Author Topic: Small change to forum  (Read 3003 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Small change to forum
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »
If you have just joined and made only a few posts you can no longer see the memberlist or other's profiles .. this is to stop harvesting emails by spambots ... once you have posted a few times it opens up :) Sorry for any inconvenience to new members with less than 5 posts.

I may have broken something in the attempt so if anyone can no longer do something they used to do .... you know where I am......

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:48:48 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: Small change to forum
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:09:09 AM »
I may have broken something in the attempt so if anyone can no longer do something they used to do ...
yes there's a bug ... my spambots don't work properly any more ... now I have to program them to post five times before harvesting ... can't you fix that please?  ;D ;D
anicca

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
Damn it's fine having you back on the boards ;D of course I can, just for you ...
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
Damn it's fine having you back on the boards ;D
thanks for making me blush ...  :)
but I never left ... having no time to talk or nothing to say for a while doesn't mean I'm gone
anicca

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:42:07 AM »
:)

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »
If you have just joined and made only a few posts you can no longer see the memberlist or other's profiles .. this is to stop harvesting emails by spambots ... once you have posted a few times it opens up
That's a clever move, Matthew. I wish there were some software to assess the quality of posts a member makes, so as to determine whether he/she is eligible for further privileges.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Morning Dew

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
Lets not get carried away. All these troll or spam like people are people who suffer ... But do ban them anyway  ;D

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
I wish there were some software to assess the quality of posts a member makes, ...

:o I'd be identified as a spybot every second week!
anicca

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:22 PM »
If you have just joined and made only a few posts you can no longer see the memberlist or other's profiles .. this is to stop harvesting emails by spambots ... once you have posted a few times it opens up
That's a clever move, Matthew. I wish there were some software to assess the quality of posts a member makes, so as to determine whether he/she is eligible for further privileges.

Vivek,

Thanks. It made sense.

Regarding software for rating other members - there is - but I turned it off the day I built the forum and don't ever want to turn it on. The quality of posts is something we have to consider for ourselves. It is also an important part of the ethos of equality on this forum that we don't have any competitive spirit to "score points" as far as we are able. That is also why everyone has the same 5 stars - I tuned that system for equality too.

If/when the community gets to a size that the active posting group is nearing a natural limit in terms of critical mass/natural human interaction, then barriers will be raised - not to keep people out - but to keep things sane inside the walls and manageable outside.

Lets not get carried away. All these troll or spam like people are people who suffer ... But do ban them anyway  ;D

Che - Indeed: you probably noticed AERO has disappeared - well that really seemed to be going nowhere and if you want to read what he wrote he has posted it in other places. Most places no one even replied to him. At least we tried.

Warmly,

Matthew

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:56:13 AM »
Regarding software for rating other members - there is - but I turned it off the day I built the forum and don't ever want to turn it on. The quality of posts is something we have to consider for ourselves. It is also an important part of the ethos of equality on this forum that we don't have any competitive spirit to "score points" as far as we are able. That is also why everyone has the same 5 stars - I tuned that system for equality too.
Completely understand, Matthew.

I'd be identified as a spybot every second week!
Wouldn't want that to happen. :) Let's keep it simple.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?