Author Topic: Are you sitting comfortably?  (Read 10511 times)

Mackthefinger

Re: Are you shitting comfortably?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 10:15:50 PM »
Ah, great story TIB, worth waiting for.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Are you sitting comfortably?
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 10:35:04 PM »
Ah, great story TIB, worth waiting for.

And how apt that the story comes out in a thread called "Are you sitting comfortably" ... which is what people say to kids before they read them stories.

:)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Mackthefinger

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »
Happy new year to one and all,

Thanks to everyone for their sitting suggestions. I've just today finished a ten day retreat and
thought I'd add an update on my posture problems.

Before I went, I decided I was making too much of the posture thing; creating another problem in my
mind, another reason why I should cancel the course until later (learn yoga, buy/build a stool/cushion).
I came to the conclusion I'd walk into the hall, sit down on what was available and see what happened.

And what happened was mostly agony; the back, the knees, the hips. It got progressively worse, until on
day seven I could take no more, and got a seat. One I could sit in. And then moved between the seat and
the floor, when I felt able. This definately worked, giving my body a necessary break. I even managed to
do the hour of human torture!  ;D

The last few times certainly haven't been as bad, so I think the body does eventually adopt. And it certainly helps with focus.
 In the long term, I'm certainly going to experiment with stools, yoga etc and see what works.
 It was much harder in the hall, and I spent tooooooooo much time futtering with cushions blankets etc to find the most comfortable position.

It was a nuisance, but it didn't detract from the course, which was a wonderful experiance.
Am now off for some cushion fumbling in the half lotus position, looking forward to my first post
retreat sitting  ;D

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
Congrats on finishing the course!

The struggle for equanimity in spite of the discomfort can be a revealing experience.

It'll be interesting to hear about some of your experiences.  I found transitioning back to the "real" world took a bit of doing.  Or at least, incorporating all the changes I wanted to make and processing all that occurred.

The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »
Happy new year to one and all,

Happy new year to you too Mackthefinger

I even managed to do the hour of human torture!  ;D

I know EXACTLY what you mean, and yes if you keep at it your body will get use to the posture and you will do that hour voluntarily without moving an inch.
Keep us posted.  :)
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »
Mack,

So glad to hear this was a positive experience, if painful at times. You faced it head on and will always be glad you did.

May your practice flourish through the new year.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Mackthefinger

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »
Congrats on finishing the course!

The struggle for equanimity in spite of the discomfort can be a revealing experience.

It'll be interesting to hear about some of your experiences.  I found transitioning back to the "real" world took a bit of doing.  Or at least, incorporating all the changes I wanted to make and processing all that occurred.

Transitioning back to the real world was quite odd actually, one I'd never considered. The first was the cacophony of human voices after the course ended - I found it quite overwhelming and ran to a quiet place.
Leaving, I went to a supermarket for a newspaper and coffee and that too was quite strange. Things seemed to be in slo-mo, and the amount of choice available left me a bit distracted.

Easing myself back into the real world, I took a few days off work and went to a quiet place in the North West
of Ireland at the foot of a mountain. I've a dear dear friend up there, a Vipassana veteran, and she was great with words of advice and herbal tea.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, and yes if you keep at it your body will get use to the posture and you will do that hour voluntarily without moving an inch.
Keep us posted.  :)

The posture thing continues to bug me. I can do short bursts of 15 minutes before the pain takes over. As long as I can keep my composure and stretch my legs, it works ok. I realise I could use a chair, but I tend to fall asleep. I'll keep trying to turn 15 minutes into 30, then 25 etc....small steps.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »
Mack,

If using a chair it is important to sit upright and not use the back for support.

M

Mackthefinger

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
Mack,

If using a chair it is important to sit upright and not use the back for support.

M

Amazingly, I'd never thought of that. I guess its just something I've been doing automatically.Cheers Matthew.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 01:41:06 PM »
Mack,

M

Amazingly, I'd never thought of that. I guess its just something I've been doing automatically.Cheers Matthew.

Good way to sleep ... as you've discovered poor way to meditate :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:41:29 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Paul

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
Hi Mack, if youi get unconfortable or sleepy you can always try a little walking or even standing meditation.  The value of walking meditation is generally under estimated, and you can also just stand and meditate.  When you stand and meditate you'll notice that your concentration changes slightly - its interesting to see what happens.

Mackthefinger

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 10:54:17 PM »
Hi Mack, if youi get unconfortable or sleepy you can always try a little walking or even standing meditation.  The value of walking meditation is generally under estimated, and you can also just stand and meditate.  When you stand and meditate you'll notice that your concentration changes slightly - its interesting to see what happens.

Thanks Paul,

I've just discovered your post on walking meditation on another thread and will give it a lash during my lunchtime breaks. Now, if I can only turn that pesky mp3 off and get some silence with it  :)

Paul

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
Hi Mack, I hope your walking meditation goes well and you manage to forget the mp3 player  ;)  I swear by it these days...