Author Topic: Meditation and Illness  (Read 6703 times)

vipassana_n00b

Meditation and Illness
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
I've had a really strong cold/virus for the past week or so and therefore I have not meditated during this period due to a blocked nose/coughing etc. For people who meditate more regularly and for longer than I have- do you continue to meditate when ill, and do you sit and meditate or lay down? Thanks

Namaste

Re: Meditation and Illness
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
In the same situation.  I've been leaning on a wall to avoid sitting dizziness.  I don't know why someone shouldn't meditate while ill.

Morning Dew

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »
I didnt get flu/cold not even once this year thanks to Matthews advice on taking D3 vitamin. I take 6000 IU per day every day and as soon i feel some cold simptoms i start taking 8000IU per day for 2-3 days and the simptoms disapear :)

Che

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
I feel less sick at the moment I practice. If I feel too ill to sit, I might do body-scanning while lying. (Which does not feel as a meditation to me.) Or I might not meditate or scan, and just allow the process of the illness to have its way.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »
I don't get ill often, maybe once every 2 years, but at the same time I fight off a few colds / flus each season. I find it very helpful not to think of the onset of symptoms as 'getting sick', but rather an immune response that is fighting me 'getting sick'. It is a mental state I get myself into, I believe it helps my body fight if I don't surrender to the word 'sick'. My body fights, so I fight as well. Even when it's been a week and I'm coughing, I choose to say it's a fight.

love

andy

ps get well soon!! (and don't do it again...)  :P ;D
getting it done

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
I don't get ill often, maybe once every 2 years, but at the same time I fight off a few colds / flus each season. I find it very helpful not to think of the onset of symptoms as 'getting sick', but rather an immune response that is fighting me 'getting sick'. .......

Actually the "flu season" only exists because of another season called winter which leads to a bodily season best described as "Severe Clinically Deficient Vitamin D3 Season".

From October to end March (in the UK or anywhere above the 50th parallel) your body can not make Vitamin D3. After October you are running on the reserves stored in your fat. Vitamin D3 does not only regulate every major factor of the immune system but is involved in turning on and off around 10% of the human Genome. It's a very important Vitamin that most people are deficient in.

90% of people of colour and 60% of Caucasians in Britain are Vit D deficient because of modern lifestyle and associated factors.

The only way to ensure sufficiency is to get regular moderate sun exposure in summer (30 minutes no shirt no sunscreen when the sun is up but not at midday - three or more times a week) and supplement with a high quality oil based Vit D3 supplement in winter. Don't burn your skin - best way to achieve this is to naturally expose your skin to the sun in a mild part of the day as early in the year as you can and build up your resistance. A 25(OH)D blood test will tell you if you are deficient, however, the doctor giving you the results is very unlikely to have a proper idea of what a healthy level is and will in most cases mis-advise you yours is fine when it's clinically deficient.

They used to think D3 was only related to Rickets. It is but it's also related to every major modern illness ... heart disease, cancer, diabetes, allergies, schizophrenia, depression, multiple sclerosis, parkinsons etc etc etc.

M
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
I'm with Matthew, but it can be more complicated in some cases.
Body is complex. If you lack of another substance that is essential, D3 won't compensate it. It's like a car. Overfilling it with fuel won't compensate lack of oil. Only as an example: nearly everybody knows about the importance of Vitamin C, still most people have periods of low Vitamin C several times a day (since it cannot be stored by the body).

... sorry, children are calling me. Metta!
anicca

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
Wow, cool post Matthew.

I get plenty of sun, but my wife is black, so I will tell her about this.

love

andy
getting it done

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
Andy,

Obviously the seasonal info is reversed for those of you in the southern hemisphere.

Here is a video on the subject and a chart of disease prevention by blood serum levels, as well as a basic powerpoint I use at health events:

Vitamin D and Health – The Real Story

This will give you a better idea of healthy levels than most doctors. Clearly from the chart somewhere in the 70 - 80 ng/ml or 175 - 200 Nmol/L is ideal for prevention of major illness and cancer in most people. Incidentally this is the blood serum level found in people who live a natural lifestyle near the equator (i.e with the exception of South Africa where they lead a "modern" lifestyle - and have all the "modern" disease rates we have in the developed west).

~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »
I will probably say this a couple of hundred times  :angel:  BUT the fact is that neither me nor me wife got cold or flu this winter and we would usually get such at least 2 times every winter. I also got a bad eye infection (handling my dog and then scratching me eye) and after just a week of 10000IU per day some yellow crap came out of the eye and all was fine after that.

Good stuff to take together with the Multivitamins and plenty of water and green tea ... as well as motion and good nights sleep ... and healthy diet ... and daily meditation ... and ... and ... well there was something else that was very important but I dropped it somewhere  :-\

vipassana_n00b

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm now 'well' and back to my normal routine. Your information about Vitamin D3 was very interesting. Warm regards  :)

rideforever

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »
I am also interested in meditation options - I often have a blocked nose from swimming. 

My solution is to do Jala Neti (poor saline through my nose - yoga) every morning to remove mucus before my first sit.  It also seems possible to breath through the mouth (although I am no expert on this) and observe the breath either at the top of the lungs, or at the hara / navel / belly.

I have also done meditation lying down flat on my back which is one of the 4 traditional form (sitting/standing/lying/walking).  The danger is falling asleep but if you are committed you will not - just focus on the in-breath more to keep awake.

I sometimes do a meditation from the Essenes where I lie on the floor in darkness and breath in the darkness of the universe into my open eyes.  It's scarry at first but the soothing darkness enters you.

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
Hey RF. I also have had to work with a stuffed nose at different times in my practice.  I'm actually quite sensitive to dust, and used to have sinus infections nearly every month. However, my life has radically improved since using something like a neti pot (it's a bottle that you squeeze.  Produced by NeilMed). I basically never have sinus problems, and no longer have to take claritin everyday. it's been awesome.

Personally, I find it helps to do it in the evening before I go to sleep (everyday like brushing my teeth). I find that I can breathe just fine in the morning.

As for meditation, if I can't breathe through my nose, I often simply just bring my awareness to sensations, and make that my entire practice (ie, body scanning). If I want to observe my respiration, then I usually watch the abdomen or any where else the breath is prominent. And of course, there is always whole body breathing.  :)

As for lying down meditation, I sometimes find it quite challenging.  As you say, it takes a strong determination. I find that on retreat, I can usually meditate for extended periods lying down, but my concentration is much stronger. In daily life, I find it helps to sit first, until my mind is settled, and my awareness stable, and then I can effectively meditate lying down.

Metta,
KN
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.