Author Topic: Meditation prevents aging, disease and cancer.  (Read 3670 times)

budo

Meditation prevents aging, disease and cancer.
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:04:54 AM »
Reduction of stress encourages the growth of telomere, which allows cells to continue dividing. Our cells divide and grow, a telomere – a small DNA cap at the end of each chromosome - protects our dna from damage. The enzyme Telomerase, repairs the telomeres and ‘keeps DNA young'.

Several new telomerase-based drugs have entered Phase II and III clinical trials. And there is a very real race for the ultimate anti-aging pill.

"Current research reveals stressed people have shorter telomeres. Shorter telomeres appear to predispose us to disease and cancer and lead to shorter lives. Yet astonishingly, it has been discovered meditation appears to stall the process."

source: http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyeshowcase/2010/immortal/

Another thing to note, is Epigenetics, the layer that controls your genes, control which genes to turn on or off. A healthy lifestyle turns on the good genes and turns off the bad genes which helps defeat disease. Also, your gene activation combination was passed down to you by your parents and you will pass it on to your kids. This means if your parents smoked and had a bad life style, a lot of their bad genes were activated resulting in disease, this configuration was passed on to you, however if you exercise and eat well, you can deactivate those bad genes and turn on the good genes and pass that on to your children. You could reverse the damage caused by your family tree.

source: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genes/issa.html

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Meditation prevents aging, disease and cancer.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:18 AM »
Meditate more, live more! :) Nice one. So many scientific studies confirm many benefits of meditation. Sometime back, I came across another research paper which confirms that daily meditation of minimum 40 minutes, increases the grey matter in our brains.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:15:02 AM »
Really cool post, budo.
I like to think in terms of immortality, i.e. not 'acting my age' and not despising youth or old age. To quote jesus, 'with the measure you judge, you will be judged' I think in buddhist nomenclature it is 'the immediate karmic effect'. Perhaps said otherwise as 'in the moment you think, speak, and or act, in that moment you become/ are becoming that very thing'.

so if meditation is beneficial, then how? I would say that by identifying with something so profound as 'peace/tranquility/bliss' creates the immediate benefit of BEING 'peace/tranqility/bliss' not merely possessing it or experiencing it.

I like the way George Lucas protrays this in his star wars film,in the scene when luke takes his gun and sword to a place 'strong in the dark side' ;he indeed mets what he brought with him; fear.

I think everyday thoughts, though not meditation as such, have the accumulative effect of recreating what we expect to see, in this case the inevitability of aging and disease. It is a big reason I choose not to subscribe to "this world is fallen" or samsara is "bad" type thoughts.

I will have whatever I bring with Me...

love

Andy

getting it done

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
Andy,

It's not about identifying with peace/tranquillity/bliss, except in the very earliest stages. It is about experiencing those things. Identifying with them may help you experience them but it is this experiential knowledge that is the real transformational power.

Meditation increases telomere length and grey matter density in certain areas of the brain, and clears the body's hormonal systems of long term imbalances. it is a physiological process, not merely a mental one, hence the focus on the body as you breathe in calm abiding meditation.

And yes you are absolutely right. Though meditation is important it's called practice for a reason - what happens off the cushion is where it counts, in your thoughts, words and action.

Warm regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jhana4

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
I can believe meditation helps people stay healthier longer.

I remember as a student in the 1990s I went to a huge gathering to see Thich Nhat Hanh speak.   He was sitting on stage with the other monks in no special order so I had way of knowing it was him before he started speaking.   He looked like he was in his late 20s.  I later learned he was at least in his mid 50s at the time.

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:35:07 PM »
Yes, that is some fascinating stuff, Budo! Thanks for posting. Considering the close connection between mental and physical phenomena, it seems only natural that positive physiological effects should come from meditation.

But somehow I suspect that no matter how much I meditate, old age, sickness, and death will still come for me.  They are our "heavenly messengers" after all.  ;)

With metta,
KN
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:32:48 AM »
You might get hit by a bus KN and just suffer death :)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~