Author Topic: Anapanasati Sutta  (Read 4011 times)

thelastrich

Anapanasati Sutta
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »
I'm just a starter, but i really found this book interesting, complete and easy to follow.
I didn't read much about meditation, but for what I read this is the best.

It's free download from here:
http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/books.htm

Maybe now some people with more knowledge than me, will suggest me something I should read  ;D
I would appreciate it.

Morning Dew

Re: Anapanasati Sutta
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Maybe now some people with more knowledge than me, will suggest me something I should read

First of all welcome to this community my friend  :)
Second of all, try less reading and more sitting and meditating.

Reading only gives birth to more ideas. Why cluttering more a mind that is already clogged.
But if you need something to inspire you, to explain the basics read this book by Krishnamurti called Freedom from the Known    And after you have read it, forgett about it and try to establish a steady day to day practise, which is the actual thing that matters.

Once again welcome aboard my friend  :)

Che

thelastrich

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »
I was right, I needed some advise  ;D
Thank you.

And how many time do you recommend to meditate at the beginning? Just the time I feel comfortable? At least 15 minutes? 30? 45?

soma

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
And how many time do you recommend to meditate at the beginning? Just the time I feel comfortable? At least 15 minutes? 30? 45?

If you can sit for 30 minutes, maybe twice a day, you have a very good practice going.
If you have the time, just sit down without a pre-set time and see how long your ideal sit is.
Of course, if you sit every day for any length of time, you got a good practice going.

And thanks for the link - good one  :)

Morning Dew

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:54:57 PM »
As soma suggested, the best is to see for your self how much is not too much. Be gentle with your self, start short sessions and then incerase with time, when it feels right.
The important thing is to practice daily even for only 15 minutes a day. Too long meditation sessions can be overwhelming in the beggining and this can put people off from meditating, therefore try to take it slow, take it easy  :)

Meditation is not about putting one self into agony but relaxing the mind and body and notecing all that is taking place in the mind without clinging to it nor judging it, let it be as it is and return back to breathing in realaxing the whole body and breathing out relaxing the whole body and being aware of all the body sensations without conceptualising.

Start sitting and you will know of what we are talking about  ;D  meditation is not something that can be explained intelectualy realy but one is to actualy do it and find the right way which works well for you.

Give it a try for example 1 month of daily Shamatha and see how it suits you. Please keep us updated  :) you can journal your path in this forum if you want (I journal mine).

Friendly Che