Author Topic: Do you need a teacher ?  (Read 4697 times)

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
Do you need a teacher ?
« on: December 30, 2007, 12:20:05 PM »
In his book "Eight Mindful steps to happiness" Bhante Gunaratana recommended finding a good teacher
who can guide your practice and help you make the lifestyle changes necessary to support it.
I am wondering, if I follow a Dhammic life, Practice awareness on and off the cushion and join a Sangha
do I really need a teacher to help me reach my final goal of liberation? :-\
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Do you need a teacher ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »
The Buddha didn't. The Buddha said his Dhamma would not remain uncorrupted after 500 years ... so all the "unbroken lineages" one hears of are not teaching his teachings (as is lineage against them anyway - he refused to appoint a successor). However, many people swear by it. I think it can be very helpful at times and at other times many people become devoted to their teacher (and lack mindfulness as a result because devotion is habit forming).

It's a bit of a minefield this one. If you meet someone who seems very highly realised and whose behaviour and words are consistent with this then you can probably learn something from them. Don't just go looking for one because you think you should. There is also the point that meeting with a real physical sangha will usually bring you into contact with a teacher or two.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:53:01 PM »
Hm, without my "teacher" I wouldn't have found out today that I was wrong towards Pamojjam ... but you can't just go out there and find yourself a teacher. The teacher will find you. (I keep telling her that I don't trust her blindly ... "examine your teacher all the time, but without distrust" ... and she gets angry if I call her "my teacher")

I had a time when I dashed through India searching for a Guru. One of my candidates politely showed me the door and told me: "If you look for a teacher, search him on your mat". I understand that now.

The truth is in us ... but sometimes we need a litle hint, don't we?

Metta, Stefan
anicca

Green Tara

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »
You are lucky to have your teacher, Stefan, even if she doesn’t want to be called a teacher.  ???
I guess inside of me there is a little girl who would like to find a teacher who knows it all, and can figure it out for her and give her a manual called “step by step how to walk the path and get over all the obstacles” because at times it is very painful to think for herself. I know that is not the way and I know there is also in me a mature woman who wouldn’t – with awareness- follow blindly under any circumstances. I just can’t help feeling this way when things get tough.
Having said that, in this forum I have met some very good teachers.
Even if they don’t know it or they don’t want to be called that.

metta to you, your teacher and the teachers I have yet to encounter
Tara
 :)
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:52 AM »
I guess inside of me there is a little girl who would like to find a teacher who knows it all, and can figure it out for her and give her a manual called “step by step how to walk the path and get over all the obstacles” because at times it is very painful to think for herself.

She is your teacher. She knows it all. Learning how to listen to her is your current lesson. That's the basic lesson of the Buddha - listen to that which is inside of you. Same as Christ ("Know thyself", "The kingdom of heaven is wthin", etc) - and all the other true masters.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Green Tara

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »
The mature woman says,
yes of course you are right. That what I am doing most of the time.
The little girl says,
I know, I know, but my legs are very little and sometimes I just need someone to carry me on the path.
Gosh, I sound like I suffer from multi-personality disorder.  :o

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
Schizophrenia is a psychic disorder.
Monophrenia is an even worse psychic disorder.

Multiple-choice-personality is regular.

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  8) & Metta, all the Stefans
anicca

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »
Well said stefan. We all suffer from multiple personality disorder. Only some don't know it. You aren't the same person when making love to your partner as you are when buying a pound of bananas in the shop.

I hope ;)

The little girl needs a little excercise from the sound of it Tara  :)

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
my legs are very little and sometimes I just need someone to carry me on the path

well, that's what the mature woman is for ... carrying the inner child ...

Metta, Stefan
anicca

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »
I wish I had an inner child, it sounds easier than this inner teenager I'm constantly cleaning up after!   ;D
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Green Tara

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 08:50:32 PM »
I wish I had an inner child, it sounds easier than this inner teenager I'm constantly cleaning up after!   ;D

lol, Joe I feel better already thank you. :)

well, that's what the mature woman is for ... carrying the inner child ...

aaaaaaaaah well said Stefan.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »
The mature woman says,
yes of course you are right. That what I am doing most of the time.
The little girl says,
I know, I know, but my legs are very little and sometimes I just need someone to carry me on the path.
Gosh, I sound like I suffer from multi-personality disorder.  :o

"We're one, but we're not the same
We get to
carry each other
carry each other
One"

From the U2 song "One" ... however I prefer Johnny Cash's version .... not sure if this is it til I get to the internet cafe this afternoon:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rhoqx9QqopQ

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:17:05 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »
YUP thats the one !