Author Topic: Overthinking Vipassana  (Read 9887 times)

dobe

Re: Overthinking Vipassana
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 02:17:44 AM »
   I have heard that The Truth is the same everywhere, for all of time and place.  That a fully enlightened being is speaking from the same consciousness. Eg. Buddha, Krishna, Christ, Zoroaster.  It is the people to which they are speaking to that creates "apparent" differences in the teachings.  I am not familiar with Goenka really, but just dont take anything anyone says for granted.  Meditate on it, contemplate the Truth.

Methods and techniques are not that important.  In the beginning of ones practice, I found it was easier to cultivate joy for the practice first, Shamatha, then Vipassana came naturally.  Which ever technique and sitting posture is the simplest and easiest for you, go with that.  Honestly you can start out in your favorite slouched position, just make sure you can sit still there for 10-20minutes w/o too much discomfort... So whatever posture is comfortable for you is the rule of thumb(if you have terrible knee flexibility, it may not be the best to sit in some sort of lotus if it destroys your knees in the process). 
   Then you just just practice releasing and becoming more aware of warm sensations and, first it is ok to get an attachment to those warm, joyful sensations that come and go.  do short 10-20minute sessions throughout the day when you can, and try and maintain whatever awareness you have cultivated when you open your eyes and when you stand up.  Make it your intention to say yes to all peace, love, harmony, equanimity and make it UNCONDITIONAL.  This declaration will bring up everything negative within you to be resolved.  As one slowly begins to release on all negatives, endorphins fill ones brain on the daily and life will seem to be more loving and joyful.  With emotions like negative emotions(sin i guess) are surrendered, and instead one says yes to the positive, the practice(and life in general) becomes easier.

Dont get caught up in the details of this folks.  It doesn't matter if you wear sandals, use incense, the particular mantra, focus on this oh, no, that! etc.. The details dont matter.  So if this goenka guy makes you do too much formal stuff that doesn't really seem to help increase one's consciousness... just habit forming trappings and half truths, then choose more simple time honored practices that involve devotion to the Truth, and anything that cultivates Love in general. 

maybeiam

• Nature is a beautiful peace to be
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 05:08:53 AM »
that was brilliant dobe
hugs
Bless you

Lokuttara

• Trekking the hills of dhamma
    • Vipassanamurti
    • Love cycling into the blue skies and enjoying the first touches of Spring!
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
  I have heard that The Truth is the same everywhere, for all of time and place.  That a fully enlightened being is speaking from the same consciousness. Eg. Buddha, Krishna, Christ, Zoroaster.  It is the people to which they are speaking to that creates "apparent" differences in the teachings.  I am not familiar with Goenka really, but just dont take anything anyone says for granted.  Meditate on it, contemplate the Truth.

Methods and techniques are not that important.  

Great posts dobe! I really admire your relaxed, balanced and intelligent approach to meditative practise. From my experience also, techniques and ways of practise are all leading to the same thing. So it's all one, there is no separation. There can be no conflict as the truth is universal. The only separation that exists is the separation that comes from the mental conditioning, and mental ideas about different teachings (usually due to over-thinking).

I think this is why I find the Goenka courses amazing and truly inspirational - to me it's all the same thing. I'm practising no technique, I'm not following anyone, there is no teacher. Some people go to those courses and end up thinking too much about the instructions. Just relax, breath... it all points to the same truth, and Goenka encourages people to relax and stay with the truth of anicca. There is nothing formal, no half-truths or habit forming trappings. To me, it's the practical version of J.Krishnamurti, and that's how I approach it, in a relaxed, slow, easy fashion - without any pressure and with plenty of full body, relaxed awareness :) But then somebody else goes to a Goenka course (or doesn't, in some cases!) and finds something totally different and has a negative experience. I guess it just shows that none of us is right or wrong, but we divide up the immediate truth based on abstractions from our own mental conditioning and sankaras.

Methods and techniques are of no importance. Goenkas, Sayadaws, Rinpoches, Krishnamurtis, Ajahns, Tolles, etc. are not any different from one another in the end. It's all one wisdom! The difference between techniques and teachers seems to be so irrelevant. All you need to do is go to the one truth pointed to by them all.... and that truth is.... relax, breath, be aware of the now :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:54:25 PM by Lokuttara »
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
Nicely put dobe & Lokuttara
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

jeepneyko

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »
that was very nicely put.. just sit, breathe and be aware! sounds like Krishnamurti to me. hehehe ;)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
jeepneyko,

It also sounds like Alan Watts, Osho and a bunch of other people. The truth is but the truth, timeless, yet expressed in different ways in different cultures.

The point is not "what is the right way?" - the question to ask is "What is my right way?", a question each of us must answer as we walk the path.

Welcome to the forums. I hope the discussion here helps your practice.

Warmly, in the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~