Author Topic: Ageing of Mind, Brain and Brain related components  (Read 3446 times)

RajeshKumar

Ageing of Mind, Brain and Brain related components
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »
I watched  program called Brilliant brain on National geographic channel. They said that the brain of a child at 3 years has many connections and if influence them use it at that time much they become geniuses. If not most of the neural nerve connections dont connect well to transmit messages.

Is it true that as the brain/human ages do the following components related to brain get weaker?
1) Memory
2) Mind power
3) Concentration
4) Intelligence

or is it something related to practicing good concentration techniques like vipassana and efforts by using the right methods/techniques.  I am asking this here because I was curious to know from people who have watched the brain in a logical way than the scientists who watch it in an experimental way.

Thank You
Rajesh

Flipasso

Re: Ageing of Mind, Brain and Brain related components
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 11:19:57 PM »
It's a bit subjective, I think, wether the brain gets "weaker" or not. But most people seem to agree that they're memory and concentration ablities get weaker as they get older.
I study Neurophysiology and a teacher told me that older people have dificulties learning new stuff, like playing the piano, playing soccer, dealing with computers, not because they can't make new sinapses(connections between neurons) but because they have trouble getting rid of the useless ones.
I saw a similar program in a science channel, and they sad that babies have a they're neurons more connected with each other, i.e., they have more connections, but they get rid of those connections as they age because they're unnecessary, at least in our cultures. For instance they showed that babies had more abilities to recognize chimpanzies faces than adults, but because it is not necessary to recognize chimpanzies as individuals they "forget" that ability and start getting experts on recognizing humans alone.
For aging, a lot of brain cells die, due to intoxication, trauma(physical), and aging so it's natural that the brain loses some of its power.
Sorry for the nerdie post.

peace@you.all

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »
My father never believed in the deterioration of memory with age. He believed the lifestyle of old people is what affect their memory. He lives his beliefs. My father started learning French at the age of sixty five and IT at the age of seventy two now he is fluent in four languages and an expert in IT. I don’t know if that is a separate case or because he keeps his memory sharp by doing puzzles and studying. I am hoping it is genetic  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 06:02:44 PM by Green Tara »
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Flipasso

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
Funny post, Inspiring story.
Let's hope it's genetic, and that your father's strong will passed on to you and that it is usefull in this path.
=)
peace@you.all

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 03:26:26 PM »
I think lifestyle is the largest component.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

pcaso

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »
Lifestyle definitely would be the key ingredient but wouldn't meditation practised regularly also enhance the 4 points mentioned by RajeshKumar?

If the right lifestyle is adapted with regular meditation it can be amazing what can happen.

Following the Middle Way should definitley pay handsome dividends.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »
My wonderful Grandmother died with 98 and had an excellent memory. My father will be 70 soon, finishes his history study right now and has a sometimes frightening memory for small details I'd like to forget ... there's a lot of components: genetic, lifestyle, and also food ... sure meditation can enhance it a lot  (it can even be enlightening  ;D)
... I personally think it's also a question of believe. we humans are easily influenced by teachings as "our brain decays with age" ...

Metta, Stefan
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:27:15 PM by stefan »
anicca

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »
Lifestyle definitely would be the key ingredient but wouldn't meditation practised regularly also enhance the 4 points mentioned by RajeshKumar?

Yes. Meditation is a component of lifestyle.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Flipasso

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:40:02 PM »
From the wikipedia's "Health applications and meditation clinical sudies of meditation" article:
The brain scan revealed that those who meditated have an increased thickness of gray matter in parts of the brain that are responsible for attention and processing sensory input.
The study also show that meditation helps slow down brain deteoriation due to aging.
It's worth giving it a try...