Author Topic: Site Issues :)  (Read 2010 times)

Rocket

Site Issues :)
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »

Moderator Edit: I think I've cleaned your post up to appear as it should - let me know if not, TIB

We very definitely differ regarding things I understand as  fundamental to effective   practice.   Kick me out if you choose,  but I do not think changing my posts is appropriate.  OK?  If its just the framing of quotations,  OK with me.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Site Issues :)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
Rocket,

You have most definitely misunderstood me.

Moderator Edit: I think I've cleaned your post up to appear as it should - let me know if not, TIB

We very definitely differ regarding things I understand as  fundamental to effective   practice.   Kick me out if you choose,  but I do not think changing my posts is appropriate.  OK?  If its just the framing of quotations,  OK with me.

1) There is no question of kicking you out. This has not occurred to me at all - and I am highly surprised that you make mention of it. You have done NOTHING that would even make me think about it for a moment and I find your contributions to the forum highly valuable.

2) The only edits I have made were to the quotations in your posts - to format them correctly. I have not added to or removed from a single word you have written - except to inform you that I have edited the post "to appear as it should". For example I believe what you intended with the above post is to have this result:

~o~

We very definitely differ regarding things I understand as  fundamental to effective   practice.   Kick me out if you choose,  but I do not think changing my posts is appropriate.  OK?  If its just the framing of quotations,  OK with me.

~o~

i.e. You wanted to quote me then write your comment underneath. I reformatted the earlier posts in this way. At the moment you are writing your words inside the closing
Code: [Select]
[/quote] which makes it rather confusing as it looks like your whole post is quoting someone else.

When quoting this is how the above result is achieved:

[quote author=Rocket link=topic=1389.msg11467#msg11467 date=1298381714]
[/quote]

We very definitely differ regarding things I understand as  fundamental to effective   practice.   Kick me out if you choose,
but I do not think changing my posts is appropriate.  OK?  If its just the framing of quotations,  OK with me.

To get this effect click on "quote" then edit whatever is in the quotation down to what you want (I usually use .... to signify I have clipped a quote to the relevant part - see below). Then go below the last closing
[/quote] and start typing your response there.

That way your response will appear as normal text and not inside the quotation. It helps to use the preview button. A closing quote is lead by a / like all closing BBCode formats and quote BBCodes always come in pairs - an opener and closer. This is a bit "clunky" but the forum upgrades I am about to do will introduce a nicer post editor.

3)

..... We very definitely differ regarding things I understand as  fundamental to effective   practice.   ......

Regarding the fundamentals of practice I do not think we are as far apart as you seem to. My understanding is that we are in agreement that a calm and focussed mind is necessary for the fruit of Vipassana to emerge fully in one's mindfulness practice. That is something a lot of people argue with. My suspicion is that as we get to know one another better, we will find more understanding - and appreciation of the subtleties of language we each use.

Warm regards,

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:48:51 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

Re: Site Issues :)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »
Hi friends :)

I split this "issue" topic away from the original thread ramelec started and it was about his problem. The man is suffering at the moment alot and such posts will not benefit him but rather scare him away. This very "serious" attitude almost scared me away from this forum when I was just a beginner  :)

So please, in the future we try to split such posts immediately to Site Issues and leave the original thread intact especially if very new members are in question  :) THANK YOU ALL  :)
you are sweet hearts  ;D

Your very best friend Che Gue%%&/¤"buddha  8)

I am off to Norway now!

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »
At least this helps me understand how to make a neat quote. Not start with Reply, but start with Quote, and delete a lot. That means that for more quotes in my post, I would still use notepad to stitch it all together. O.K. (I have wondered, but never bothered to find out.)

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »
Or, Quardamon, you can also put whatever sentence(s) you want to quote between the tags "
". Just put the tags wherever you weant and it will go as quotes. That way you can avoid quoting whole posts and then deleting whatever you don't want. It can be pretty time-consuming if you are trying it on a big post.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?