Author Topic: Forget about Enlightenment... lolwut?  (Read 11126 times)

Morning Dew

Re: Forget about Enlightenment... lolwut?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
If anything I have written myself has come across like this, I apologize to anyone who took it that way.

No, please! It is mine to apologize. I am sorry for conversing the way I converse, honestly now  :) Sorry
My wife hates this side of me and she too tells me many times that I am patronising... she is very sensitive though  :(

nibs,

Please accept my assurance Che is not being condescending - it's his style which is very much to use humour.
.........     ...........
Don't fret, take it easy. The underlying principal of vipassanaforum.net is friendly and supportive communication.

Warmly,

Matthew

Yes yes, Matthew is right.

Sorry for messing things up ... oops I did it again  :-[

ivana

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
nibs,
 The underlying principal of vipassanaforum.net is friendly and supportive communication.

Matthew

Hi Matthew
I thought here is unfriendly and nosupportive communication. I thank you for let me know that it is opposite.
Ivana ;D

ivana

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 07:19:17 PM »
nibs,
 The underlying principal of vipassanaforum.net is friendly and supportive communication.

Matthew

Hi Matthew
I thought here is unfriendly and nosupportive communication. I thank you for let me know that it is opposite.
Ivana ;D

I am just sitting at my desk despite it is time to meditation. I think that for me could be best a reatreat for all my life.
There is clear time to eat, to sleap, to mediate and no internet, no mobile, no books and no vipassanforum.

Morning Dew

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »
I am just sitting at my desk despite it is time to meditation. I think that for me could be best a reatreat for all my life.
There is clear time to eat, to sleap, to mediate and no internet, no mobile, no books and no vipassanforum.

Ivana my friend  :) meditation is not to be used as an escape from your life as it is at this very time, but to actualy face your life as it is.
And even if you (the self) are trying to escape the life into meditation retreats be aware of it and see it as it is without clinging to that feeling. It is easy being served by others, and following a rutine set by others, it is pritty much like the army  ;D  that is certainly not living if you ask me.
No need for decision making. Very secure etc ... this is NOT meditation. Meditation is the oposite, facing one self with the very fears we are made from, facing the confused little self, in a calm relaxed minfully awake manner knowing that all things are passing and so will this faze of yours I am sure  :)

I am just sitting at my desk despite it is time to meditation.

Do not beat your self over it and certainly try to see/notice whether you are developing a rigid atitude towards your practice like "I MUST meditate or its a catastrophy!!!" rather make it understanding and soft like "Meditation is doing me good and my mind seems to calm down alot making my off the cushion life more balanced"  :)  and "I understand my ego-self feels threatened by practising alone but this too shall pass and the egoself will calm down"  :)

Sleep on it tonight and then have a nice morning meditation.

Good night now.

Che

soma

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »
It is easy being served by others, and following a rutine set by others, it is pritty much like the army  ;D  that is certainly not living if you ask me.
No need for decision making. Very secure etc ... this is NOT meditation. Meditation is the oposite,

Well... I think that anyone having actually done a retreat can tell you that it is not an easy, pleasant experience most of the time and a really lousy way of not having to face the ego self.  ;D

A better way to escape the ego self is to dull yourself in front of the TV or in a bar - that is why there are bars everywhere and everyone has a TV - they are not going to meditation retreats  ;)

Let us find out this summer - you just arranged a meditation retreat, remember ?  :P

friendly,

soma

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
nibs,

Matthew

Hi Matthew
Ivana ;D

Ivana,

Don't know if you are joking - which concerns me. ???

Warm regards,

Matthew.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Alexanderjohn

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »
What is meditation?

It is interesting responding through this. There is none of the visual interconnectedness of a face to face conversation. The gestures, mannerisms etc aren't there to give a real idea of exactly what is meant, it instantly exposes where your thoughts are coming from when you interpret or misinterpret something. Wait.. is there such thing as interpreting and misinterpreting? There must be, right.  ;)

Hi Matthew
Ivana Grin

Made me chuckle Ivana :D

This is where I usually realise I'm having a little ego-party on my reply and cancel it because it doesn't seem like it'll help anyone. Who knows, wherever there is ego there is always ego-lessness too right? Even if I do not feel that I am experiencing it. Which is probably why I ever suffer, right?  :)

Enlightenment, awakening, just very lovely ideas. But what is the point of ideas but to encapsulate a shallow reflection of reality. Why does enlightenment matter? if there is a little ego-sting from that question then you know where you're at  ;D

Look at the thought "time to meditate". Pick at it, pull it apart. Where is time? What is meditate?

Having far too much fun,
Alex

Jeeprs

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 06:57:27 AM »
well, that said, sadhana is important. Sadhana, discipline, is 'the means of accomplishment'. Without sadhana, nothing is accomplished. One of the games ego plays is to pretend that it knows that it doesn't really exist, therefore there is no need to commit to sadhana, because we're already enlightened, right?

I think the Soto Zen viewpoint is instructive. We don't sit 'in order to...'. We don't sit 'to become....'. Sitting is already enlightenment, to sit in zazen is the goal of the practice. But if you read any of their teachings - Zen Mind, Beginners Mind is the classic Western Soto Zen text - they are nevertheless very meticulous about every aspect of the discipline - ritual, chanting, bowing, and every part of it is done very properly. I visited the San Francisco Zen Centre briefly in 2009, and it runs like clockwork, with set times for every session starting with the 5:00 am sit.

'Sit' Suzuki-roshi would say -  'but without any gaining idea'.

ivana

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »
Sleep on it tonight and then have a nice morning meditation.

Good night now.

Che

Dear Che it was kind reply. But what I really need is a discipline.
Take care

ivana

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »
It is easy being served by others, and following a rutine set by others, it is pritty much like the army  ;D  that is certainly not living if you ask me.
No need for decision making. Very secure etc ... this is NOT meditation. Meditation is the oposite,

Well... I think that anyone having actually done a retreat can tell you that it is not an easy, pleasant experience most of the time and a really lousy way of not having to face the ego self.  ;D

A better way to escape the ego self is to dull yourself in front of the TV or in a bar - that is why there are bars everywhere and everyone has a TV - they are not going to meditation retreats  ;)

Let us find out this summer - you just arranged a meditation retreat, remember ?  :P

friendly,

soma

Soma
I has to agree that if Che is writing about easy retreat because there is life as in army it is not all reality. Of course there was served food and now I have to sort my food by myself.
Take care
Ivana

ivana

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »
nibs,

Matthew

Hi Matthew
Ivana ;D

Ivana,

Don't know if you are joking - which concerns me. ???

Warm regards,

Matthew.
Matthew
I was joking. It is fine to blame somebody other if you do not have discipline.
Take care
Ivana

ivana

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »
well, that said, sadhana is important.
'Sit' Suzuki-roshi would say -  'but without any gaining idea'.

Dear Jeep
You wrote the best response.
Have a nice day
Ivana

ivana

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »
What is meditation?

It is interesting responding through this. There is none of the visual interconnectedness of a face to face conversation. The gestures, mannerisms etc aren't there to give a real idea of exactly what is meant, it instantly exposes where your thoughts are coming from when you interpret or misinterpret something. Wait.. is there such thing as interpreting and misinterpreting? There must be, right.  ;)

Hi Matthew
Ivana Grin

Made me chuckle Ivana :D

This is where I usually realise I'm having a little ego-party on my reply and cancel it because it doesn't seem like it'll help anyone. Who knows, wherever there is ego there is always ego-lessness too right? Even if I do not feel that I am experiencing it. Which is probably why I ever suffer, right?  :)

Enlightenment, awakening, just very lovely ideas. But what is the point of ideas but to encapsulate a shallow reflection of reality. Why does enlightenment matter? if there is a little ego-sting from that question then you know where you're at  ;D

Look at the thought "time to meditate". Pick at it, pull it apart. Where is time? What is meditate?

Having far too much fun,
Alex

Dear Alex
I thank you for your reply, time is now.
About if you feel that your response did not help to anyone do not give up.
Take care
Ivana

soma

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Oh, how difficult it is to communicate in text, and in a language other than your own .
It is like having a sms conversation with your girlfriend - it sure takes you in a downward spiral straight to the 1st dukkha nana ;D

Maybe will cinsider an intensive english course rerteat  :D

ps. 'just arranged' not as in 'only arranged' but something like 'recently arranged' or 'are just about to'.

Jeeprs

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
Dear Ivana

Why, thankyou.  :)

jeeprs

Morning Dew

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »
....  >:(

..... I hate my father ....

----------- >:(

ivana

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
....  >:(

..... I hate my father ....

----------- >:(

Do you need to blame somebody? Try a standing meditation.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
why did this thread stop , just when it may have answered the question?

love

andy
getting it done

chintan

• Maun
    • Vipassana - Goenka
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »
Sorry fellas,
Gonna have to disagree with you here.
Thanissaro Bhikkhu, back me up,  bhante!

http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/CrossIndexed/Published/Meditation4/080212%20The%20Path%20Has%20a%20Goal.pdf

I got my answer from this pdf nibs pointed to. Thanks mate.