderful tools do bring about very effective emotional healing when used persistently. Especially good for working on past issues.

Cool, glad I am not the only one.  I couldn't find any instructions for these 2 techniques anywhere - is there a place, or do you have to pay for them ??

One other thing I was doing yesterday was watching very carefully for any negative emotions and breathing them into my heart, drawing them close and merging with them - these emotions have a lot of energy for sure and its good to try and reintegrate that energy ... this is a lot of what Atisha's Heart Meditation is about.  But I am DIY'ing it.  It seemed to do some good yesterday, I felt some things I haven't felt in a while ... good things !

NickAWilson

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
Thanks for this thread RF. I've got a bunch of tabs open on all these people/techniques I'd never heard of and will be doing my research! I expected with meditation to have all kinds of emotional stuff bubble up but so far zilch, nothing. I'm very surprised, as I imagine a lot of my woe's stem from that kind of thing.

I like the idea of combining techniques. I've found using body scan (picked up from Kabatt-zinn) together with samatha to be at least working to calm me right down. If I can get Yoga into that also it's even better but there are only so many hours in the day...

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »
Cool, glad I am not the only one.  I couldn't find any instructions for these 2 techniques anywhere - is there a place, or do you have to pay for them ??
You tried google? You can get the book "The Sedona Method" which explains SM, as well as "Abundance Course" which explains Release Technique, from Amazon. It's not necessary to learn both the techniques, they are almost the same, since, both Larry and Hale were students of the enlightened master, Lester Levenson. Lester is the inspiration behind both the techniques. He used the basic releasing process to free himself of all misery and attain complete freedom, or, so the story goes. It's best to learn the techniques using audio programs available from both Larry and Hale's websites, rather than trying out from the books. You can also check out the Sedona Method community (you'll get the site if you'd do a google with these keywords).
One other thing I was doing yesterday was watching very carefully for any negative emotions and breathing them into my heart, drawing them close and merging with them - these emotions have a lot of energy for sure and its good to try and reintegrate that energy ...
Hmm.. sounds a little similar to the Hawaian technique, Ho'oponopono. I feel that all good emotional releasing processes have the basic foundation of first being mindful of them, and then accepting them as they are.

rideforever

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
Ok ... this is good stuff ... Lester Levenson (Release Technique) ... me like !!!! :D

All unhappiness is caused by our trying to be limited, to be an ego. The more we are our Self, the happier we are. We will never be completely happy until we are completely being our Self.

Misery is complexity. Happiness is simplicity.

If you see misery, it's your misery. When you see the perfection where the seeming imperfection seems to be, the misery is only an apparency.

Every problem is an ego problem. In order to have a problem there has to be an ego-frustration.

Feeling sad about anything is holding onto it. Say, 'This is something I have to let go of,' and immediately you will feel better.

Every time you feel miserable, there is present an excellent opportunity to make a big step forward.

Until we become fully free, we put up a false front, a facade, to others for the purpose of winning the acceptance and approval of others. We behave in accordance with what we think the other one wants rather than by expressing our own real feelings.

Parliaments cannot right the world; but enough individuals feeling love can.

When one really loves, one can never be hurt.

Love eliminates fear. Love eliminates anxiety.

Peace is non-resistance, complete acceptance, identification with all, everyone, everything.

What is joy? Joy is nothing but the Self. When desires are fulfilled, the mind is stilled. This allows the Self to shine forth and that is what we call joy.

The way to infinite joy is through the elimination of desire, -- no attachments, no aversions.

All minds are interconnected. Otherwise they could not understand each other.

The facade is the ego. It is motivated by our seeking love. The only reward is frustration, as it is only by loving that one finds love.

Love is a feeling of givingness with no thought of receiving any return for it.

Whatever happens to us originates in the mind.

Truth can be found by a process of eliminating wrong thoughts, which are thoughts of limitation. When all thoughts of limitation are eliminated, what remains is our natural, unlimited, Self.

People need each other and think it is love. There's no hanging on to, or fencing in, of the other one when one loves.

There's nothing bad; there's just making errors on the way back Home.

There's no such thing as a mistake---we do it! There's no such thing as an accident---we do it!.

Don't probe darkness to understand light. Don't dwell on sickness to be healthy. Don't indulge in thoughts of lack to have supply.

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:24:20 AM »
The book "Keys to Ultimate Freedom" is a compilation of Lester's insights and teachings. Worth reading if you feel Lester does make sense to you.