Author Topic: Japan  (Read 10575 times)

ivana

Re: Japan
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 08:50:58 AM »
It is not a japanese failure but a failure of mankind

Our whole human society is based on Living in Desire and Aversion. It is considered Normal. We build enormous walls to secure ourselves in form of money, technology, law, etc...

Even though considered human to feel for others suffering i also feel that we humans are overpoulating the planet and by doing this we are putting all other life form at risk (consumerism). I feel nature will find the way to wipe us down soon if we dont change our habits. But it might be already too late now. Maybe move to another planet and use that one up totaly too.

It would be more natural if we humans would be on a food chain list of another specie. That would keep our numbers down and would for sure keep us more alert, living in the now aware of all that is.

As i mentioned elsewere i felt more alive when i lived in the warzone. Not the actual fight but just living on mauntains without any plans for the future, and my life was at stake any second.

Friendly Che

Dear Che
I have to confirm that your feeling is my feeling as well. I did not live in the war zone.  But I went often to India and really between people who are the poorest from the poorest.  I am always more alive in India. Even if  I remember the people. Now one part of earth are people killed in Japan and opposite of earth are people killed in Libya. It is my reason to teach meditation because I do not know other solution for it. People see this in newspaper in TV but after often they go to do business and to cinema and to make children.
Sorry maybe it is not very good organized article but it is how I feel it.
Take care
Ivana

Che do you remember that you wrote we should use check of our spelling? ;) My English is not good but I did how was recommended. But the most important is what is sense of your article and I like it with all your mauntains.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:12:06 AM by Ivana »

dragoneye

• on the wings of compassion and wisdom
    • Observant
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »
No mater how screwed up the world is, there is always plenty of opportunity to love and be loved.  And to be in contact with the divine.
Sometimes, it seems we collectively are evolving; sometimes devolving. My guess is, that it has always been this way. I don't think that the reality is, that we are, somehow farther along in our misery or behaviors associated with it.
The choice to embrace loving kindness, might be the one action that has a cumulative effect on our evolution. That is, to me, the premise of the most wise, and the teachers, that we look to, in this community.
I agree with Rideforever here, and this gives me strength for equanimity during these times.
Peace and blessings,
DE
Dragoneye

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
A decent article by MJ Akbar, one of my favourite journalists:

It is facetious to attribute Hiroshima to human nature and Fukushima to nature. Nature was the trigger, not the gun. Nuclear power was devised by man. It was a wartime invention, a consequence of the Manhattan Project in which British and American scientists collaborated to fashion the ultimate weapon of mass destruction during a conflict that had already sunk to unprecedented levels of degradation and slaughter. Nuclear power was not created for the electrification of France, Japan or Jaitapur. It was designed to kill, and continues to do so with periodic ruthlessness.

We fall in love with the monsters we create. There is always a flaccid excuse on display: Dr Frankenstein is ever advertising his monster as a robot which will look after babies in peacetime-until the monster fulfils its destiny by destroying its creator.

Many fictions were needed to foster the image of nuclear energy as a peacetime boon, for the good reason that its true potential lay in destruction. The mushroom cloud was and is a symbol of magnetic horror. The task before the nuclear industry's publicity machine was a familiar one: to sell the notion that this man-eating tiger could be controlled. There was money in the deception, for an industry was being fashioned out of opportunity. Big suits appeared with generous budgets. We expect profit to be amoral. The tipping point comes when profit slips into the irrational. If there is profit in danger, we exploit danger; but laws are enacted precisely because profiteers rarely know when to draw the line against their own pockets. The biggest fraud was to sell nuclear plants as benign energy, when the atomic source had the elemental power of havoc. The image of this industry was described through details of the cage, not the tiger.

There remained the problem of an accident; the evidence of Three Mile Island in America and Chernobyl in the Soviet Union reiterated the fear. Accidents were dismissed as too rare to worry about, and those who protested were caricatured as leftists with a regressive agenda, or pseudo-academics, or perennial trouble-makers. The rare person who broke ranks within this mammoth industry to tell the truth was sacked. Dangerous facts were submerged within a mess of detail, an expertise that corporates excel at. Japan's power companies cheated on their own people. Japan sits on four tectonic zones; and tsunami is a Japanese word. Reactors are built along the coast so that seawater can be used to cool them. Experts have repeatedly warned that nuclear plants in Japan are akin to a kamikaze terrorist waiting to explode. Even the dark memory of Hiroshima and Nagasaki did not prevent Japan's power companies from taking a self-destructive risk.

True, there is risk in any endeavour. No one wants an accident, least of all owners of nuclear plants, but it is necessary to work out the calculus of a mistake. A dam might be risky, but its collapse can do only so much damage. In a nuclear crisis we shift to a different dictionary. Nations have long known that a nuclear war will wreck victor and vanquished almost equally, and poison the world, which is why the prospect of a holocaust established the paradox of hostile peace between America and the Soviet Union and gave us the acronym, MAD [Mutually Assured Destruction]. In a miracle of manipulation, the nuclear industry has managed to sell "peaceful nuclear energy" as something different from the energy of weapons. It is the same energy, being put to different use; radiation is no less devastating because it has come from Fukushima instead of Hiroshima.

The nuclear industry has successfully minimised, in the public consciousness, the consequences of an accident. Radiation became just another whiff of smoke, possibly hazardous in the estimate of the clean-airwallahs, but nothing to distract us from the television serials we shall see with more electricity. The majority of Indians remain indifferent to the prospect of a nuclear plant at Jaitapur, or the fact that seawater seeped into Kalpakkam, near Chennai, during the last tsunami. Do we need a Japan 2011 to wake us up? This chain reaction of explosions in Japan has already imperiled tourism, aviation, agriculture… you could reach the end of this column simply by listing broken businesses. I have absolutely no doubt that when corporate honchos and their friends in government decided to build nuclear plants in Japan, they sold it as the cheapest, safest panacea. No one mentions seismic tremors in the promotion literature, even if Jaitapur has been hit by an earthquake recently.

China has suspended all new nuclear facilities pending a fresh look at safety regulations. Perhaps the industry is too large to be killed, and must only be sent to hospital for recuperation. We learnt nothing from Japan in 1945; we are unlikely to learn anything in 2011.
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

rideforever

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »
Thanks Crystal Palace, that's very cheery ... have a nice weekend !

Seriously, I write letters like this a lot, all in my mind, ... very precisely and carefully worded, very well reasoned, bringing us slowly to the point of the matter - beautiful. 

But ... I feel that it's bullshit somehow.  Not the facts about the nuclear industry, that's correct of course and well done for spotting it ... but the whole frame of reference I feel might not be right.

Firstly the entire nuclear industry is a product of the human mind.  So who will you blame, someone out there ?  It's them that is doing it ?  I am ANGRY too, in fact I am SCORCHING ANGRY, believe me, mostly I am V O L C A N O  A N G R Y. 

(breathe deep ok, 1 elephant, 2 elephant ... ok ok )

And for sure most people on the planet want something big to happen in 2012 either we all die or Jesus arrives - either way is good.

But I think we are just avoiding something really big which is : yes, it really is like this.

And I think we are still caught up in our very very deep conditioning, which is that the world should look like the postcards with bambi jumping over the fields ...

But actually the only thing to do is to drop the mind.  Actually, by talking about the world as one big disaster we are :

a. not facing the reality of what it is like
b. hiding in some fantasy of what it should be like
c. we can't help steer the ship at all because like everyone else we are scared

If you want to do something then you have to stand on deck, at the bow, and you look at the sea and say ' this is now the best course of action'.  You are not much of a captain if you walk to the front and say 'the sea shouldn't be like this', ... 'the sea should be gentle and I don't accept these waves !!'  Ok, you can't be the captain, just sit in the passenger compartment - we will find someone else.

You can reach the almighty even in maximum security prison, so that is not a problem I don't think - you can always find the divine.

I feel like pukeing saying this because I also have believed in green fields and fresh air ... but I feel that this is still clinging, even if I am crying when I say that.  If I am wrong please tell me.  Please tell me bambi is the right thing to cling to.  But I think not.

If nuclear waste spreads throughout the world and we all die at 60, well ... let's make it a good 60.  Julius Caesar died at 34, and didn't waste time. 

The joy of one breath perhaps should be enough, a single breath is enough to feel the divine, everything else is just repetition.

---

I have more to say, I am currently formulating my grand theory of everything so ...

Now it's easy easy to be a buddhist because then you can cling to an ideal.  It's easy to hide in a monastery. 

Looking at the world though, participating in a way that you think is good, that is a different kettle of fish ... now you are talking about courage.  Courage of facing death, of facing a desperate situation ... smiling at death.

Emptying and filling ... this helps me understand.  Loving and being loved, this is a wonderful thing - this is how to do life.  To give your love to ... your boss ... your prime minister ... your father ... to the old lady on the street ... to really listen and love all these people.  And to give them what you can, you have a small life of a small monkey on a small planet ... and yet to give somebody else something ... some time, some listening, some smiling, some love. 

And that's it.  I think that is actually it.  There isn't more than that. 

And not to be sad, but to celebrate.  Celebrate ever breath.  Please don't be sad (saying to myself) because there isn't time for it.  Try ... yes, do ... yes, think ... yes ... but don't be sad.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:12:26 PM by rideforever »

Alexanderjohn

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
Beautiful RF, thankyou.

dragoneye

• on the wings of compassion and wisdom
    • Observant
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
The joy of one breath perhaps should be enough, a single breath is enough to feel the divine....

Right on Rideforever.
I would say that this is the truth we are seeking.
Simple and profound; and when done with a smile... it might be everything.
With loving kindness, TGIF,
DE
Dragoneye

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »

Nuclear plants are the classic monster of Frankenstein.
There is no serious reason for keeping them running.
No notch of energy can be as catastrophic as a nuclear accident.

Still I read about important people who keep a serious face and tell us "yes, a bad thing, BUT ..."  ???
We live in a madhouse where the madmen are the warders.

And while this is discussed, the catastrophy keeps on hitting poor Japan.

Oh, Metta to this world.
Sanity to human mind.

anicca

Daiho

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
As the wind blows, a sepia-colored photograph and a new year's greeting card with a picture of someone's baby come flying to my feet.

And at every step or two, there is a red flag fluttering in the wind. A whole slew of flags, too many to even begin to count.

"These red flags are standing to mark places where bodies have been found."

Honestly, this was rough.

An old lady is standing in front of one of the flags. She might be about the same age as my own grandmother.

"Dear nurse from Tokyo, there was a house here that my husband worked so hard to build after the war. He never got sick once but now he's dead."

I have the emotions of a human being. It was impossible not to cry.

The lead nurse came flying and pulled me behind a car by my ear. I was scolded severely. But no matter how much trouble I get in, I thought, I'm going to stay true to my own emotions here from now on.

The TV can only show footage that is within their codes of practice, and yet we are seeing all those images.

I saw with my own eyes the real situation there that is not and cannot be shown on television, and it was truly hell.

http://jkts-english.blogspot.com/

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »
As the wind blows, a sepia-colored photograph and a new year's greeting card with a picture of someone's baby come flying to my feet.

And at every step or two, there is a red flag fluttering in the wind. A whole slew of flags, too many to even begin to count.

"These red flags are standing to mark places where bodies have been found."

Honestly, this was rough.

An old lady is standing in front of one of the flags. She might be about the same age as my own grandmother.

"Dear nurse from Tokyo, there was a house here that my husband worked so hard to build after the war. He never got sick once but now he's dead."

I have the emotions of a human being. It was impossible not to cry.

The lead nurse came flying and pulled me behind a car by my ear. I was scolded severely. But no matter how much trouble I get in, I thought, I'm going to stay true to my own emotions here from now on.

The TV can only show footage that is within their codes of practice, and yet we are seeing all those images.

I saw with my own eyes the real situation there that is not and cannot be shown on television, and it was truly hell.

http://jkts-english.blogspot.com/

Dear Daiho,

thanks for sharing.
Yes, hell. You are an extraordinary brave man to go there, I admire you very much for that.
It is right to stay true to yourself. Be strong, be well!

Metta to you, Stefan
anicca

jeepneyko

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
that's what we get when we alter nature, nature hits back....

in their natural state, when atoms split, there's a tremendous amount of energy being released..

in the case of man splitting atoms... there's also a tremendous amount of energy being released

when we forcefully alter nature, nature hits back... i read somewhere that to go against nature is ''sinful'', because its un-natural. splitting atoms is un-natural, therefore ''sinful''.  ::)

i hope we learn something from japan's nuclear disaster.

what's the quote again? ''perform wholesome action, avoid doing un-wholesome action...''  :angel: