Author Topic: Meditation and mindfulness  (Read 2070 times)

dpwell

Meditation and mindfulness
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »
Hi

New to this forum and I have a question.

I don't meditate much, but I do attempt to practice mindfulness. I have an alarm which goes off every 10 or 15 minutes and reminds me to stay present. If one stays present in ones daily activities, is this the equivalent of meditation? Is this meditation? Is there a difference between mindfully watching your breath in meditation practice, and mindfully doing the dishes? I hear a lot about the benefits of meditation and the positive neuro-plastic changes it can make. Can mindfulness in activities accomplish the same thing?

thanks for your thoughts,
David

redalert

Re: Meditation and mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
   welcome to the forum dpwell,
   present moment is a very deep subject, there are many degrees of presence. One may say that everything we see with the human eye is the past, that the events leading to sight have already occured and we missed them. With formal seated meditation we attempt to probe deeper into the workings of the mind and body and have a look at this process with a different set of eyes. For this I recommend seeking out a proper teacher in a style of meditation that agrees with you, there are lots of different techniques (paths), but every technique that teaches morality, concentration, and wisdom as there base will converge at the same point(liberation). You can start your practice by observing the 5 precepts
1. abstain from killing living beings
2. abstain from stealing
3. abstain from sexual misconduct
4. abstain from telling lies
5. abstain from taking intoxicants
practicing these alone have had wonderful effects in my quality of life, and this will lead to improved concentration which will lead to liberative wisdom.
metta

Billymac629

• Bill
  • Everything rises and everything falls away
    • Breath and Satipatthana
    • mindfully observing
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:32:42 AM »
Hi David,
I have an alarm which goes off every 10 or 15 minutes and reminds me to stay present. If one stays present in ones daily activities, is this the equivalent of meditation? Is this meditation?

Staying present with what is happen in the "now" is a form of meditation.  You might like teacher Thich Nhat Hanh's practices of mindful living. 

Is there a difference between mindfully watching your breath in meditation practice, and mindfully doing the dishes?
I would say watching ones breath is a different object of meditation, but not so much a "different" meditation.  Some incorporate observing the breath while doing their daily activities to help with mindfulness.

I hear a lot about the benefits of meditation and the positive neuro-plastic changes it can make. Can mindfulness in activities accomplish the same thing?
According to some studies out there, yes mindfulness in activites accomplishes these results.

with metta

Billy  :)
Nothing in this world is to be clung to as I, me, or mine...

Falkov

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
Just like play tennis, for example, you can pick up tennis racket and hit against the wall or hit w/ someone back and forth.   That in itself is playing tennis, which you can benefit from exercising, getting in shape, getting stronger, etc....   However, it is important that you seek a teacher for some basic instructions, at least you know that you will do it right and won't hurt yourself. 

Same w/ (mindfulness) meditation, a guide or a teacher can show the way- so you won't get lost in a mind field.     To have a clear mindfulness (Sati), you need certain (Samadhi) or concentration.  But you don't want to just meditate/ concentrate- cause you will simply sit like a stone, instead of acknowledging your breathing, feeling, sensing (state of mind), hearing, thinking- and eventually body movement/mind.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:50:53 PM by Falkov »

dpwell

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:22:58 AM »
thanks for the interesting replies.