Author Topic: Meditating with my dog  (Read 6249 times)

chintan

• Maun
    • Vipassana - Goenka
Meditating with my dog
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »
Whenever I sit down to meditate my dog loves to come and lie down next to the cushion.. this is expected of course and I feel nice. But then when he hears some dog barking outside (I live in a second floor house) or some kids making ruckus on the street he loves to join in and starts barking..  When its 25 minutes in my sitting my heart skips two three beats and I have to start over..

If I banish him from the room he is at the door scratching / whimpering  :).. What do I do.

Any suggestions??

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Meditating with my dog
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:20:34 PM »
Take him to his bed or downstairs just before you start meditating. After that ignore him. If you have a regular schedule he will learn.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

ivana

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:52:08 AM »
 ;D Teach him to meditate! ;D

But if you are not success in two years please try advice of The Irreverent Buddhist

chintan

• Maun
    • Vipassana - Goenka
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:36 PM »
Ivana in two years I would know how to take his disturbances in my stride (hopefully).. will start with TIB's suggestion..

Morning Dew

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
This is what i do with my dog;

As soon he barks i imediately say tsssss and sit. As soon we make eye contact i say good boooooy. No barking in the house man you are the pack leader and there is not much to it.

I place a baby gate at the bed room door. He can see me and he lays down to relax while i meditate. If you think ur dog has too much energy then walk him longer every day and activate his mind. I let mine eat his whole lunch out of a wrinkled plastic cola bottle. It takes him 45 minutes to finish it. Afterwards he is wrecked. Time for my meditation behind the baby gate. He is NEVER alowed in our bedroom. Consistancy is the key.

Meditate when the dog is tired separated by the baby gate.

Friendly Che

nelcalb

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
Is the dog's name MARA?

Morning Dew

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
Mara! Funny you :)

Jokes on the side, dogs have needs and we owners have responsabilities to met those. Or if you are not up to it sell the dog.

You can also improve your loving kindness towards your dog. Understanding that he too suffers when separated from his pack (leader). Dogs are very clinging and ready to be conditioned.

Cats are more aware of what is going on and are self suficient, just like meditators are ;)

kidnovice

• Theravada: with nuts and bolts from Goenka-ji, and fine tuning from Thanissaro Bhikkhu
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »
Man, the whole time this thread has been up, I've been thinking, "Where is Che? How is he not posting on THIS thread?"  ;D

And then you write this:

I let mine eat his whole lunch out of a wrinkled plastic cola bottle. It takes him 45 minutes to finish it. Afterwards he is wrecked. Time for my meditation behind the baby gate.

That's just genius! Che, the dog-whisperer.
May we cultivate the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; the compassion to change the things we can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

chintan

• Maun
    • Vipassana - Goenka
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:06:18 AM »
Thanks for the practical suggestions Che.. our dog sleeps on our bed - so suddenly banishing him from the room will be difficult. But yes ensuring that he is tired after a long walk is doable, I have started firmly repeating NOOOOO when he barks - he quietens up but the barking bout recurs on a stimuli.

Barking is his expression which I don't want to ban - just that he should know that he is not supposed to bard when I am on the cushion. Wrinkled plastic bottle is a masterstroke but my wife is objecting to it.

joy

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
Now I am thinking about how one young prince of India left his palace in mid night silently!
Joy

Morning Dew

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
Tell your wife that dogs need to be activated mentally. Let them work for their food. My dog get even a wooden puzzle to solve to get to the food bits hidden under the puzzle tray. Let him work, it will mean less stress for the dog, happy mentally fullfiled dog :)

I am glad you like it KN :)

maybeiam

• Nature is a beautiful peace to be
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
after this all i have to say :
need a dog
Bless you

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Thanks for the practical suggestions Che.. our dog sleeps on our bed ....

This is not healthy for you or your dog. It is no surprise he will not leave you alone. He doesn't get that you are the pack leader. If he is a very old dog and soon to die then let it be. If not  then get him a bed and have him sleep in the kitchen or somewhere else.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »
Matthew he has a wife as I do and making the wife take this advice of yours will be hell of a thing to do. I was lucky to have made this decision before we got the dog otherwise the dog would sleep with us and the two cats on our bed  ::) ;D

Friendly

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »
Matthew he has a wife as I do and making the wife take this advice of yours will be hell of a thing to do. I was lucky to have made this decision before we got the dog otherwise the dog would sleep with us and the two cats on our bed  ::) ;D

Friendly

Then get a second bed for the man - leave the wife and the dog and never let the dog on new bed. Wife will soon decide if she is a person or a dog :D

jeepneyko

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
nice advice! a dog whisperer and a wife whisperer! hahaha!  :D