Author Topic: Breathing and Meditation  (Read 7218 times)

Mindfullness

Breathing and Meditation
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »
In one of Osho's book, he discusses breathing through the mouth rather than the nose during meditation. I was wondering if it is " OK" to do this during Vipassana meditation?

Namaste

Re: Breathing and Meditation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »
Give it a try, but an open mouth gives the sense organs a lot of stuff to work with - I'm sticking with nose and mouth if it comes to it.

dragoneye

• on the wings of compassion and wisdom
    • Observant
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:03:29 PM »
Dragoneye

thelastrich

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »
uh
now I'm convinced not to breath trough mouth  :D
Still I wouldn't do It, I swallow a little more than I would like, if I keep my mouth open that would be like the niagara falls.

Mindfullness

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:50:44 AM »
That site convinced me not too breathe through my mouth ever ever again

;D

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:36 AM »
I've actually done a fair amount of meditation while breathing through an open mouth, and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.  Personally, I do it whenever I come across an extremely persuasive reason: my nose is stuffed! :o

Once you drop dogma about how to meditate, you can start letting your intentions guide your practice.  See for yourself whether breathing through the mouth is a problem.

When I do open-mouth breathing, I usually focus on sensations throughout my body. But I also sometimes focus on the abdomen, and guess what? I've even done open-mouth breathing while focusing at the nose! Its true, it can be done.  :D

Of course, I prefer breathing through my nose, and I doubt I will ever choose to breathe through my mouth. But there is no harm in trying it for yourself!

KN
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:16:45 AM »
I've actually done a fair amount of meditation while breathing through an open mouth, and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.  Personally, I do it whenever I come across an extremely persuasive reason: my nose is stuffed! :o

I find tissues handy.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Mindfullness

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:21:03 AM »
Is it really important to actually sit in full-lotus position? I have read in places that is the position the Buddha sat in, and that sitting in the full-lotus position is the best more maximizing the benefits of meditation. What are y'all opinions on that ?

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
@nliyan:  This thread is named "breathing ..."  ;) 
Feel free to start a new one, but there has been a thread on sitting posture and the lotus already.

@Breathing:
1) When you do something like Pranayama, you can only do it properly through the nose. It wouldn't work through the mouth.
2) But "our" meditations described here are not active breathing meditations (you don't change your breath), but active mindfulness meditations, so the breath is "watched" only. It also works open mouthed. That is why you can go on meditating even if you caught the sniffles and cannot breath through your nose. (Goenka's Anapana being the exception, obviously).
3) I personally feel better when breathing through the nose while meditating.
4) From the health point of view breathing through the nose is healthier than breathing through the mouth.

@Osho: I read a few of his books, and I truly like some of his ideas. But to be honest, I feel that some of his thoughts are rather twisted. And if it comes to his practical approach on meditation, I wouldn't take his advise. He is far faaar away from "buddhistic" meditation, so how could he give you advise on your technique?

Metta, Stefan

anicca