Author Topic: During meditation - point betwen eyebrows  (Read 4222 times)

cyklon

During meditation - point betwen eyebrows
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:00:44 AM »
Hi !

I'm new here. I tried to "google" my problem, but i didn't find any answer which satisfied me.
During meditation (focusing on breathing), after not a huge amount of time, it appears something like point or sth between my eyebrows. It feels like hm... a little electricity connected to this part of my head, and it is very natural (automatically), that my focus is going to this point, and as a result I'm loosing this point in "nose" part of my face. Also I feel a little bit like breathing by this "eyebrow point". Is this normal, good ? Is it wrong to take my fokus to this point, and going further basing on it? Should I try to return to point in my nostrils ?

Thank You for help ! :)

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: During meditation - point betwen eyebrows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
Hello Cyklon,

Sounds as if your third eye is active. It is nice, that you can breath through it. The third eye is one of the seven (or more) chackra's. In my view, one would get a disbalance by bringing much attention to this point between the eyes. Maybe it is time to stop keeping your attention to the nostrils, and you should start doing the body scan.
At any rate, if you are a bit exited that you get results from your practice, please recognise the exitement itself as something that is there, and do not go with the exitement. My concern with concentrating on the third eye would be, that one gets visions (spontaneous pictures) and would get lost in the visions. So, just take it easy. Even if you get visions.
I do not have experience with concentrating on the nostrils, but others on this forum have.

Peace and quiet to you, Cyklon,
And may you sit on your bum, not on your nose. ;)

Quardamon

Matty G

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:28:52 PM »
See if you can focus the electric charge into your enemies.

Just kidding of course.. But I'm quite curious about what you're feeling. I hope you can find the answer you seek.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:35:30 PM by Matty G »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
Hi !

I'm new here. I tried to "google" my problem, but i didn't find any answer which satisfied me.
During meditation (focusing on breathing), ..................

cyklon,

Describe what you mean by "focussing on breathing" in some great detail please. The actuality of your practice.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

cyklon

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »
I follow the instructions, which I got from the book written by Henepola Gunaratana. If I translate title from my language to english is something like "Vipassana in simple words".

My practice:
-sitting
-focusing on point between my nostrils, like... on the end of my nose
-if it's very hard to focus I count sometimes, like book says

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
cyklon,

Thank you for explaining. The English title of the book is "Mindfulness in Plain English".

My suggestion would be that you try follow whole body awareness and relaxation technique as described by the Buddha. Experiment for a couple of weeks and see how it is:

"Breathe in sensitive to the whole body, calming the whole body. Breathe out sensitive to the whole body, calming the whole body".

The awareness is on all bodily sensations as one breathes in and out - and with each in and out breath one purposely relaxes and calms the body. Thoughts are dealt with in the usual way, just let them be, use no force to suppress them but do not become them.

.... and don't worry about trying to develop concentration but just let it come of it's own.

Henepola's book is excellent but for many people in the modern world concentrating on the area he advises does not work so well.

Warmly, in the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
hi,

after hearing this i am curious now.

i also get these sensations in the exact center of my forehead. i wasnt giving any importance to it as it was also a kind of sensation but should i ?  ???

cyklon

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
thanks a lot !

after some time I will write my experiences :)

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »
sid, cling to nothing

nothing

nothing

at all

Matthew

nelcalb

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »
Hi Cycklon,

I had a quite similar experience. To me it was like a sharp needle on the same spot, when practicing Anapana.

I asked the assistant teacher about that. She said that next time I do the body scan, when I get there go deep on the needle, for a moment (as in any other part of the body), being ecuanimous. Then continue with the body scan and dont pay attention to that area till next time you get there.

As Irreverent says, "cling to nothing"...

Metta!
Nelcalb

jeepneyko

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
same goes to me..

and good thing i had a teacher before who often say to me, whenever i tell him that this or that experience happens: just let it go.. continue to breathe, continue to sit.... just let it go...

ok end of the consultation i would reply. hehehe