Author Topic: what do you want what you really really want  (Read 8163 times)

Hulk Hoagie

Re: what do you want what you really really want
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 12:45:39 AM »
i can relate so deeply to everything that's been expressed in this thread. specifically

a) yes I want true liberation so very dearly.
b) I also need to stop CLINGING to it.
c) I am in the same boat as some of the others. That is, I believe very firmly that Nirvana is real but am not as convinced of reincarnation which can be a scary place to be. i.e. (there is no saying 'well, we'll get 'er next lifetime)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 05:40:28 AM »
i can relate so deeply to everything that's been expressed in this thread. specifically

a) yes I want true liberation so very dearly.
b) I also need to stop CLINGING to it.
c) I am in the same boat as some of the others. That is, I believe very firmly that Nirvana is real but am not as convinced of reincarnation which can be a scary place to be. i.e. (there is no saying 'well, we'll get 'er next lifetime)

You certainly will not get to a without b :) and c) Buddha did not talk of reincarnation but rebirth. And even that no one has ever been able to explain to me without getting confused in some way...... but I see it as mostly an excuse Buddhists use for not following the path which breaks the first rule of being on the path: don't lie to yourself.

Awakened mind is achievable by anyone in this lifetime. That is my understanding. (including married people - more later in your thread Hulk).

Matthew
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:43:17 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

joy

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 07:05:35 AM »
"All of us can get there if we do the work."

Really work can take us to liberation?
Then how the failure rate (99.9%) so high?
Joy

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »
"All of us can get there if we do the work."

Really work can take us to liberation?
Then how the failure rate (99.9%) so high?

joydip,

Because people are doing it wrong 99.9% of the time.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

joy

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:09 AM »
Naturaly I don't like to be in 99.9%. Is it possible to get right directions in the forum like this? I do anapana in my own way. I think I should stop it.
Joy

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
Naturaly I don't like to be in 99.9%. Is it possible to get right directions in the forum like this? I do anapana in my own way. I think I should stop it.

Joydip_ppl

There is a mistake in thinking that "enlightenment" or "awakening" is a work task.  That if one practices a long time and puts forth enough effort they will be rewarded with enlightenment or Nirvana.  This actually is a man-made construct of expecting reward for effort and is ultimately based in selfishness and desire.  Back in the day, there were people who just once listened to a teaching from the Buddha who then became awakened.  There is an oft used joke among teachers that meditation is just a tool for people who do not understand the teaching.

You will not find a "silver bullet" training method to your own awakening.  It is your responsibility to seek out your own salvation and do not expect to find it anywhere but within yourself.  All the teachings, regardless of where you seek, just point to the truth but are not the truth.  We are just the channel in which the universal intelligence seeks to express itself.  Not unlike a mother brings forth a child by allowing the mystery of life to pass through herself.  We are already complete and contain the entire cosmos within ourselves.  I feel that the "effort" is to overcome our thinking chatter and social conditioning to enjoy the experience.

Simply breathe, relax and be still.  Allow yourself to be.

Metta
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

joy

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
That's why they say 'Sadhus' are iferior than 'Shrabakas'
Thanks for your reply, I understand your point; simply breathe, relax and be still. I will continue my sitting.
Joydip

Joydip_ppl

There is a mistake in thinking that "enlightenment" or "awakening" is a work task.  That if one practices a long time and puts forth enough effort they will be rewarded with enlightenment or Nirvana.  This actually is a man-made construct of expecting reward for effort and is ultimately based in selfishness and desire.  
Back in the day, there were people who just once listened to a teaching from the Buddha who then became awakened.
 There is an oft used joke among teachers that meditation is just a tool for people who do not understand the teaching.

You will not find a "silver bullet" training method to your own awakening.  It is your responsibility to seek out your own salvation and do not expect to find it anywhere but within yourself.  All the teachings, regardless of where you seek, just point to the truth but are not the truth.  We are just the channel in which the universal intelligence seeks to express itself.  Not unlike a mother brings forth a child by allowing the mystery of life to pass through herself.  We are already complete and contain the entire cosmos within ourselves.  I feel that the "effort" is to overcome our thinking chatter and social conditioning to enjoy the experience.

Simply breathe, relax and be still.  Allow yourself to be.

Metta
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:33:23 AM by joydip_ppl »
Joy

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 06:40:49 AM »
99.9% look for results 0.1% are aware of the quality of each moment.

joy

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 07:31:02 AM »
Sorry for my earlier reply. It is clear to me how 99.9% are doing it in wrong way. I am very greatful to you that you have time for me also!

Joydip
Joy

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Joydip

Nothing to be sorry for.

We all seek understanding and peace. When we do not reach understanding it is natural to ask and question yourself and others. Take nothing at face value. Examine all "truths" to see if they are true for yourself. My short replies may not have been clear. Let me expand.

The point about 0.1% paying attention to the quality of the moment is that these people have understood all "goals" are set by ego. They let go of goals. 99.9% of meditators are working towards goals set by ego. This reinforces ego and makes it stronger. Even if on the surface of the ocean there seem to be less turbulent seas, underneath the currents become more turbulent.

People like to lie to themselves. It is a way of not facing hard issues. Be honest with yourself and remember that every moment - and how you live it - is what matters.

So do not be lead by some conceptualised ego-based goal of enlightenment. Be lead by your heart and mind and listening intently for the truths you hold inside.

It is not the truth that sets you free. "The truth" is a conceptualised goal.

It is living in truthfulness that can set you free. Truthfulness begins with yourself, is the foundation of awareness and the base upon which all good meditation builds. We practice on the cushion and calm our minds then we do the real thing at work, in our homes, offices at the grocery store and next time someone cuts you up on their motorcycle .. etc. We practice patience, a kind attitude, truthfulness, calm and developing awareness and then we apply them in life.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:39:50 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »