Author Topic: Levitating during meditation  (Read 10290 times)

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
Levitating during meditation
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:40:48 PM »
Two days ago during one of the sittings I felt levitated.
I didn’t feel it happening; just suddenly I was aware I wasn’t sitting on the cushion.
I didn’t open my eyes, first because I didn’t want to fall off and also because
 I knew I had to keep the awareness on the breath no matter what.
The feeling was amazing then after I finished and opened my eyes I was sitting on the cushion.
I asked my husband who was in the room all the time if he saw me levitating
and he said I am sorry but you didn’t move an inch.
 I was surprised then I thought if I am not my body and
 I felt levitated then I must have. Any of you had a similar experience?

"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Paul

Re: Levitating during meditation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:34 AM »
Tara, to answer your question no, I've never had that.  I wouldn't mind if I did, though.  :)

Green Tara

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
Paul, I just read about the subject this morning and they said it is as a result of chemical process thing that happen in the body during meditation and it has nothing to do with levitation.

I don't care, I levitated  8)
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Paul

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »
Tara you did!!! 

Mackthefinger

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 10:51:59 PM »
Not levitating, but has anyone else felt their spatial awareness changing?

Sometimes during meditation, it feels like my body has turned, usually about 90 degrees to my right.
Before I open my eyes, I'm sure I've changed position. In fact, my awareness snaps like an elastic band
so I'm looking straight ahead. Not unsettling at all, just odd.

Its only recently I've realised that my spatial awareness is pointing east.
If I firmly believed in reincarnation, I might even think I was previously a Muslim and was looking towards Mecca  :)

Now, I tend to face East when meditating, and it no longer happens.

ilikezen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:37:16 AM »
Some days I'll find my meditations so powerfully moving that I forget about the feeling of being in a body.  When I come out of the meditation I experience a slight amount of disorientation.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does amazing things happen in the following days.

Green Tara

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »
Sometimes during meditation, it feels like my body has turned, usually about 90 degrees to my right.
Before I open my eyes, I'm sure I've changed position. In fact, my awareness snaps like an elastic band

I remember once I was sitting and suddenly I felt my spin was twisted in the middle and I was leaning to the right side. At first I wanted to correct my posture and sit up straight but I knew I was sitting up right so I just kept my awareness on the breath. it wasn't painful but it was very uncomfortable, and it wasn’t easy to focus on the breath then suddenly the feeling of being twisted gone and  it never happened again.

Some days I'll find my meditations so powerfully moving that I forget about the feeling of being in a body.  When I come out of the meditation I experience a slight amount of disorientation.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does amazing things happen in the following days.

Welcome to our Sangha ilikezen,  :) :)

I often feel quite disorientated when I open my eyes and have to sit for few minutes to come around. My friend calls it landing back on earth.
Even when I get up I have to walk gently or I lose my balance, but that could be just from sitting for long time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:05:37 AM by Green Tara »

Flipasso

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »
I sometimes get something similar..
I usually meditate facing north with my head pointing up (obviously). And sometimes I feel like my body rotates 45degrees to the right and my head no longer points up it points upish rightish.
when i open my eyes i still feel for a while that i'm not straight (even though I know I am and actually am) and I gradually shift back to my real position.
Never left the ground though...

Neil123

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:33:36 AM »
yeah, i've had a similar feeling of 45 degree turn too, i just assumed it was some kind of posture problem, but i'm pretty sure i had been sitting comfortably erect the whole time

i've also felt waves of energy going from head to toe for brief periods that have been extremely relaxing, and after they end i realize that my concentration and awareness of my body have been very astute.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:17:15 AM »
Didn't experience levitation or the 45 degree twist, but different postures. Normally I meditate with my hands on my knees, but once I felt-saw-experienced myself with my hands cupped under my chin. It was amazing because at this moment it was 100% reality although I remembered how I sat before entering my dreambody (castaneda lingo ...), back in the eyes-open-land and my hands lying on my knees. For something like a milisecond I was aware of both postures at the same time, and then I had to get out & have some fresh air ...

No levitation? hah, I learned the trick by David Blaine, and at least I can bamboozle the children  :D

Metta & Fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-AQSR2gUKc&feature=related

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:21:51 AM by stefan »
anicca

Flipasso

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
For something like a milisecond I was aware of both postures at the same time, and then I had to get out & have some fresh air ...
Had that 2 body feeling in the lucid dreaming context. While falling asleep or waking up, it has happened sometimes. It's amazing...

Green Tara

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
That is what Gunaratana said about all kind of varied phenomena you might experience in meditation.
“As relaxation sets in, the nervous system simply begins to pass sensory signals more efficiently, large amounts of previously blocked sensory data can pour through, giving rise to all kinds of unique sensations. It doesn't signify anything in particular, It is just sensation. So simply employ the normal technique. Watch it come up and watch it pass away. Don't get involved”.

The thing is, it didn’t feel like just sensation, I couldn’t feel the ground underneath me and believe me I am so often aware of sitting on the ground even after I get up (ooooh).

tara
 :)

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
The thing is, it didn’t feel like just sensation, I couldn’t feel the ground underneath me (...)

wether you levitated or had contact with your dream body, or maybe you gazed into the seventh heaven or healed somebody with your mindpower or visited another planet or walked through a wall --- it's all "just" sensations. The sensations we experience are sometimes breathtaking, sometimes boring - but that's only the outer quality of a sensation, not it's nature (rising sankharas). And the sensations that are breathtaking are the dangerous ones, somehow ... craving starts (longing for miracles), or aversion, the other side of the coin (arising out of fear from the unexpected). So Gunaratana is absolutely right in his warning: stay equanimous. just watch the sensation. don't get involved. that's the only state of mind where the sensations are really enjoyable, I believe.

(...)and believe me I am so often aware of sitting on the ground even after I get up (ooooh).

yes even cushions can feel like rocks after some time ...  :P

Metta, Stefan
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:33:00 PM by stefan »
anicca