Author Topic: Life and death  (Read 3223 times)

thomas

Life and death
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »
A small tale. Just happened to me.

Stunning sunny day. Decided to meditate in the garden with a cool breeze and only slightly destracting frog croaks, and bird song... and a distant lawn mower.

After I finished I decided to go and say hi to the croaking frog.. who just stared at me for about 3/4 minutes. In those 4 minutes I was trying to continue my pratice (trying, in my amateur way). Being aware of bodily sensations and keeping the mind quiet.

A rustling caught my attention in the pond. A small chaffinch trying to hide in the reeds. Spotted me and crawled deeper. Having a closer look didn't scare it off. Eventually I got right next to it.. figured something was wrong and carefully picked it up.

I ended up sitting with it in my hand for around 45 minutes. Wings seemed fine, no external injuries. Eyes open, occasionally flapping. I could feel it breathing and its heart. Trying to think if there was anything I could do. I won't tell you exactly what I thought I could do.. or did... but I did and thought it! I sat with it in my hand for 5 minutes whilst meditating .. not sure why.

A nasty realisation happened as I remembered a bird smacking in to the window I was behind yesterday. Probably this poor little guy. Internal bleeding maybe. Maybe in the rushes to avoid predators in its dying hour.

To cut to the chase, whilst I held him, he let out a little squeek, convulsed and that was it. The little eye I had been looking in to throughout the time was suddenly glazed. Total quiet. The struggle was over.

Now I dont know what to do with him. He's right next to me here. I know it doesn't really matter.

Anyway. It had quite an impact on me, so wanted to share. During this I took 2 photos. He was beautiful. The picture of his face... taken minutes minutes before he died.

Life and death - in my hand.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:18:18 PM by thomas »
back to the breath... and back to the breath....  and back to the breath.... and back to the breath..... and back to the breath

rideforever

Re: Life and death
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
How beautiful ...

Morning Dew

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
:)

ivana

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »
It is so sad.
Ivana

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:30 PM »
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
I would give it a simple, proper burial. (I do think it matters, just like it matters how we treat our thoughts.)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:21 PM »
thomas

Quardamon said what I was going to say. Thanks for sharing. It is a reminder of how fleeting this life is and how we must treat our time preciously.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

thomas

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
To be honest, it did matter to me what I did with his body. Unskilful comment -  "I know it doesnt really matter", as if I have to apologise for thinking it does.

I put him back in the reeds where I found him in the end. Hidden in the middle. I thought about other options but felt things should carry on as I found them. Other little creatures will live off him.

But where did that glisten go. Something left that little guy, I wanted to breathe it in.
back to the breath... and back to the breath....  and back to the breath.... and back to the breath..... and back to the breath

dragoneye

• on the wings of compassion and wisdom
    • Observant
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:21:16 AM »
..... I wanted to breathe it in.
Keep going, its more and more beautiful....
Blessings
Dragoneye

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46:03 AM »

To be honest, it did matter to me what I did with his body. Unskilful comment -  "I know it doesnt really matter", as if I have to apologise for thinking it does.

It does matter. The fact that a body is only illusory doesn't mean we are to be disrespectful towards life and death.
Thank you for being heartful to your world.

Metta to You, Stefan
anicca