Author Topic: Christians piss me off  (Read 14665 times)

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
Re: Christians piss me off
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 05:18:08 PM »

According to theistic religions Man was made in God's image

I'd like to think Man made God in his image.

CP
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »

According to theistic religions Man was made in God's image

I'd like to think Man made God in his image.

CP

My guess is you're right. Unmerciful, wrathful, clearly doesn't give a shit - and not round to look after his kids.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

rideforever

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
What's happening in Japan is very upsetting.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
Daiho, How are your in-laws? I understand they live in Japan.
I' ll have to think what I can do with the gambare.png - I used my facebook account only once.
I do not know what to say further.
Quardamon

Morning Dew

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »
What's happening in Japan is very upsetting.

Indeed.
Keep bringing the attention back to your breathing and calming into the body. Do not upset your self, with that you can not help any one down there. Help in a concrete manner by going there and helping at the spot or by sending money via donation. If not send all the love you feel towards them in need and go back to calming the body-mind.

The worse you can do is read or watch the news! Let it be or get actually involved, no reason to linger, OK  :)

Be well.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »

Unmerciful, wrathful, clearly doesn't give a CRAPOLA - and not round to look after his kids.

Why the need to attack what isn't yours?
anicca

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »

Unmerciful, wrathful, clearly doesn't give a CRAPOLA - and not round to look after his kids.

Why the need to attack what isn't yours?

That's not an attack ;D them's the Biblical facts.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »
You only have to read the Gnostic Gospel Of Thomas or other Gnostic Gospels to know that Christ the man was a Gnostic/Mystic and had more in common with Buddha than with most "Christians" alive today.

Or you can read the king of gnostic gospels; John. I have no idea how that one got in the bible. It may constitute a proof that god exists after all!

I completely agree with you, jesus was someone completely different from the popular image. I have always felt, the more I said, and these days the more I write the further I get from knowing anything. It feels like a catch 22. How does anyone know anything about men who didn't write anything down? Bastards  ;)

Although I doubt they would have been best mates or anything, they are certainly only a few degrees apart on the mystic scale.

love

andy

Edit: there is an irony to us discussing Christianity in a thread also discussing Japan, the one country that has historically 'succeeded' in keeping itself free of Christianity!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:24:50 AM by daydreamer »
getting it done

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 03:59:58 AM »
It's a relief to know that the threat of nuclear meltdown is not valid, after all: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/IAEA-No-Indication-of-Nuclear-Reactor-Meltdown-in-Japan-117971924.html
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Jeeprs

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »
That thread is out of date already. The explosion that happened Tuesday 15th Mar 06:14am (local time) might have been of a different kind to the earlier explosions, and might have affected the 'reactor core', according to the reports I am reading. Check the Washington Post.  The threat of a meltdown has not abated, in fact at this moment, it looks more likely than it did 24 hours ago. Heaven help us all if it does.

Andrew

• Letting Go.
getting it done

Morning Dew

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 08:34:08 AM »
My dog seems not be upset about the dogs in Japan. My cats seem not to be upset about the cats in Japan. My aquarium fish seems not to be upset about the slaughtered dolphins in Japan.

This thread is ironic; we talk about the catastrophe in Japan in a thread called "Christian piss me off". Human conditioning!

Peace with you all.
Che

rideforever

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
My dog seems not be upset about the dogs in Japan. My cats seem not to be upset about the cats in Japan.

They would be if they could see them, animals get very distressed

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
My dog seems not be upset about the dogs in Japan. My cats seem not to be upset about the cats in Japan. My aquarium fish seems not to be upset about the slaughtered dolphins in Japan.

This thread is ironic; we talk about the catastrophe in Japan in a thread called "Christian piss me off". Human conditioning!

Peace with you all.
Che

Are you trying to be profound? Because none of that is, just weird. Oh, maybe you are trying to teach us something oh enlighten Che, sorry, I didn't notice being so upset that I am for all the loss of life in a neighboring country. Mate, that post is just plain bizarre...I guess you have no connections with Japan at all?, congratulations i suppose.

love

andy
getting it done

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »
If one genuinely feels concern or even upset over the present situation of the Japanese, it's OK in my book. There is no need to be overly concerned about whether that affects one's equanimity or not. As long as one is mindful, it's OK. Considering the overwhelming loss suffered by thousands of people, maybe we should send our metta to them and feel the pain they are enduring right now.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Andrew

• Letting Go.
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
indifference is not equanimity, if it was then most of the world would be equanimous.

for what it's worth, Che, your post just shat me. It seems my experience on this forum is a perfect balance of encouragement and annoyance. Is it really that hard not to get arrogant over this meditation stuff? Damn, I'm arrogant enough without having some more shit to get proud of.

The rocks in my back yard don't seem upset either about Japan or Christians, but I'm not going to start asking them advice. Though perhaps I should, it may be more peaceful.

I won't be back. Think what you will.

love

andy

Now this is ironic che, an ex-christian leaving the forum on a thread about christians because of a buddhist who isn't a buddhist..
getting it done

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 02:19:12 PM »
indifference is not equanimity, if it was then most of the world would be equanimous.

for what it's worth, Che, your post just shat me. It seems my experience on this forum is a perfect balance of encouragement and annoyance. Is it really that hard not to get arrogant over this meditation stuff? Damn, I'm arrogant enough without having some more CRAPOLA to get proud of.

The rocks in my back yard don't seem upset either about Japan or Christians, but I'm not going to start asking them advice. Though perhaps I should, it may be more peaceful.

I won't be back. Think what you will.

love

andy

Now this is ironic che, an ex-christian leaving the forum on a thread about christians because of a buddhist who isn't a buddhist..

I'm pretty much with you there. But still, everybody including Che is trying to deal with this ... hell in his possible way. So, we should be very careful with each other, right now even more than usual. I will freely admit that this catastrophy shakes my equanimity, and so I tend to react harsh  if anybody says something stupid.

But what for? Add another bad reaction to a bad reaction and you double the problem. I'm sure you see that.

That's why I am not offended by Daiho that he is pissed off by Christians, nor am I offended by the cartoonlike view on god added by Matthew, nor by the waste of a post from Che (sorry, man!) nor by your rather childish reaction on Che ...
we're all not stupid or mean, just upset with the catastrophy (even if Che pretends not to be).

please be back here, Andy, I'd miss you (and Che, Matthew, Daiho and all the others).

Metta to this lovely world!

Stefan
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:22:38 PM by stefan »
anicca

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
..... It seems my experience on this forum is a perfect balance of encouragement and annoyance. .....

That's life, not just this forum.

It is very easy to get upset.
It is much harder to keep your calm.
It is very easy to miss lessons.
It is much harder to look truth in the face.

What is happening in Japan is very sad. However 30,000 children die every day in countries less well off than Japan due to lack of basics such as food and water. Since the earthquake hit approximately 150,000 children have died needlessly due to poverty. There are few good facts coming from Japan but my best guess is that around 30 - 40,000 people have probably died in this tragedy. Japan will need to rebuild. Where you find the starving children they have nothing to rebuild.

Everything is relative. Suffering is inherent in life. The ego causing you problems won't stop by feeding it. When you judge another harshly for their response to a situation you show your own weaknesses as much as the other persons. This reacting and the judging are both ego driven activities. Don't forget that. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. When you speak harshly to someone because of their reaction you are breaking the precept of wholesome speech.

Just because someone on this site pisses you off leaving is a very poor response to the situation. Especially as we are coming here from many cultures, places and languages, all working here in English - which is not the first language for most - and many, many things get lost in translation. Including the subtleties of humour - which is a very common human response to deal with trauma. I know that for a fact because after the Indonesian Tsunami I commented on my website and happened to have a joke on the same page. I got thousands of hits from people looking for "Tsunami jokes".

Am I sad for the people of Japan? Yes. I am more disturbed that "sexy" TV images of floods and fire get 24/7 TV coverage whilst Paris Hilton's new handbag is more likely to make the headlines than the 30,000 kids that will die needlessly today worldwide  ..... This is a reflection of the collective consciousness and conscience of the human family.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:54:05 PM by Matthew »

Morning Dew

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »
I am sorry I missed all what is going on since I last posted, I just came back from work  :-[

I am sorry I caused all this misunderstanding! When I said "My dog seems not be upset about the dogs in Japan. My cats seem not to be upset about the cats in Japan. My aquarium fish seems not to be upset about the slaughtered dolphins in Japan." I meant the LINGERING THOUGHTS as the main cause for being upset. This is how I used to be upset. I would be hanging in those LINGERING THOUGHTS all day, all week, all ... Animals seem to get ALERT (fight flight) and after the thing is over they seem to be carrying on with life as it is at that moment.
I seem to be feeling rather ALERT (in a calm manner) than UPSET. I am alert in a sense that I feel compassion towards all involved in the suffering and have a feeling that makes me ready to "jump in" and save as many as possible (but I am not there).

I wanted to draw a line between being UPSET (my reply to rideforever where I mentioned not to linger) and being MINDFULY ALERT in a very CALM manner. I will try to be more clear next time I post  :)

The second part of the post was only about the thread title and the fact that we are talking in ti about something totally different  :)

As always, friendly Che

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »

Thanks, Che ... this sounds much better.  ;)  Metta!
anicca

Morning Dew

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
@ stefan;   :angel: :P

Jeeprs

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »
Whatever one's philosophical intentions, there is one indispensable attribute that is required, and that is

Tact:

1. a sense of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others, so as to avoid giving offense or to win good will; discretion
2. skill or judgment in handling difficult or delicate situations; diplomacy

rideforever

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
..... It seems my experience on this forum is a perfect balance of encouragement and annoyance. .....

That's life, not just this forum.

It is very easy to get upset.
It is much harder to keep your calm.
It is very easy to miss lessons.
It is much harder to look truth in the face.

What is happening in Japan is very sad. However 30,000 children die every day in countries less well off than Japan due to lack of basics such as food and water. Since the earthquake hit approximately 150,000 children have died needlessly due to poverty. There are few good facts coming from Japan but my best guess is that around 30 - 40,000 people have probably died in this tragedy. Japan will need to rebuild. Where you find the starving children they have nothing to rebuild.

Everything is relative. Suffering is inherent in life. The ego causing you problems won't stop by feeding it. When you judge another harshly for their response to a situation you show your own weaknesses as much as the other persons. This reacting and the judging are both ego driven activities. Don't forget that. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. When you speak harshly to someone because of their reaction you are breaking the precept of wholesome speech.

Just because someone on this site pisses you off leaving is a very poor response to the situation. Especially as we are coming here from many cultures, places and languages, all working here in English - which is not the first language for most - and many, many things get lost in translation. Including the subtleties of humour - which is a very common human response to deal with trauma. I know that for a fact because after the Indonesian Tsunami I commented on my website and happened to have a joke on the same page. I got thousands of hits from people looking for "Tsunami jokes".

Am I sad for the people of Japan? Yes. I am more disturbed that "sexy" TV images of floods and fire get 24/7 TV coverage whilst Paris Hilton's new handbag is more likely to make the headlines than the 30,000 kids that will die needlessly today worldwide  ..... This is a reflection of the collective consciousness and conscience of the human family.

Crikey.  I don't feel this is any good at all.  Lacks compassion, good humour, judgement, humility, common sense ... and I think your 'reasoning' is extremely distorted.

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 04:05:43 AM »
my compassion originates something like this,

omg they are still very upset after doing all they wanted, they are in a state which i cant even imagine staying for longer than few thought chains, then i feel that pity, compassion for them, i cant stop myself from offering a helping hand.
if this whole thing is not in some small part of my active consciousness then i get angry on everybody, i curse the world for all its doings >:( lol some time on you guys for being so ahead in practice i feel jealous   :angel:

watch n forget 
metta to noble Japanese   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:08:52 AM by siddharthgode »

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »
This thread started under a bad sign, it was born out of bad feelings. It didn't improve too much.

Whatever one's philosophical intentions, there is one indispensable attribute that is required, and that is tact.

I started a thread on Japan under the Banyan tree. Everyone who wants to talk about this with tact is welcome to join.

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,1423.msg12126/topicseen.html#new

Metta, Stefan
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:09:07 AM by stefan »
anicca