Author Topic: Jhana/Samatha retreat ?  (Read 6861 times)

soma

Jhana/Samatha retreat ?
« on: January 10, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »
Anyone knows where they have long intensive retreats where they focus on developing jhana ?
Should be at least a 30 day retreat but more preferably a 60 or 90 day retreat.
If I am not mistaken I think that Matthew mentioned in some post that he did a 90 day samatha retreat once, is that correct Matthew ? Where was that and would that be a suitable course if jhana development is the goal ?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Jhana/Samatha retreat ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
Hi Soma,

No it was a 30 day retreat and not the right place to develop Jhana. Your practice is very grounded I understand but Jhana will come from the combination of relaxation, acceptance and concentration - if you retreat in any good quiet setting, and practice with equanimity and determination/discipline/shila - just don't chase it. And when/if it finds you - then be ready to let go - as we must let go of all arisings. Go beyond.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

budo

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:48:01 AM »
Developing Jhana is not just something that happens on the cushion.

You must overcome the five hindrances by practicing Sila (virtue), Panna (discernment) and Samadhi (concentration). Meditation helps develop Samadhi and Sati (mindfulness) but off the cushion you must practice the five precepts, and catch the lower fetters, defilements, and fermentations when they arise. Having removed the hindrances one will be able to obtain the first Jhana.

When you go about the world, and communicate with people, and make contact with objects (through the senses), be mindful of thoughts, feeling, and emotions that arise.

The five hindrances:
- Liking (Sensual Desire)
- Disliking (Ill-will)
- Drowsiness (Sloth and Torpor)
- Distraction (Restlessness and Remose)
- Doubt

The Fermentations:
- Sensuality (Desire to senses)
- Becoming (Trying to become something, be somewhere, be someone, this is becoming).
- Ignorance (Wrong view)

The defilements of the mind:
(1) Covetousness and unrighteous greed are a defilement of the mind; (2) ill will is a defilement of the mind; (3) anger is a defilement of the mind; (4) hostility...(5) denigration...(6) domineering...(7) envy...(8 ) jealousy...(9) hypocrisy...(10) fraud...(11) obstinacy...(12) presumption...(13) conceit...(14) arrogance...(15) vanity...(16) negligence

nibs

• The Path to Happiness
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »
If you want to kick start your jhana practice you can do so in the comfort of your own home. You'll need a calm mind to dvelop that calm abiding mind so if you have your sila kick in place and you ain't feeling guilty about life then try kasina practice. in my own experience it got me up to at least 2nd or 3rd jhana doing it 2 hours a day. Here are some instructions on what you could do

http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.com/2010/12/nicks-current-candle-flame-kasina.html

Just put a kasina object in front of you and stare at it for a period and see what happens to your concentration. You may find it jump through the roof.

sincerely,

nibs
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:08:52 AM by nibs »
"Awakening is like taking a satisfying dump." Some anonymous yogi

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
Developing Jhana is not just something that happens on the cushion.

You must overcome the five hindrances by practicing Sila (virtue), Panna (discernment) and Samadhi (concentration). Meditation helps develop Samadhi and Sati (mindfulness) but off the cushion you must practice the five precepts, and catch the lower fetters, defilements, and fermentations when they arise. Having removed the hindrances one will be able to obtain the first Jhana.

When you go about the world, and communicate with people, and make contact with objects (through the senses), be mindful of thoughts, feeling, and emotions that arise.

The five hindrances:
- Liking (Sensual Desire)
- Disliking (Ill-will)
- Drowsiness (Sloth and Torpor)
- Distraction (Restlessness and Remose)
- Doubt

The Fermentations:
- Sensuality (Desire to senses)
- Becoming (Trying to become something, be somewhere, be someone, this is becoming).
- Ignorance (Wrong view)

The defilements of the mind:
(1) Covetousness and unrighteous greed are a defilement of the mind; (2) ill will is a defilement of the mind; (3) anger is a defilement of the mind; (4) hostility...(5) denigration...(6) domineering...(7) envy...(8 ) jealousy...(9) hypocrisy...(10) fraud...(11) obstinacy...(12) presumption...(13) conceit...(14) arrogance...(15) vanity...(16) negligence

Thanks budo for putting it so compactly.

CP
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

soma

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions but from the replies and from rereading my post it is clear that I phrased my question really poorly, giving emphasis to developing jhana rather than asking for a really good retreat-center where one can practice samatha and have a face-to-face meeting with a really good teacher/coach who can give some feedback and so on.

I am practicing several hours a day at home and it does give good results but just coming back from a 10 day retreat a few days ago I re-realised how powerful the retreat context is and how it really deepens and boosts the practice and since I decided to devote this year to samatha I would like to also do a samatha retreat. Probably wont find time to do 90 days but certainly 30 days.
So please tell me if you hear - or know of such a place - it is hard to evaluate and find centers through the net and I prefer to get tips and advice from you guys.

p.s. no chasing or clinging - I promise - just devotion to practice and determination, thats all. d.s.

thanks

Morning Dew

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
flame kasina photo
This one cracked me up LoL  ;D ;D ;D

Good man soma.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:27:25 PM by Che Guebuddha »

Matthew

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:03 PM »
Soma,

Changed my mind.

http://programmes.dechencholing.org/english/763

The teacher, David Hope, is very good. One month retreat.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

soma

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 05:32:22 AM »
@ Che Gebuddha :

Yeah, the picture can make a nice Merry Christmas greetings card :)

@ Matthew :

I am glad you changed your mind - this looks like a really good place and the retreat falls right into my time for vacation as well.
Have heard good things about shambala retreats.
I will seriously consider this centre.
Thank you

soma

Matthew

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 05:48:19 AM »
If you want to do it make a decision before too long as their summer Dathun's fill up. (though there is a wait list too) - you could phone/email and inquire if many spaces remain and when you might need to commit. 30% deposit secures a place and the centre is most wonderful.

Like everything it's down to you what you get/give to it - but Shambhala do create a very good container for this kind of retreat.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:50:31 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »
This is a bit of a punt,  it is a response to someone elses question but it applies precisely for your post.....  Alan Wallaces retreat center is in Thailand....

Hello ....
I have a suggestion .....  B. Alan Wallace is a exceedingly well trained and experienced instructor of Shamatha practice ...  the direct bee line to samadhi  and dhyanas....  Trained by the Dalai Lama himself in this practice with support from dozens of other Tibetan lineage holders over four decades.

When I listened and followed his rather exacting and nuanced entry level instruction for shamatha practice I began to have profound and life changing experiences immediately.   First weekend.  After two years of moderate and sincere effort my life will never be the same.   Dharma practice became far more enriching than I ever thought it could be from being around all previous teachers.

The technique is exceedingly simple though not always easy.  I think its in print in a few paragraphs on his website.

http://www.sbinstitute.com/

If you want more detail please feel free to contact me for some chit chat.

Best
John

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not post emails in public boards
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:10:25 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »