Author Topic: Posture  (Read 2329 times)

rideforever

Posture
« on: December 03, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
Hi

I am wondering if there is any problem with sitting with your back against the wall or lying in shavasana.

I can sit in a tradition position but it becomes painful and my legs fall asleep.  Should I really carry on with this ?  What's the point ?

If I sit with my back against a wall, spine straight, burmese legs ... then I can instantly relax and go in no problem.  And sometimes I can also go straight in in shavasana (without falling asleep).  Feels like progress.

Sitting 'normally' is possible but sometimes it's just a war.  In between the pain I have moments of peace.  Is this war necessary ?  And why ?

Thats my question.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Posture
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
You may well fall asleep. Unless the trauma you have spoken of could have lead to physical damage (PM me if you want more information) then it is the usual case of "you have a weak back and poor posture" - like about 90%+ of the population.

Better to sit on a dining type chair, one that puts your knees at the same height as your hips, ankles straight under knees, feet straight forwards, sitting upright AND NOT USING THE BACK OF THE CHAIR for support.

This will be easier than sitting on the floor, but the real long term answer is to strengthen your back muscles. Swimming, walking, running - and particularly deal with any postural imbalances. This won't just serve you in meditation but many ways for the rest of your life.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Morning Dew

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
Try sitting on the toilet seat with the lid closed. I find this space very private at times (lock the door and fly baby fly ;) )

Even though being a joker I am not jokeing this time, dead serious. Try and see.

It matters little how you sit. Keeping the practice alive is what matters.

Friendly

rideforever

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
What is the benefit of sitting without back support ?  This is my question.

I have just been doing some meditation.  Sitting on the floor with my back against my bed, spine still very vertical, I can relax readily practice and make progress, I can follow my breath very nicely and expand my awareness with ease. 

However, sitting on zafu (without back support) I spend most of the time noticing pain, or discomfort, or the lack of balance, and very very little making progress.  I am clinging on until the timer elapses. 

Is there a benefit to this traditional way of sitting.  Or is there no benefit ?  This is my question.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
Your back is weak. The benefit of strengthening it will not just improve and deepen your meditation but improve life in many ways.

If your back muscles can not support your spine then temporarily find a way to sit that works (such as the one you are using now or the dining chair method - have you tried that?) - but please don't think having a weak back for the rest of your life will be fun - it really, really won't. So better to strengthen it because as you age it will hurt a lot.

Also rather than a Zafu try sitting on something about 30cm high and quite hard - a few thick books (telephone directories are good) wrapped in a blanket. This will help your pelvic position tilt a little forwards and support your lower back properly.

The importance of sitting without back support is that it allows the abdomen and chest to open and relax properly. This is very hard to achieve using any back support.

Take your time exercising and strengthening your back - and preferably find a way to sit without back support in the mean time that is bearable.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~