Author Topic: Christians piss me off  (Read 14647 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Christians piss me off
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
..... It seems my experience on this forum is a perfect balance of encouragement and annoyance. .....

That's life, not just this forum.

It is very easy to get upset.
It is much harder to keep your calm.
It is very easy to miss lessons.
It is much harder to look truth in the face.

What is happening in Japan is very sad. However 30,000 children die every day in countries less well off than Japan due to lack of basics such as food and water. Since the earthquake hit approximately 150,000 children have died needlessly due to poverty. There are few good facts coming from Japan but my best guess is that around 30 - 40,000 people have probably died in this tragedy. Japan will need to rebuild. Where you find the starving children they have nothing to rebuild.

Everything is relative. Suffering is inherent in life. The ego causing you problems won't stop by feeding it. When you judge another harshly for their response to a situation you show your own weaknesses as much as the other persons. This reacting and the judging are both ego driven activities. Don't forget that. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. When you speak harshly to someone because of their reaction you are breaking the precept of wholesome speech.

Just because someone on this site pisses you off leaving is a very poor response to the situation. Especially as we are coming here from many cultures, places and languages, all working here in English - which is not the first language for most - and many, many things get lost in translation. Including the subtleties of humour - which is a very common human response to deal with trauma. I know that for a fact because after the Indonesian Tsunami I commented on my website and happened to have a joke on the same page. I got thousands of hits from people looking for "Tsunami jokes".

Am I sad for the people of Japan? Yes. I am more disturbed that "sexy" TV images of floods and fire get 24/7 TV coverage whilst Paris Hilton's new handbag is more likely to make the headlines than the 30,000 kids that will die needlessly today worldwide  ..... This is a reflection of the collective consciousness and conscience of the human family.

Crikey.  I don't feel this is any good at all.  Lacks compassion, good humour, judgement, humility, common sense ... and I think your 'reasoning' is extremely distorted.

Explain please. Demonstrate my various lacks. Pick them apart so I can understand where you are coming from. In the above post I cover too much ground for one sentence to adequately respond in any meaningful way.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »

Explain please. Demonstrate my various lacks. Pick them apart so I can understand where you are coming from. In the above post I cover too much ground for one sentence to adequately respond in any meaningful way.

maybe it would be best to drop it, you know ...

I understand your meaning, I understand Rideforever, too. Please try to answer your question for yourself. I'm sure with a little distance you will see where you crossed that fine line (as I felt, too). On the other hand, there's no big use to quarrel about "who's done this, who's said that", since nobody ever learned when emtionally attached to a discussion like this.

Metta, Stefan
anicca

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »
.... Please try to answer your question for yourself. I'm sure with a little distance you will see where you crossed that fine line (as I felt, too). ...

Well, since I posted, there are another 30,000 dead kids on the table in parts of the world not called Japan, not rich and not important to the "global economy". That's not a very fine line, it's a scar on all our lives that outweighs 9/11, Japan and the Indonesian Tsunami. You may feel my posting raw truth "crossing a fine line", I don't. Compassion for the people of Japan, Bahrain, Libya, to name a few is not something I lack. The reason I am on the path and dedicated to Dhamma as a life and not as "part of my life" is just this.

You state no one ever learned when emotionally attached to a discussion like this but your "feeling" about my post is relevant somehow?

Most of what is going on here is not compassion it is sentimentality. The raw truth I posted was to contrast our views on the relative worth of people - this false conditioning was one of the fundamental points the Buddha's teaching addresses by undoing the Caste system.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
.... Please try to answer your question for yourself. I'm sure with a little distance you will see where you crossed that fine line (as I felt, too). ...

Well, since I posted, there are another 30,000 dead kids on the table in parts of the world not called Japan, not rich and not important to the "global economy". That's not a very fine line, it's a scar on all our lives that outweighs 9/11, Japan and the Indonesian Tsunami. You may feel my posting raw truth "crossing a fine line", I don't. Compassion for the people of Japan, Bahrain, Libya, to name a few is not something I lack. The reason I am on the path and dedicated to Dhamma as a life and not as "part of my life" is just this.

You state no one ever learned when emotionally attached to a discussion like this but your "feeling" about my post is relevant somehow?

Most of what is going on here is not compassion it is sentimentality. The raw truth I posted was to contrast our views on the relative worth of people - this false conditioning was one of the fundamental points the Buddha's teaching addresses by undoing the Caste system.

things can be so true but still irrelevant at the moment. even more, they can be disturbing, offensive ect ...
it is my feeling (=sensing, not emotion!) that a discussion about your raised topics in this special situation is a little bit on the tactless side. But you are right.
In other words, I don't feel it is the right time to post the raw truth as you did.

It was not my feelings alone, by the way. There have been some toes, (not only) you stepped on them without actually wanting to. So, two possibilities: a polite "excuse me", not because you were wrong, but out of understanding for the distress of the others ... or more raw truths ...

Empathy is a truth often neglected. Search your feelings, Luke (again  ::) ) ...

Metta to you, Stefan
anicca